SPOILER WARNING: The Elegant Universe- An In-depth Review/Analysis
Shintaro Kozu's in-depth review/analysis of The Elegant Universe by Nyx Underwood

THIS IS GOING TO BE LONG, SO I HAVE BROKEN IT INTO SECTIONS THAT ARE EASILY DISTINGUISHABLE FOR YOUR PURPOSES AND CONVENIENCE.

ALSO THERE WILL BE DIRECT QUOTATIONS FROM THE FICTION THAT MIGHT BE SPOILERISH. READ WITH CAUTION AND KNOW WHAT YOU CAN TAKE AND CAN'T.

Hello fellow Forum-ites, I'm Shintaro Kozu, and whilst I am still relatively new, I would like to at least contribute something to this wonderful place(since I think that you guys will be greatly contributing to my writing) by at least giving you my opinions of certain fictions. Of course, many people have done similar things, and there is a wonderful fiction recommendation thread located in the same section as this review (In fact, The Elegant Universe is listed in Post #3 of that thread by the poster queenoftheDales and I am positive it is listed in the very impressively comprehensive Fanfiction collection started and maintained by the poster Nutz, even if I myself can't locate its specific location in the collection. They deserve a fair few shout outs from other posters, and this is mine). A lot of you have no doubt perused both the thread and the collections to your heart's content and if you haven't its HIGHLY reccomended, but I find that an in-depth review on why something (in this case, a particular fiction) is good is as enjoyable as the something itself (often times, in-depth reviews have enhanced my perspective of the fan-created universe I have had the honor of stepping into). This is why I am going to be as comprehensive as possible to the point that many of you may (and probably will) find excessive. Also, it is my goal to give you the best review possible, so its as much a personal is it is a professional desire.

I highly doubt (to the point of near absolute certainty) that I will do this for EVERY fiction that I read because of time and my own obligations (I.E School, studies for school, clubs, writing my own fiction, blogging and not to mention sexytimes Wink). However, I do have plans on doing a lot of the fiction that has inspired me in my writing and what I hope to achieve with it along with some that really stand above the rest (in this particular fiction's case, its both).

I feel compelled to repeat (in case you don't read bold, contrasting letters Tongue) that there will be spoilers, but I doubt that they will be anything that will completely and utterly ruin the experience for you (but I can't say for sure). Still, I will try to use a spoiler tag as much as possible or, failing that, notify you ahead of time of an impending spoiler.

So without further ado, lets get to it!

General Thoughts of the fiction

First and foremost, I would like to say that this fiction is one of the best things I have had the honor to read in a long time. Not only is the plot deep, but the author allows each character to be portrayed exactly in-character whilst abandoning the "comedy" atmosphere that show and several authors have perfected (Namely JLynnB, I'll review her (his?) stuff later as well). While an atmosphere that is reminiscent of the show is a huge positive for most fictions (just read JLynnB's work), in this case, the opposite holds true. This is a much more serious story, which realistic characters, realistic emotions, and nothing really played for comedy (the comedic elements that do appear are used more as tools to enhance the "in-character-ness" of the characters in the fanfiction, which is very important in my opinion). The Elegant Universe takes the characters that we know and love and translates them (Almost transports them, really) into a more realistic medium, where their emotions and scenarios aren't just for laughs. Another great aspect of the fiction in question is the effective use of the prose. It is sophisticated, and deeply engaging.

In the first chapter, we get a rather moving glimpse into Sheldon's past, and there are a myriad of very notable quotes like:
Quote:That thirst to learn more, that unwavering desire to understand, to make sense of, to hold the entire universe in his hand and know its terrifying beauty: that desire became the single point that Sheldon Cooper marched towards, compass in hand.
and:
Quote:It was a complex hatred, one that was borne of realising that Nature gifts some with greater tools than others – knowing, some for the first time, that no matter how hard they worked, how desperately they wanted it, this strange little kid with a small train figurine always clutched in his little fist would always have what they lacked.

