Everybody Loves But I Don't Get...
(02-10-2014, 01:28 AM)pilot fish Wrote: I have this thang! If everyone is into something, I think they must be being brainwashed. Maybe I'm just awkward. Years later I'll usually come to appreciate that singer, film whatever. I think hype and mob mentality are best avoided. Yes, ha! ha! George Clooney probably does smell of piss and cigs, but also money! He's done well from parodying Cary Grant.

Hellllooooo Pilot Fish, welcome to HQ. I love your avatar BTW.
Thanks Tuesday Pajamas, just trying to catch up with you (so many posts!). But glad to be finally back!!
The following 1 user Likes ricardo shillyshally's post:
  • Tuesday Pajamas
Firstly I did find a coulpe of great things to watch recently; Tomboy, Dir: Celine Sciamma, and A History of Horror with Mark Gatiss. I do sometimes watch a little of a programme to see WHY? But do some modern programmes seem a bit cruel? Locking a group of disparate wannabes in a house together(I watched some of the first Big Brother, the concept sounded novel!). Or there's one where they put someone with OCD in dirty, hoarder's house,(yes Howard, you were using Sheldon, but it backfired!). Also 'Sea, sex and suspicious parents', that not only seems cruel to the youngsters experiencing freedom for the first time, but also to their parents!!
The following 1 user Likes ricardo shillyshally's post:
  • queenoftheDales
What everybody loves but I don't get...The Bachelor/Bachelorette.

What is it about a show having a bunch of desperate singles competing for the chance at a almost guaranteed failed relationship. I get no entertainment out of watching a bunch of thirsty woman cat-fighting over some dude who isn't even that great of a catch. They do know he spits the same game at all of them and has made out with all of them too, right? That show is a walking Mono case waiting to happen. My friend is obsessed with watching the show and I listen to her fan-girl all over this Juan-Pablo character. I personally think his "I'm from Spain, everything is lost in translation" act is lame.

Also, I want to add those legging/ yoga pants and fuzzy boots. I have been out in -20F weather with 6+ inches of snow, walking around campus in my snowboading gear, and next to me is some chick in fuzzy boots and damn near transparent leggings. Really?? is frostbite worth it? Maybe in the spring/fall, but not during an arctic blast. Common sense, ladies Dodgy
The following 2 users Like queenoftheDales's post:
  • CassandraElise, Nutz
(02-25-2014, 08:03 AM)queenoftheDales Wrote: What everybody loves but I don't get...The Bachelor/Bachelorette.

What is it about a show having a bunch of desperate singles competing for the chance at a almost guaranteed failed relationship. I get no entertainment out of watching a bunch of thirsty woman cat-fighting over some dude who isn't even that great of a catch. They do know he spits the same game at all of them and has made out with all of them too, right? That show is a walking Mono case waiting to happen. My friend is obsessed with watching the show and I listen to her fan-girl all over this Juan-Pablo character. I personally think his "I'm from Spain, everything is lost in translation" act is lame.

Ugh, the Bachelor/Bachelorette gives me the willies. Blech. I hate that it's on right before Castle. I always have to mute the channel until my program starts so I don't get polluted. LOL

Quote:Also, I want to add those legging/ yoga pants and fuzzy boots. I have been out in -20F weather with 6+ inches of snow, walking around campus in my snowboading gear, and next to me is some chick in fuzzy boots and damn near transparent leggings. Really?? is frostbite worth it? Maybe in the spring/fall, but not during an arctic blast. Common sense, ladies Dodgy

Fashion has never made sense to me. There's a reason I am never in style, because I refuse to suffer to look "cool."
Okay, I've never really thought that The Shining, was all that good. Big Kubrick fan, and there are parts I like; the helicopter photography at beginning, the screeching violins to denote fear(although I found most of the orchestral soundtrack old fashioned), the malevolent twins, but that's about it! [Image: twins1_0.jpg]
Whoa! I didn't know how deeply The Shining is embedded in my psyche until now. "Come play with us, Danny, forever and ever..." immediately started singsonging in my head.

I also hadn't realized how iconic that image is and am fascinated/repulsed by all the imitators. Like this one.

[Image: 2zxntr7.jpg]
OH PLEASE...
Yes, those imitators are gross. I saw lots while finding image. I'm being really lazy here, but where does that trope of evil twins, originate. Although often one twin is evil, and the other not! I know from basic read, that it's been used in everything from Star Trek('Mirror,Mirror'), to South Park. [Image: spock-424x318.jpg]
Several mythologies have a duality concept in their creation myths, equal and opposite forces that come into being at the same instant.

The goatee to distinguish the 'evil' twin is a totally Trek invention, though, as far as I am aware.
The following 1 user Likes SpaceAnJL's post:
  • ricardo shillyshally
Which is the evil reflection!!!! [Image: tumblr_kqcxikTwfO1qa3eazo1_500.jpg] [Image: tumblr_m88oyo4hpN1qcyjsqo1_400.jpg]
The following 2 users Like ricardo shillyshally's post:
  • Wisp, Idle Miscreant