Shenny's Cognitive Theory of Dreaming!
Okay, so about a year ago, when I was working a receptionist gig at a non-profit teaching the English language--as well as helping people brush up on the subjects needed to attain their GED's--I was invited to a swell cocktail party. A book fundraiser for the organization. I'd never been to such an affair, and was glad to be invited/included. The dream I had took place the night of this swank affair.

So, in this dream, I'm at this swank cocktail party. Yeah, I was at the fundraising thing. But instead of it being at the modern/contemporary-styled hotel, it was held in some kind of mansion. With gilt chandeliers and the whole bit. There was a guy there that I had my eye on. A photographer that's one of the volunteer tutors at the literacy place. This guy is FUNNY and smart and nice. And just someone that..well, he makes a pretty damn memorable first impression. His name is Troy. When he introduced himself to me, it was like, he stepped forward with his dominant leg, yes, planted his foot, held his hand out, and announced, "I'm TROY!" But, instead of extending his hand in a handshake, it was extended like, when Penny said, "I'm an ACTOR!" This made me love him right from the get-go. 

So anyway, I did end up spending time talking to Troy at the actual fundraiser. So it was weird how much, in the dream, stuff played out like it did in real life. Except, Troy and I were some kind of established couple. Only, as friendly and warm and demonstrative he is in real life, this version of Troy was more reserved. And serious. Which I didn't know what to do with. 

Okay, so I'm flitting about at this cocktail party. Making the rounds. When I find Troy, I see he's sitting with a much older woman. One with $$, as she's dripping in furs and diamonds. So I come up behind him, to plant an affectionate kiss on his cheek. Now, RL Kim..I don't do that. I'm more or less like Vintage Sheldon in that I don't do the PDA stuff. Even though I'm a warm person, and can be touchy-feely, it doesn't always seem an appropriate thing. And especially if it makes the other person uncomfortable (which I think it generally can.) 

But in the dream..well, RL Troy is SUCH a nice guy. He's so friendly and..he just doesn't seem to care whether he's approved of or not. So I guess I sort of see him as someone that would appreciate a small token of affection. But in the dream, he stiffened when I put my arms around him. Became aloof, uncomfortable. And I was all like, wth? 'Cos I had this sense that Dream Troy had gotten my defenses down, as I believe Real Troy would. But then I realized, he was showing discomfort because of this Cruella DeVille type chick sitting across from him. She looked down her nose at me (imagine a person sitting down looking down her nose at a person sitting up. Quite a trick!)  

Anyway..this pissed me off. The realization that this chick was disapproving of me. Or, at least the kind of relationship between myself and Troy. And he seemed to be trying to please her, get her approval. Which just turned me off completely. So..well, in general, I try to avoid conflicts. I don't like making waves. Especially with people I feel are trying to intimidate me. But in the dream, I was like..like I stepped forward, and said, "Look you old bitty. I don't care if you approve of me or not. Just 'cos you've got money..doesn't give you carte blanche to control everyone in the room" etc, etc. So, with one last look at the now pitiable Troy, I walked out of the room. And straight into another.

(Cont'd on next comment)
"The mark of mediocrity is to look for precedent."   Norman Mailer
The following 1 user Likes Kimk26's post:
  • Trust No One

Messages In This Thread
RE: Shenny's Cognitive Theory of Dreaming! - by Kimk26 - 10-20-2015, 01:24 PM