It was the difference between brilliance and genius. And they hated him for his gifts, almost as much as they hated him for his strange catalog of eccentricities – the surgical gloves he liked to wear, his utter incomprehension of social dynamics, the lack of empathy and know-it-all rants, the fact he never seemed to quite understand the joke at his expense, the fact he never had a retort other than pointing out the undeniable truth that he was smarter than them.

He would look around blankly, uncertain why he was being mocked but with enough experience to know that he was.

You can clearly see the immense detail that the author goes into (with his flowing word choice that just seems too perfect) when trying to establish Sheldon. He does this effectively, and this is done throughout the fiction, which leads me to another topic: characterization. I'll first start with Sheldon and then one section to cover (briefly) the others.

I would like to point out that my intention with giving Sheldon his own section while lumping the other characters into one is not to belittle the other characters in this fiction. They are all deeply explored (Penny as equally as Sheldon), and are keeping within the really high standard of characterization that the fiction has shown with the Whackadoodle. The reason I separated the two is to point out something else that the fiction does extremely well, it makes a strange character like Sheldon (as he is portrayed in the show and in other fictions) understandable (but still not relatable) to the readers, which is as noteworthy as it is difficult.

The other characters are relatable (or at least were relatable) to some degree. Penny's purpose in the show is specifically to be an Everyman-esque character. To have a normal perspective amongst abnormal people. Leonard's faults and mistakes are at least reminiscent of many of the inexperienced with women. Howard is the one guy we ALL know that can turn anything and everything into an innuendo or a line. Raj, too, is relatable in the fact that he is shyness with women personified. All four characters have done, thought, or experienced something that the reader or audience can connect with. This makes perfect sense, as the TV show would like to hit as many demographics as possible in order to gain more viewers and keep them (example: Raj's attitude with romance and reading books commonly associated with women, and often reminiscent of a homosexual man).

Sheldon is exactly the opposite, which makes him more significant in my opinion.

His purpose, it seemed was to be unrelatable, unique, special, exotic I dare say. Sheldon drew a nice contrast with the rest of the characters, and this contrast is why I believe he became so successful. He's popular because Sheldon Lee Cooper was like no-one the majority of the audience had ever experienced before.

Sheldon is popular because he stands out amongst even a unique crowd.

However, the recent seasons have slowly dwindled (rather successfully it seems) that uniqueness away (much to the horror of many Shenny shippers or Vintage Sheldon purists like myself).

The Elegant Universe honors the Vintage Era by fully taking place with its establish timeline, and makes numerous references that makes the old, familiar, and likable characters come alive with his characterizations that enhances rather than does away with their established personalities. That's why its stands above some of the other well-written fictions, it reminds me of the good times without it feeling forced.

The Elegant Universe is one of the only fictions where that unique, beautiful creature named Sheldon Cooper is celebrated fully and one of the only fictions where maybe (if it was properly finished) we could become acquainted with again.

Sheldon

One of the good things about this fiction, something I particularly enjoy, is that it makes Sheldon seem more real, rather than a reiteration of the canon Sheldon or a Vintage Sheldon. Nyx also does a wonderful job of referencing the show's Sheldon as well as adding his unique additions to his character(mainly done through flashbacks) throughout the fic, see here (This quote spoils the season three opener, and not the fic iself, so I believe its safe to read):

Quote:In three months, Howard, Raj and (this still brought a pang) Leonard had taken this identity and torn it neatly in half.

They had their excuses, of course. He was insufferable. He was a total dick(tator) and Dick(ensian). But even as they arrived in Texas to take him home, even as they apologised to him – and he tiredly forgave them because it was easier to do that then try to start over – he couldn't help but feel like the little kid in the front row of his high school class who was trying to figure out why they were laughing at him.

This quote illustrates how the author painstakingly and ingeniously crafts a Sheldon that conforms beautifully with the show(at least from seasons 1-2) as well as a Sheldon that is unique and fresh to the reader.

