A passionate and impulsive woman.
Quote:Hey, I want Leonard to get together with SHELDON...so what do I know.
Although I suspect it might be quite difficult to prise Sheldon away from Wil Wheaton.

Yes, I like the Sheldon & Leonard friendship, when things are actually going well and Leonard is actually acting like a friend. I don't have much of a problem with early-seasons Leonard. I don't hate him. He's kind of a back-stabber at times and he's easily my least favorite of the four guys, but I don't actively dislike him. Sometimes I get the sense that Galecki is a good actor who is not well-served by the material. He has the occasional moment where he shines. I don't actively dislike early-seasons Lenny, either, I just find it very boring.

Really, I like all kinds of pairings. I just want them to stay in the fanfic realm and not take over the show. I'm not a hardcore slasher, but I'd like to see more slash in this fandom, simply because anything is a refreshing change from the canon pairings. I know a lot of people hate Leonard, with good reason, but the fact that he's one of the original 5 characters makes him legit in my eyes. I dislike some of the things he does, but I don't object to his very existence.
(10-31-2014, 10:20 AM)Idle Miscreant Wrote: Hey, I want Leonard to get together with SHELDON...so what do I know.
Although I suspect it might be quite difficult to prise Sheldon away from Wil Wheaton.

Oh sure, play the Shelnard card on me. Dirty pool, IM. Tongue
Let's go exploring!
Quote:When it comes to writing Bernadette I've always had problems because she's the drop-in candidate. No back story. No strength to her character beyond being Howard's girlfriend. That's why I always slapped her together with Howard as she really never 'animates' until they become a unit.

In my writing, I have no problem simply pretending she never existed Wink I don't try to address canon events in my fic, except in an oblique way. I just proceed as if this show ended after S2, or I rewind and start fresh from S1 or earlier, and that way I don't have to deal with canon at all. I see no reason to acknowledge the later seasons or any recent canon events, in my fic. If other people are able to wrangle the current canon into something more manageable, more power to them; I'd rather wipe the slate clean and start again.

I'm not labeling my fic "AU", either. I resent the idea that something which could've been perfectly canonical for the first three or four years of the show, is now "AU."
(11-03-2014, 09:04 AM)Louise Wrote: In my writing, I have no problem simply pretending she never existed Wink I don't try to address canon events in my fic, except in an oblique way. I just proceed as if this show ended after S2, or I rewind and start fresh from S1 or earlier, and that way I don't have to deal with canon at all. I see no reason to acknowledge the later seasons or any recent canon events, in my fic. If other people are able to wrangle the current canon into something more manageable, more power to them; I'd rather wipe the slate clean and start again.

For me, I like all of the characters in their early incarnations so I tend to use all of them in my stories. However, with you in mind, I thought over my stories and realize that I never gave Bernadette much to do. She just isn't able to stand on her own. Maybe next time I can say there's been an accident at the university lab and that she's in quarantine so Penny needs to take over her shifts at the Cheesecake Factory. Big Grin

I made the mistake of writing one story set in the later seasons and it took something like 18 chapters just to get Penny to the point where she was a capable human being again. Writing her life with Leonard based on canon was so *depressing* that I vowed that this was my first and last current season fic. That's why my last fic was a rewrite of the early episodes. Therapy for me.
Let's go exploring!
The following 2 users Like wellplayedpenny's post:
  • Gamma, Louise
Quote:I made the mistake of writing one story set in the later seasons and it took something like 18 chapters just to get Penny to the point where she was a capable human being again.

I believe it. Undecided That's the type of thing I don't want to deal with. I have the attitude of "as long as I don't acknowledge the later seasons, they're not "real." It's that type of "magical thinking" where mentioning something makes it real.

Quote:For me, I like all of the characters in their early incarnations so I tend to use all of them in my stories.

I ship Howard/Raj in a shippy way, so I wouldn't be super-enthused about B. even if she'd remained pleasant. IDK, I'm an "original five characters fundamentalist." I tend to be skeptical of new characters in any fandom, not just this one. It's cool that you're able to make the situation work for you, though.
I can completely understand the hesitancy to use B/A in stories. While Amy appears more in my stories than Bernadette I still do my best to keep her to the side because she works best as an addition rather than a central character. I find that the story works best with the central unit plus Penny with any additional characters added as needed.

I'm assuming your fan fic is Howard-centric? It'll be neat-o if it is because stories with him in the 'lead' are rather rare.
Let's go exploring!
The following 1 user Likes wellplayedpenny's post:
  • Trust No One
(11-04-2014, 08:04 AM)wellplayedpenny Wrote: I can completely understand the hesitancy to use B/A in stories. While Amy appears more in my stories than Bernadette I still do my best to keep her to the side because she works best as an addition rather than a central character. I find that the story works best with the central unit plus Penny with any additional characters added as needed.

I'm assuming your fan fic is Howard-centric? It'll be neat-o if it is because stories with him in the 'lead' are rather rare.

One of the many reasons your stories work so well WPP. You get it and TPTB do not.
The following 1 user Likes Trust No One's post:
  • wellplayedpenny
Maybe this is wishful thinking, but I'd like to think Leslie would tell off A and/or B. She certainly wouldn't take crap from them, at the very least, and she wouldn't want to sit around gossiping and talking about shopping. She's not always nice and she can be insensitive, but on the whole, she's one of the good guys. B. wouldn't be able to handle the fact that Howard slept with Leslie; since apparently the revelation of Howard's various past sexual experiences got B. so upset in Stag Night.
I think the comparison with A and B makes me like Leslie more than I otherwise would; but she's also more believable as a scientist than they are. They're not believable as scientists, to me. Also, her physical appearance is normal, whereas they are so cartoony and sitcommy. This is what I mean when I say that B. looks like she's been photoshopped into the scene. (and I love that in one scene, Leslie is wearing a sweater with dinosaurs on it! Cute.)
The following 1 user Likes Louise's post:
  • queenoftheDales
(01-30-2015, 08:23 AM)Louise Wrote: Maybe this is wishful thinking, but I'd like to think Leslie would tell off A and/or B. She certainly wouldn't take crap from them, at the very least, and she wouldn't want to sit around gossiping and talking about shopping. She's not always nice and she can be insensitive, but on the whole, she's one of the good guys. B. wouldn't be able to handle the fact that Howard slept with Leslie; since apparently the revelation of Howard's various past sexual experiences got B. so upset in Stag Night.
I think the comparison with A and B makes me like Leslie more than I otherwise would; but she's also more believable as a scientist than they are. They're not believable as scientists, to me. Also, her physical appearance is normal, whereas they are so cartoony and sitcommy. This is what I mean when I say that B. looks like she's been photoshopped into the scene. (and I love that in one scene, Leslie is wearing a sweater with dinosaurs on it! Cute.)

What I give to have Leslie come back and lay the smackdown on the rediculousness that's happening now. Leslie was a brilliant character and I miss her IDGAF attitude. I loved her (Sara Gilbert's) delivery too. Reminds me of Daria....
[Image: ec4e6bd73c9e13963143908b758597d2.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes queenoftheDales's post:
  • Louise
(01-30-2015, 12:35 PM)queenoftheDales Wrote: What I give to have Leslie come back and lay the smackdown on the rediculousness that's happening now. Leslie was a brilliant character and I miss her IDGAF attitude. I loved her (Sara Gilbert's) delivery too. Reminds me of Daria....
[Image: ec4e6bd73c9e13963143908b758597d2.jpg]

I thought Leslie always going after Sheldon got old though. I like the characters staying true to themselves, though once in a while we get a different look to keep things fresh.