2014 - Award Season
(06-22-2014, 02:39 AM)ses1515 Wrote: Strange thing I read an article about Kaley a couple years back and she mentioned she did not like to go out and was very anti Hollywood scene. Things change I guess?

Think about yourself between the ages of 22 and 29. Add a buttload of money. Things change.
(06-22-2014, 03:11 AM)devilbk Wrote: Think about yourself between the ages of 22 and 29. Add a buttload of money. Things change.

I'm fine if Kaley wants to party. I'm concerned with the Penny character. These actors do not answer to me and vice versa.
The following 1 user Likes Trust No One's post:
  • Idle Miscreant
One of the most aggravating aspects of logging into twitter as this joint (rather than my own account), is that through retweeting by fan sites I'm now subjected to the stream of consciousness or general bitchy-pants fest of a handful of hopped-up fans who apparently can't make the distinction between characters and actors (and by extension, fiction and reality). Particularly (well actually exclusively), those who think that the daily life of Mayim Bialik and Jim Parsons is in some arcane way representative of the characters they play, despite the fact that they have no hand in either writing dialogue for these characters, nor deciding the outcome for or actions of. Or indeed, anything to do with the creation of the show at all.

They're actors for fucksake. Instagram is not deleted scenes of TBBT.
"WHERE THE HELL'S MY PARACHUTE?"
The following 3 users Like Idle Miscreant's post:
  • devilbk, queenoftheDales, Gamma
(06-22-2014, 09:42 AM)Major Gripe Wrote: One of the most aggravating aspects of logging into twitter as this joint (rather than my own account), is that through retweeting by fan sites I'm now subjected to the stream of consciousness or general bitchy-pants fest of a handful of hopped-up fans who apparently can't make the distinction between characters and actors (and by extension, fiction and reality). Particularly (well actually exclusively), those who think that the daily life of Mayim Bialik and Jim Parsons is in some arcane way representative of the characters they play, despite the fact that they have no hand in either writing dialogue for these characters, nor deciding the outcome for or actions of. Or indeed, anything to do with the creation of the show at all.

They're actors for fucksake. Instagram is not deleted scenes of TBBT.

But they just want to know what the characters are doing when they're not on TV.
(06-22-2014, 09:57 AM)devilbk Wrote: But they just want to know what the characters are doing when they're not on TV.

I suppose Dougal had a similar problem...

[Image: FatherTedRealitFantasyBoard.jpg]

As I said, it's no-one we follow directly, just the occasional retweet, and the odd soul I encounter when idling around the twitter TBBT fandom itself, scouting for potential HQers, and in itself I have no particular issue with folk confusing actors and their characters (although if I were one of the actors concerned I'd probably be quite alarmed), BUT that it tends to be the same fans who are rather slap-happy with the word "delusional" when it comes to other fans' romantic preferences. How you can brandish that word around whilst simultaneously maintaining that Parsons and Bialik are doing the dance with no pants is beyond me...
"WHERE THE HELL'S MY PARACHUTE?"
The following 4 users Like Idle Miscreant's post:
  • Tuesday Pajamas, queenoftheDales, devilbk, Gamma
Well it looks as though the 'same ol' same ol' has been nominated for the 2014 Emmys. Again there's no credit to Simon for his credible work (of the lot his character has seen the most 'growth' and yet this seems to count for pfft) as he does his best to rise above the pap the writers are coming up with. Of course that's my primary beef--the writing is crap and I have no doubt it's causing the actors to phone it in.

I don't think I'd have as much of a problem if the romances were actually written well. Dodgy Actually, that's a little off. For the sake of the show there would be no problem but for me I wouldn't have watched the show at all if that had been the premise. Its become too formulaic and I shake my head at the Emmy committee for rewarding its blandness, its 'safeness'. Perhaps this is a case where LaLa Land is trying to validate its existence in the face of the new monster known as cable/streaming shows. BBT is still in the running so therefore it's okay. That it has never won says a lot, too. With all of the star power in Parsons, the cult of Mayim and the high ratings it can't crack the threshold into the realm of classic television.

When Lorre's pilot was panned except for the 'two nerds' his solution was to put in two more nerds since that was what was liked. Add a firecracker from Nebraska and the ensuing number of nominations and awards said that they had a hit formula. Now I admit that a show has to develop over time, particularly in this instance because of the length of time BBT has been on the air, but that doesn't mean that change should make what was, unrecognizable.

It's weird what TPTB consider salvageable from the early seasons was Leonard's obsession with Penny. To me, it culminated when he first asked her out and she accepted in 1.17. The audience breathed out a satisfied 'finally!' and off the Lenny went--into a comedic crash and burn. Frankly that's where it should have remained as Leonard and Penny are far more comedic as friends than lovers but that's another topic. As for now, there's a desire to rekindle the 'finally!' moment, this time for Sheldon and Amy with the SIK and the march towards eventual coitus.

But what they don't get is that Leonard and Penny's first 'finally!' moment didn't come at the complete expense of the formula. In contrast, the expansion of the Lenny into the mess it is now has completely derailed the show. As for the Shamy, it seems to be modeled after the 'romantic' formula without the sparks as the writers seemingly couldn't conceive of a 'relationship of the mind' bringing two people together so they changed the characters in order to fit into their cookie-cutter notion of 'romance'.