This fic really goes the extra mile with Sheldon. Every chapter has a glimpse at him, past and present (2009 which is the present in the fiction). It shows his struggles with not fitting in, being the black sheep of the family, and other such occurrences. All of this helps cement the multi-dimensional character that Sheldon is, a multi-dimensional character that the show only hints at (again, because of the show's comedic purpose).

I am going to give you an example of this by taking a scene from Chapter 2 (its a flashback scene which the fiction distinguishes by a Line break accompanied by a date, time and location of the setting).

NOTE: if, for some reason, you don't feel like reading it (the quote is really effective [I would argue more so] when you read the whole chapter along with it), you can skip the obvious quote distinction and just read my thoughts on it, which will be written in a manner that doesn't absolutely require you to know it.

Quote:3 March 1991, 4.30pm

Galveston, Texas

For the last four weeks, he has fetched the mail, buzzing with anticipation but still earnestly ensuring that his pale skin doesn't make contact with the rust of the mailbox.

But, when the letter finally arrives, he doesn't open it.

Hours pass and he stares at the A4-sized envelope. It is heavy. It is large. It is full of promise. But he examines it carefully in his spot in the attic. He runs his hands over the words that form the very centre of his identity:

Mr Sheldon Cooper

And there in the top right corner is the crest of the University of Texas.

He is not nervous. He feels absolutely nothing. But he has been sitting here for an hour, examining the package. His mother calls for him but he doesn't hear.

Then, for no outward reason at all, he nods his head and flips the envelope over in his lap. With steady hands, he neatly opens it and pulls out the stack of documents: the glossy brochure and the measly sheet of paper that reads:

It gives me great pleasure to inform you…

And with that, his life changes forever. Just like that, he becomes more than the skinny know-it-all who no one sits next to and who doesn't seem to notice.

He is eleven years old and doesn't realize that he's crying until the tears hit the page.

The above quote cements who Sheldon is, an emotional person who just has emotions about different things. Most people know how dedicated he is to science (Even the show depicts that fairly well), but this fiction, by this quote, does extra and tries to depict (convincingly) just how in love and emotionally invested he is in learning, science and his future. This started young, as we suspected and as the show hinted, but it was, again, something never really seen in the show. That's one the greatest beauties of fanfiction as a whole, it allows you access to things that was never within the scope of the original work. It also not only displays Sheldon as younger, but still remarkably in-line with what we can expect from his past on the show. The quote also accurately, beautifully and realistically displays excitement, blending the principles of showing the reader and telling the reader, in order to achieve the author's desired affects. I say affects because that's the mark of a good work of fiction. Only in good work of fiction can the reader come to many different conclusions, learn many different characteristics and embody many emotions or stances whilst reading only one scene.

This fiction accomplishes that consistently throughout.

This fiction also explains his first brush with science (Sheldon's brain is wired perfectly for science, but his brain is useless and wasted if he isn't exposed to it) in Chapter One in a beautifully written and relevant flashback (Not separated by a line break, because of its importance to the main idea of the first section in chapter). I would like to give an example of how that scene affected Sheldon (I'm leaving the scene out because it, along with the first chapter, deserves to be read in its entirety).

FEEL FREE TO SKIP THE QUOTE BELOW IF YOU WANT TO AVOID EMOTIONAL SPOILERS (IF YOU ARE TOTALLY AGAINST SPOILERS OF ANY KIND, IT WOULD BE IN YOURS BEST INTERESTS TO SKIP ALL QUOTES UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED

Quote:There, in the living room of his house in Galveston, Texas, Sheldon Cooper found a single point of order in chaotic reality...For the first time, he had found something that he didn't understand right away. For the first time, he had a puzzle that actually made him take pause for a moment.

From that moment, a new world opened up before him. But really, it was a multitude of worlds, incalculable dimensions. Day by day, in the attic of a house in Texas, a little boy appreciated for the first time the stately waltz of orbiting binary stars and the frantic dance of subatomic quarks.

