Sherlockian Blether
(12-07-2014, 02:08 AM)ricardo shillyshally Wrote: [Image: sherlock.gif?w=640&h=611]

Hahaaa this is brilliant!
To me, Jeremy Brett is the greatest Holmes, especially in the first series of episodes he did, where he was thin and hawk-faced and truly looked like ACD's description of Holmes. I think his performance is so mesmerising.

My fave Holmes story of them all is The Blue Carbuncle.

ETA: I also like reading "pastiches", if they're good ones. There's never too much Holmes!
The following 1 user Likes Louise's post:
  • wellplayedpenny
Caleb Carr wrote 'The Italian Secretary', which is a very good canon Holmes addition. But if you want something that will mess with your head - http://www.neilgaiman.com/mediafiles/exc...merald.pdf

There needs to be a reboot version of 'Blue Carbuncle', if only to see Sherlock in mortal combat with an angry goose.

(Also, for a laugh, go read Silverpard's stuff on ffnet. Tell me when you find the ducks. ;p)
The following 1 user Likes SpaceAnJL's post:
  • Louise
So, this is the book I've been reading. It's a Sherlock Holmes story (funny how they get called pastiches, when what they are is *fanfic*). I'm a little more than halfway through it, and so far it's pretty good, so unless it somehow totally falls apart at the end, I'd recommend it.

[Image: 5z37si.jpg]

I think BBC Sherlock was fun for a while, and I haven't seen the Ritchie movies or Elementary; I'm pretty much an old-school ACD and Granada fan. This author does a very good job of imitating that classic Watson-voice narration. I would give it maybe an 85 to 90 percent, in terms of seeming like an actual ACD story.

It seems like most authors can't resist the urge to make Holmes just a *little* warmer and softer than he was in the stories, but it's not egregious, here.

Oh, and it's about Jack the Ripper, if you're into that. The descriptions of the crime scene are graphic but not overly detailed or lengthy. Holmes and Watson are pretty much IC, so I give the author points for that. There's no romance of any kind and no attempts at twisting or re-imagining the Holmes canon; it's pretty much just a straightforward murder case.

So, yeah, good book Smile
The following 1 user Likes Louise's post:
  • Nutz
Finished the book, it was very good. The ending was a bit OTT, IMO, but on the whole the author did a very, very good job of keeping Holmes and Watson IC and mimicking ACD's style. This story portrays Holmes getting a bit more upset and emotional than usual, but then again it places him in very dire circumstances, so maybe that reaction is justified.

There's an OFC but she's not a Mary Sue, and there's no romance. I'm not sure the OFC was truly necessary, but she's not objectionable.

I would certainly read another Holmes book by this author, if she writes one, especially if the theme is something a bit more low-key than the Ripper case. The Ripper case was so gruesome, it's hard to describe it without sounding melodramatic.
Yes, I read that book several years ago and thought the author did a pretty good job with Holmes and the storyline. I think it was the authors first novel.
Oh wow, oh wow, what an adventure.
(12-14-2014, 11:22 PM)Gamma12 Wrote: Yes, I read that book several years ago and thought the author did a pretty good job with Holmes and the storyline. I think it was the authors first novel.

It's prob the best Holmes pastiche/fanfic/whatever that I've read so far.
I think I may've found one of the worst...or at least strangest/funniest...Sherlocks:

(video is dark and not high-quality, sorry. Also, I did not make it, or the captions on it.)

I don't know what to make of this, it's pretty wacky.

I'll get in on that. Just to show we don't get Holmes!

The following 1 user Likes ricardo shillyshally's post:
  • Louise
[Image: 2h3yaol.jpg]

"Of all ruins, that of a noble mind is the most deplorable."
---Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.
The following 2 users Like Louise's post:
  • Idle Miscreant, Nutz