The writers used to take chances. Now they're playing it safe. Boringly safe.

And yet they are rewarded once again with Emmy nods so it seems as though the majority are satisfied with the level of entertainment.

I, however, am not. This should be a much better product than it is and to celebrate what is with awards is like praising the grace of a deer as you look at its head mounted on your den wall.
Let's go exploring!
The following 7 users Like wellplayedpenny's post:
  • Idle Miscreant, Gamma, Trust No One, queenoftheDales, ricardo shillyshally, Tuesday Pajamas, Jomi25
(07-11-2014, 01:57 AM)wellplayedpenny Wrote: Well it looks as though the 'same ol' same ol' has been nominated for the 2014 Emmys. Again there's no credit to Simon for his credible work (of the lot his character has seen the most 'growth' and yet this seems to count for pfft) as he does his best to rise above the pap the writers are coming up with. Of course that's my primary beef--the writing is crap and I have no doubt it's causing the actors to phone it in.

I don't think I'd have as much of a problem if the romances were actually written well. Dodgy Actually, that's a little off. For the sake of the show there would be no problem but for me I wouldn't have watched the show at all if that had been the premise. Its become too formulaic and I shake my head at the Emmy committee for rewarding its blandness, its 'safeness'. Perhaps this is a case where LaLa Land is trying to validate its existence in the face of the new monster known as cable/streaming shows. BBT is still in the running so therefore it's okay. That it has never won says a lot, too. With all of the star power in Parsons, the cult of Mayim and the high ratings it can't crack the threshold into the realm of classic television.

When Lorre's pilot was panned except for the 'two nerds' his solution was to put in two more nerds since that was what was liked. Add a firecracker from Nebraska and the ensuing number of nominations and awards said that they had a hit formula. Now I admit that a show has to develop over time, particularly in this instance because of the length of time BBT has been on the air, but that doesn't mean that change should make what was, unrecognizable.

It's weird what TPTB consider salvageable from the early seasons was Leonard's obsession with Penny. To me, it culminated when he first asked her out and she accepted in 1.17. The audience breathed out a satisfied 'finally!' and off the Lenny went--into a comedic crash and burn. Frankly that's where it should have remained as Leonard and Penny are far more comedic as friends than lovers but that's another topic. As for now, there's a desire to rekindle the 'finally!' moment, this time for Sheldon and Amy with the SIK and the march towards eventual coitus.

But what they don't get is that Leonard and Penny's first 'finally!' moment didn't come at the complete expense of the formula. In contrast, the expansion of the Lenny into the mess it is now has completely derailed the show. As for the Shamy, it seems to be modeled after the 'romantic' formula without the sparks as the writers seemingly couldn't conceive of a 'relationship of the mind' bringing two people together so they changed the characters in order to fit into their cookie-cutter notion of 'romance'.

And yet they are rewarded once again with Emmy nods so it seems as though the majority are satisfied with the level of entertainment.

I, however, am not. This should be a much better product than it is and to celebrate what is with awards is like praising the grace of a deer as you look at its head mounted on your den wall.

Cannot like this enough WPP. Boring and safe does not work for a comedy and most forms of entertainment as well. If I'm taking the time to watch something I want to be challenged and surprised. I do not want to see everything happening from miles away.
Sheldon: 'Heroes gradually lowered the quality, season by season, until we were grateful it ended'. (from episode where Sheldon needs closure. Or is he warning us!)
The following 2 users Like ricardo shillyshally's post:
  • Idle Miscreant, Jomi25
(07-11-2014, 01:57 AM)wellplayedpenny Wrote: Well it looks as though the 'same ol' same ol' has been nominated for the 2014 Emmys. Again there's no credit to Simon for his credible work (of the lot his character has seen the most 'growth' and yet this seems to count for pfft) as he does his best to rise above the pap the writers are coming up with. Of course that's my primary beef--the writing is crap and I have no doubt it's causing the actors to phone it in.

Sadly I don't think Simon merits an Emmy anymore since the writers have utterly destroyed his once great character. He's just a background character now.
Perhaps I'm being clouded by memories of things past, FM. The last time I really tuned into the show Simon's Howard was the only 'person' I recognized. Yes, he'd changed but the changes were plausible. Figures the last part of the ship would sink beneath the waves. ...

And despite the writers' attempt to put Lenny into the spotlight again I think it's fair to say that all of the characters have become background characters to Shamy, especially those of the mind that see JP and MB's current acting as worthy of an Emmy nomination. Shamy is the 'dynamic force' driving the show as the Lenny is like watching paint dry so there's no competition. Of course we know that the true competition was already beheaded at ComicCon with the writers scoffing the notion of Shenny. Sadly, the show is infinitely more simplistic than I had initially thought and cannot deviate from the original concept of Lenny. Leonard and Penny are supposed to be the 'comedic firecracker romance' while the added 'slow burn' of Shamy is the 'classic romance'. Puke

Where's Cary Grant when I need him? Sad
Let's go exploring!
The following 3 users Like wellplayedpenny's post:
  • Gamma, queenoftheDales, Tuesday Pajamas