This explanation emphasizes Sheldon's emotional response to an event that might seem rather insignificant to some of us, but this seemingly insignificant event is a moment that will shape Sheldon forever.

Let's compare this with a quote from another work. We'll use my own fiction, Entropy (Chapter 1), which tries to attempt something similar. This, dear reader, you may read without fear of spoiling the fiction.

Quote:If Sheldon ever came close to what people consider a 'religious experience', it happened on April 17, 1982.

It was on the day that he was introduced to something that had been largely unknown to the prodigy: Order. On April 17, 1982, Sheldon's Meemaw took him to what he now considers his first 'Fortress of Solitude', the Galveston Public Library. It was there, among the volumes of paper (inked knowledge that was ready to be discovered), that Sheldon had made a discovery that changed his life forever. He had found order, labels and routines.

Sheldon found the three ideas that became the foundations of his life...

...So, from that point on, Sheldon Cooper longed and strived to put his life in order; to catalogue everything. If he had ordered everything, made things neater, labeled and put items in their correct places, maybe the broken home Sheldon Cooper was living in would cease to be broken.

Notice the different styles? I would like you to make note on how the event in The Elegant Universe is described and how it also makes equal effort to cement the emotional consequences through its unique prose, while Entropy mainly focused on using a particular event, in different prose (less elegant, in my opinion), to explain a certain behavior as well as to introduce a practical plot point (Which I cut out to save space). Entropy focused less on how that event made Sheldon feel, and more on introducing a rationale behind a behavior common to Sheldon.

Similar events, different purposes, different focuses, different style, and different reactions from readers.

That's why, regardless of if you have read an even vaguely similar fiction that deals with the Season 3 opener commonly referred to as The Artic (The North Sea Nullification is the only one I remember off the stop of my head) it is still very much in your best interests to read this wonderful masterpiece because it offers a very rich, very relatable and a very believable Sheldon.

But what about the others?

Other Characters

This fiction spends and crafts every main character in its narrative with the same care as it did with Sheldon. Penny gets almost equal time as Sheldon (we see her past as well within the context of the story), and, surprisingly, we are given the unique privilege of getting Leonard's perspectives/emotions at times (This is very important, and I'll address it later). We also see character growth in Raj and Howard respectively. I will not give you quotes of these, because I personally believe it is very much in your best interests to read an digest it in its entirety.

The dialogue is spot on, and The Elegant Universe does a wonderful job of not painting ONE person as the "villain" but the majority of the characters as victims of their own insecurities. This is something that a lot of fictions I have read blatantly ignore, or forget to do, and it really can cost them in my opinion.

Sometimes, in fact, more often than not, the antagonists in real life aren't in your way because they are bad, but because their interests are in direct conflict with yours, or their faults are driving the conflict.

I'm going to be honest here and say that most Shenny people LOVE to simply write in a bad, jerk Leonard with no other explanation to his motives other than that he is an asshat. Some of it justified, but other things are never fully explained.

This fiction does away with that and makes the admirable and successful try at explaining the thought processes behind Leonard's actions and thoughts, so that while you may not agree with him, you can at least understand why he does what he does, why he feels what he feels and more importantly, why he clings on to Penny. I'll give you an example of this, to illustrate my point:
Spoiler

Quote:"I can help you," Leonard said gently as Sheldon reorganized the papers on the desk.

"Thank you," he said coolly. "But my career has had about all the 'help' it can take."

All thoughts of physical confrontation fled from Leonard's mind. None of it would hurt quite as much as those had. For the first time, he found himself hating Sheldon, just a little.

So, he left his flatmate scrawling numbers across the night sky as his guilt started solidifying into hate.

