Sherlockian Blether
Oh my gosh what a gem of a thread to find as my first breach onto this site!

I myself have just gotten onto the Sherlock bandwagon, after finally watching all three current seasons of BBCs 'Sherlock' last month. I cracked because I'd been avoiding it for the longest time, but the constant crossovers people were writing on ffnet that involved 'Sherlock' characters was starting to get annoying. I couldn't believe how popular the series was, so I figured it was time to see what the fuss was about. I hadn't read or seen any previous versions of Sherlock Holmes, aside from Downey Jr.'s films (which were alright, but not really Sherlock-y enough for me, now that I've seen and read other versions).

I love the characters to death in the series. They're all quirky and special in their own ways. Mrs H is just about the funniest landlady(*cough* house-keeper *cough*) that you could ask for. No matter how many times Sherlock messes things up in 221b, she doesn't really complain like a landlady is supposed to do. I'm sure there are a quite a lot that would evict their tenants if they fired bullets into the walls. She's just a gem about everything Smile.

I loved the reveal of Sherlock and Mycroft's parents in series 3. I empathised with John when he seemed completely confused. I wonder if they were swapped at the hospital when they were born, like the baby was in 'Good Omens'? Big Grin It would certainly explain a fair bit.

I agree with the others on this thread about Martin Freeman's Watson. He's just the right balance of sense and madness - because you have to have a little bit of madness to hang about with Sherlock Holmes for all those years. I made my dad watch the series over this past couple of weeks, after he insisted that he wouldn't enjoy it at all, and I promised him that he would like the John Watson character. Well, I was right and he did. There need to be more Johns in the world, I think.

I will admit here and now that I totally adore the version of Jim Moriarty that they have in the series too. For starters, he's Irish, which is a little different from the usual - and different is always fun. Plus, as was mentioned some time ago on here, he was a bit like the Joker. He was totally unpredictable - for the characters - and a little bit obsessed with proving that Sherlock and he were just the same as one another. Who doesn't love a 'good old-fashioned villain'? Big Grin

I've since started acquiring all of the old Conan Doyle stories of Holmes, and have read a couple so far. I giggled a couple of times when I saw tid bits in the stories that were obviously put into the modern series (Sherlock commenting on John's weight gain after his marriage, and John denying it, was pretty funny to me). I'm hoping to get through them all once I've finished reading Stormlight.

Just a quick final point. Greg Lestrade in the series is utterly adorable. Especially when he rushes to Sherlock's "aid", only to learn that all Holmes wanted was help with his best man speech. The disbelief on Lestrade's face was brilliant. Big Grin
[Image: lost_paladin_banner_by_milleniumring-d8i4gzv.jpg]
The following 3 users Like MilleniumRing's post:
  • Tuesday Pajamas, Idle Miscreant, Nutz
I've just found a cache of Mycroft Poppins gifs and pictures.
I frequently feel like we're in the wrong fandom...There appears to be a vast amount more tolerance for diversity, peculiarity and imagination amongst the Sherlock crowd.
Ironic really that a show such as TBBT whose characters are meant to delight in hypotheticals and multiverse scenarios, has a fanbase that is (of the last few years) predominately inclined to adhere rigidly to canon and swift to stomp on any alien concept (alien here meaning "not focusing entirely on relationships"). Despite the fact that TBBT's current canon is frequently contradictory to the canon established in the first 4 seasons. I don't know how they reconcile such discrepancies in their minds...but neither do I care particularly.
It's still depressing...

MYCROFT POPPINS TIME!
[Image: 002pf7h8]
[Image: 0010676s]
[Image: 00105k82]
[Image: tumblr_ne8bwiVZZl1rslrfio1_500.jpg]
[Image: b03f70c1e714f9fb6b46cd5d4bab1e08.jpg]
[Image: frame4.jpg]
"WHERE THE HELL'S MY PARACHUTE?"
The following 5 users Like Idle Miscreant's post:
  • Wisp, Louise, Nutz, Toad, Tuesday Pajamas
Egads those are some proper creepy images. The scariest thing is, some are very plausible xD. I particularly like the one where's he's standing opposite Mrs. H. Is he meant to be trick-or-treating? Smile.

You're right, the Sherlock fandom is a lot more liberal about people's opinions. Mostly because it is just a show of crazy theories and awesome characters. 'Big Bang' is waaay too structured and stifling to ever allow unique perspectives. Sadly. We try, though Smile.

What's peoples favourite Sherlock moments? I still adore the part in S2E1 where Sherlock returns to 221b to find that some Americans have terrorised Mrs. Hudson, ransacked the flat, and are pointing a gun at the poor dear's head. Makes me, his reaction to it all. It proves he has a heart in that otherwise cold and unfeeling robot chassis. Especially when he phones Lestrade to tell him there's a break-in, goes on to explain the arsehole's injuries, then finishing with saying "he fell out of a window". I just about died of laughter when he said that, because we just knew what Sherlock was going to do next Big Grin.
[Image: lost_paladin_banner_by_milleniumring-d8i4gzv.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes MilleniumRing's post:
  • Idle Miscreant
It's coming...

The following 2 users Like Tuesday Pajamas's post:
  • Nutz, Toad
I really haven't figured out how this Mycroft Poppins thing got started. A fandom in-joke, I suppose? A line of dialogue or reference that was picked up and then extrapolated into sheer (delightful) lunacy? If someone can enlighten me I'd be most appreciative. 

But in the meantime here's my belated contribution to the cause...

[Image: 24pb3o5.jpg]
OH PLEASE...
The following 2 users Like Toad's post:
  • Idle Miscreant, Nutz
I presume it's not Mary Poppins herself per se (although they do have similar temperaments) but rather that the fucker carries an umbrella everywhere...
He's delightful.

[Image: bf6852f74d8c5cd43ef1686e663be3da.gif]
"WHERE THE HELL'S MY PARACHUTE?"
The following 2 users Like Idle Miscreant's post:
  • Toad, Nutz
And I wouldn't put it past the bloke to drag up as Poppins or prat about with a brolly. 'League of Gentleman' is a very scarring experience for the unwary.
For the romantic Sherlock fan this Valentines.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/ontheregna/21-va....oeA2eR7GJ

My picks... if anyone wants to send me one, anyone? ....no? Tongue

[Image: enhanced-buzz-22751-1392310114-4.jpg]

[Image: enhanced-buzz-29150-1392312320-28.jpg]

[Image: enhanced-15672-1392316954-34.jpg]
The following 2 users Like Tuesday Pajamas's post:
  • Toad, Idle Miscreant
As a question, does it matter if I see Sherlock out of order? Got s3 used and was gonna watch it to see if I like it (given that I'm a heavy Jeremy Brett fan).
Let's go exploring!
Hmm, you've probably been spoiled for all the oddness by now, so probably not. But it is worth watching all of the episodes, just for the fun of it. Some are distinctly better than others, for various reasons. John Watson is a cuddly badass delight at all times, though.

Brett is my Holmes always and forever, but this show is a good homage, there are a lot of deeply canon in-jokes floating around.
The following 1 user Likes SpaceAnJL's post:
  • wellplayedpenny