Everybody Loves But I Don't Get...
Probably gonna start a fight with this one. I don't get Sex and the City. Never have. Four unlikable, self-absorbed women celebrate their utterly unimpressive lives. Can't imagine time less well-spent.
The following 1 user Likes devilbk's post:
  • Nutz
(03-25-2014, 12:54 AM)devilbk Wrote: Probably gonna start a fight with this one. I don't get Sex and the City. Never have. Four unlikable, self-absorbed women celebrate their utterly unimpressive lives. Can't imagine time less well-spent.

Well, you could be watching a bunch of so-called smart people spiralling down into a mediocre existence of drink, sex and asinine behaviour?

I'm with you on the whole SatC thing, though. But I don't find watching anyone whining about their over-privileged first world problems interesting. As I was saying elsewhere, I don't get most of the prize-winning 'literature' out there. I'm sure it is all very worthy and well-written, but mostly, it is horrendously dull and navel-gazing.
The following 3 users Like SpaceAnJL's post:
  • devilbk, lewstonewar, Nutz
(03-25-2014, 12:54 AM)devilbk Wrote: Probably gonna start a fight with this one. I don't get Sex and the City. Never have. Four unlikable, self-absorbed women celebrate their utterly unimpressive lives. Can't imagine time less well-spent.

Was never even tempted to watch it. And I think Sarah Jessica Parker looks a lot like Mayim Bialik. Another strike against it.
The following 3 users Like FlyingMonkey's post:
  • devilbk, queenoftheDales, Nutz
Olivia Coleman. Am I missing something?
HARRISON FORD IS IRRADIATING OUR TESTICLES WITH MICROWAVE SATELLITE TRANSMISSIONS

AND WHO THE FUCK STOLE MY BOILED EGGS?
YES! She is brilliant, but subtle. Also became known through Peep Show. I'm sure Family Guy fans will remember Brian's review of Sex and the City. There's something about groups of men, or women, they seem to revert to adolescencent behaviour!
I also don't get Girls or why everyone thinks that Lena Dunham is so bloody brilliant. Maybe it's because I'm a guy. Or because I'm old. Or because I think that her and her hipster ilk are ruining Brooklyn for the rest of us.
The following 1 user Likes devilbk's post:
  • Wisp
Lady Gaga is confusing to me, but not in the good way. She's had some *good* songs, but I'm put off by how pretentious she seems. And I'm not talking about the outfits. No problem there. It's how she explians her outfits and music that pisses me off, as though there is some deep philosophical meaning to "do what you want with my body." She doesn't seem to be capable of stringing coherent sentences together either, as every interview I've seen her in has been horribly awkward and pointless, and she does that dumb-person thing of drawing out a simple point unnecessarily in an attempt to make it sound intelligent: "I perform my songs until they become a part of me, so that my fans see an outward manifestation of my being" (I'm sure she said this) Don't you mean "I practice my songs before a show"? Hm? And Artpop didn't cause the "revolutionary combination of art and pop" she was hoping for. I found an article that explains better why I don't get Gaga: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/fea...6836137106
HARRISON FORD IS IRRADIATING OUR TESTICLES WITH MICROWAVE SATELLITE TRANSMISSIONS

(06-02-2014, 05:02 PM)WITCHDOCTOR FANTASTIC Wrote: Lady Gaga is confusing to me, but not in the good way. She's had some *good* songs, but I'm put off by how pretentious she seems. And I'm not talking about the outfits. No problem there. It's how she explians her outfits and music that pisses me off, as though there is some deep philosophical meaning to "do what you want with my body." She doesn't seem to be capable of stringing coherent sentences together either, as every interview I've seen her in has been horribly awkward and pointless, and she does that dumb-person thing of drawing out a simple point unnecessarily in an attempt to make it sound intelligent: "I perform my songs until they become a part of me, so that my fans see an outward manifestation of my being" (I'm sure she said this) Don't you mean "I practice my songs before a show"? Hm? And Artpop didn't cause the "revolutionary combination of art and pop" she was hoping for. I found an article that explains better why I don't get Gaga: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/fea...6836137106

I know what you mean. I see her as a performance artist who's main 'art' is fashion and subverting fashion. I find her interesting to look at but have no interest in her music or interviews but from what little I've heard, it's quite ordinary. But then I don't have much interest in mainstream music anyway so that doesn't say much.
The following 1 user Likes Tuesday Pajamas's post:
  • Wisp
(06-02-2014, 06:42 PM)Tuesday Pajamas Wrote: I know what you mean. I see her as a performance artist who's main 'art' is fashion and subverting fashion. I find her interesting to look at but have no interest in her music or interviews but from what little I've heard, it's quite ordinary. But then I don't have much interest in mainstream music anyway so that doesn't say much.

I honestly think she should focus on fashion design or something, maybe release a line of clothing. I think the world could cope without her music. It's the fact that she passes off what she's doing as more interesting than it really is. "I live for the applause-plause live for the applause-plause" is a fine musical hook, but IT'S NOT ANYTHING ELSE.

(06-02-2014, 06:49 PM)WITCHDOCTOR FANTASTIC Wrote: I honestly think she should focus on fashion design or something, maybe release a line of clothing. I think the world could cope without her music. It's the fact that she passes off what she's doing as more interesting than it really is. "I live for the applause-lause live for the applause-plause" is a fine musical hook, but IT'S NOT ANYTHING ELSE.

I certainly cope quite nicely without her music. It lets her down because it's so pedestrian compared to the eccentric face she shows off to the world. I think she should go off and be an artist. But most of them enjoy the attention too much. Until the public gets sick of them.