There are no words to describe the feelings the author conveys with Leonard. They are relatable to those that have insecurities, even if his insecurities are extreme. Do you also see how the author make's sure to say that Leonard does indeed feel guilty. Just by adding his guilt, but allowing his faults and insecurities to get the best of him, it makes Leonard that much more of a real character, and a real antagonist. This is consistent throughout the narrative, and even Leonard gets character development in the end. This fiction does all the character immense justice. Thats why its one of the very few that I keep coming back, and one of the very few I recommend to even shamy or undecided shippers.

Usually, I find myself, in most fictions, clearly rooting against Leonard (because he is almost invariably not The Good Guy), but this one had me be more sympathetic to him because of the added benefit of this glimpse, to the point where there was no clear bad guy. The Elegant Universe allowed me, the reader, to relate to Leonard, which made me invested in the story, and that made it difficult to demonize or villainize him (which again only benefitted the story in my opinion). Also, the author made him feel guilt for his actions towards Sheldon (rightly so), but his insecurities and his pride prevent him from fronting up to it. Again, more realistic and relatable than him refusing to take responsibility because he is just an entitled ass.

Another wonderful thing about this fiction is that it doesn't paint Leonard as the only fallible, morally ambiguous character either. In fact, Penny is shown in a light of putting up with Leonard because its easy and safe. Again, this adds more dimensions to the characters that shape who they are and make them more real than some other fictions where its all fluff and circumstance. Not everything Penny and Sheldon do are perfect, and that adds more depth. I haven't read a fiction yet that has actually striven and succeeded in making the character of the show this real.

The characterization might be the fiction's stand out achievement.

Plot

The plot, which FINALLY addressed REALISTICALLY the aftermath and implications of the season 3 opener, is engaging and rather emotionally driven (with a perfect amount of action to drive it forward). This is important as the plot is overwhelmingly a major factor in ALL of literature (I would argue the most important factor). However, even with this admission, I put the plot after characterization because fanfiction is unique medium which emphasizes characterization more so than other forms of literature (Because it is generally a rule of thumb that in order for the particular fanfiction to be believable, the characterization has to be, at the very least, reminiscent of the official work). The fiction's plot is, along with many of its aspects, realistic and flowed at a steady pace without seeming too rushed or too dragged out.

Its also very unique and appealing to me personally because it addresses one of my main heartbreaks with the show: The circumstances that were revealed in the season 3 opener, as I mentioned above.

The beginning of season three appalled me, maybe more so than most. It gave me a nasty taste in my mouth an a stomach full of tight knots because I, unlike some of the more casual viewers, fully realized the implications of what exactly it was that the three friends of Sheldon had done (because I want to be a scientist, and am an avid science fan and advocate).

Experimental accuracy is paramount in science, as reputation. What most people don't understand is how competitive the scientific community really is. Rival researchers are CONSTANTLY trying to prove other scientists wrong (because better your reputation for accuracy is, the more money your team or project you will be likely to receive). The system is competitiveness because the competition highly encourages and is more likely to produce accurate results. The fact that they TAMPERED with an experiment and RUINED Sheldon's reputation (Because he bragged about it, and honestly, who couldn't blame him, the data seemingly proved the verification of STRING THEORY!). This selfish act likely impacted Sheldon's career seriously. Not only was it a professional slight, it was a MIDDLE FINGER to him and everything he stood for. This was grossly glossed over in the show (Because its a COMEDY), but this fiction put's the offense front and center, and addresses the action the characters took. In the fiction, it not only rationalizes the actions taken by the characters in the aftermath of the incident (namely Sheldon's acceptance of the apology), but it, in my opinion, realistically shows how this breaks my favorite genius. This perhaps illustrates it better than I can in words:

SPOILERS
Quote:"Sheldon," he said firmly. "I think you need to take a break."

At that, Sheldon whirled around to face him. "No Raj," he spat. "I do not need a break. I need answers. I need to make sense of all of this."

Raj reeled back, until the corner of the desk jabbed him in the back. "You don't have to find all the answers today," he reasoned weakly.

Sheldon shook his head, before turning back to his board. "It's the only way."

"Only way…what?"

Still facing the board, Sheldon spoke in a tired but focused voice. "It's the only way I will ever be taken seriously again."

This is powerful. Immensely powerful because it invokes the, I feel, appropriate emotions in a way that is inspired. Redemption, and understanding others is the main theme and plot of the story. If for no other reason, I would reccommend it strictly because of the plot and the way it deals with it.

Words can't even describe the emotions this fiction gave me as I read through it.

Shenny

I will briefly talk about the romance in this fiction, which is as elegant as the other facets of this fiction. Its believable, and honestly one of the best presentations of the relationship and the journey to it.

It is clearly inferred that Penny does harbor a deep love for Sheldon, but it isn't something that is recognized by the blonde. Its the events in the story that help intimate this as well as grow the feelings. The prose is one again, perfect for this.

Quote:When she woke up in the morning, still resting on the leather couch, she had been covered by a blanket. She could tell by the hospital corners that it was Sheldon's handiwork.

Leonard kissed her on the head distractedly on his way to work. "I tried to move you when I got home, but you took a sing at me when I tried."

"How ladylike," she commented. He laughed but didn't deny it.

When he left, she folded up the blanket and threw it over the arm of the couch. Trying too hard to pretend it didn't mean anything.

Making it mean even more.

The last two sentences summarized the beautify in which this love is show, intimated and finally recognized.

Its not just the well-written thoughts of the characters that get the message of deep love accross, but also their interactions, specifically those between Penny and Sheldon that are prominently featured in the whole entire story. One of the most power occurs in Chapter 3 when Penny is interacting with Sheldon as he works.

SPOILERS

Quote:"Sheldon," she said, as he handed her the now clean knife and made as if to move back to his scribbling. "May I ask you a question?"

He blinked. "I believe you just did. But you may ask me another one."

She bit her tongue to stop herself from responding sarcastically. "Well, I guess I'm just wondering why you decided to go into physics?" Before he had a chance to give a lengthy lecture about the virtues of physics, she continued. "I mean, doesn't it make you sad to think that all of this is just tiny particles dancing around?"

He leaned dreamily on the counter, lost in thought. Penny blinked at the look on his face; she couldn't recall a time when someone had considered her words so closely.

Then, his eyes snapped back to hers, and it was like being under a microscope. "It disturbs you to think that those feelings you experience – joy and sorrow – are merely reactions between molecules and atoms? You think it bleak that your world can be reduced to particles or fields and their interactions? You think it diminishes the world around you?"

Before her eyes, the coolness that had hidden just behind his thawed slightly. "Uh, yeah...sure. I mean, that's what I was saying."

Sheldon thought for a moment. When he spoke, the Texas drawl had entered his voice the way it did when he was speaking from the heart. "Well, Penny, something doesn't stop being real just because we don't want to admit it. And I don't think it's bleak. The way I see it, those 100 billion galaxies that sparkle over our heads are the formulas I write on my whiteboard, just writ large across the sky."[3]

As he spoke, he stepped closer to her, as if wanting to pull her into his mind [so] that she too could see the universes forming and disappearing in his brain. For her part, she had to draw breath since these beautiful words began spilling from his mouth.

"There have been a lot of things in my life that I couldn't explain or didn't understand. What I'm looking for is a formula that can answer a question that is bigger than me, bigger than any of us. It's about creation – something that we're a part of. It's about galaxies moving in space and the movement of tiny particles. Knowing that every cell in my body is billions of years old makes me feel part of something great."

"It makes me feel small," she whispered, feeling frozen under the force of his intense gaze.

"But Penny," he said with a crooked smile, only inches from her. "You are part of it too."

Later, she would account for it as him reaching a fervour of physics-related excitement. Certainly, he had never gone out of his way to touch her before – if anything, he tried to avoid it unless absolutely necessary.

Whatever the reason, at that moment, he reached out with both hands and – hesitating only slightly – rested his long fingers on the bare skin of her upper arms.

"Close your eyes."

Not knowing what else to do, she closed her eyes.

"Right this moment, billions of neutrinos ejected into space by the sun are passing through your body and mine as part of a lonely voyage through the cosmos. You're a part of it, Penny. Can you feel it?"

For a moment, Penny fancied that she could feel it happening. She could feel each atom of her body. She could feel his hands. She could feel everything.

But then his hands were gone and her arms were cool. And she was no more than Penny standing in a kitchen with her chest heaving.

When she opened her eyes, she saw Sheldon retreating back to the safety of his formulae. She drew a shuddering breath, struggling to get her bearings.

If she hadn't known better, she would have mistaken the fluttering in her chest as being caused by the feeling of Sheldon's hands on her skin.

She pushed the thought away.

When I first read this, I was awed. I was struck dumb by the sheer beauty of this interaction. Not only was it beautiful, but was instense, profound, and it revealed sides of both characters that are never touched on in the main media, nay, sides that are barely touched on in other written fanfiction.

The best thing, the love and attraction doesn't need to be stated, its showed throughout this wonderful work of art. That's what makes this some mesmerizing, because I can see the love, even if Penny can't yet. It also feels genuine, as all the interactions between the characters do. That's the best bit. It really feels like two distinct people are conversing and sharing an experience that will forever be theirs.

The wonderful thing about the Shenny in this fiction is that it isn't explicitly stated from the get go. There are hints littered here and there (some more obvious than others), but it isn't outright stated. All of the Shenny in the beginning is inferred, intimated, and drawn from the interactions. Its also drawn from interactions Penny has with other characters. The following is a quote from the same chapter as the quote above, and it follows that interaction.

SPOILER

Quote:"Leonard," she said breathily. "Can I ask you a question?"

"Anything."

Already his mind was filled with rich fantasies about where this was going.

"Why did you go into physics?"

Well. That was unexpected.

"You mean…professionally?" he asked uncertainly, uncertain what she wanted from him.

"Yeah, I mean – why physics rather than some other type of science. I mean, smart guy like you could have chosen a lot of different things, right?"

"Well," he adjusted his glasses on his nose. "I mean...I was always pretty scientifically minded. I liked doing experiments and everything – and I did well in it at school. When I finished high school, my parents had me sit a professional personality test and it indicated that I was most suited to academia. That was cross-referenced with my grades and adjusted to my preferences. Physics just seemed like the coolest type of science, you know? With the lasers and space. It was always what interested me the most." He paused, struggling to remember how he had ended up where he had. "Also, I mean, my sister had already gone to med school so I didn't really want to compete with her. So yeah. Umm. That's pretty much how I ended up here."

Right this moment, billions of neutrinos ejected into space by the sun are passing through your body and mine as part of a lonely voyage through the cosmos.

She hated that she was comparing their answers in her mind. She hated the way he looked at her as if beseeching her to tell him what he had to do. She hated and felt sorry for how she was treating him – how her eyes kept moving to the clock on the wall to make sure that she wasn't late bringing lunch to Sheldon. She didn't even know why she bothered, really. He always had her put it on the desk and then leave his office. He didn't like small talk.

This comparison in the quote is instigated. Penny can't help but the compare the two, because she is emotionally torn between her feelings for both. Part of knows, and feels guilty, and another part doesn't quite understand why Sheldon.

But, as the fiction continuously shows us, it seems to always be Sheldon. For her, there was no one else.

Basically, The Elegant Universe is a fiction that is exceeds every expectation. The major downside is that is isn't finished, and its very doubtful that it ever will be. However, I would rather experience a part of this fic than to never experience it at all. That is why I believe that you should click on the link and devote your time to immersing yourself in one of the best Shennys out there.

~SK

That took forever! Hopefully you find this interesting, or at all beneficial!
The following 7 users Like Shintaro Kozu's post:
  • Idle Miscreant, Toad, Del Fino, queenoftheDales, Tuesday Pajamas, Nutz, wellplayedpenny