46.15%
6 46.15%
3 Dirty Socks
30.77%
4 30.77%
Total 13 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

7.23 The Gorilla Dissolution
Three dirty socks because it was so boooooooooooooring. But take back one sock because of Sheldon's delightful smack-down of Amy with the "slick" comment and telling Raj to resist the pressure to have sex. That tells me he's more aware of the Fowl Thing's manipulations than we thought.
The following 3 users Like FlyingMonkey's post:
  • Jislane35, devilbk, Berliner
(05-10-2014, 04:10 AM)FlyingMonkey Wrote: Three dirty socks because it was so boooooooooooooring. But take back one sock because of Sheldon's delightful smack-down of Amy with the "slick" comment and telling Raj to resist the pressure to have sex. That tells me he's more aware of the Fowl Thing's manipulations than we thought.

(05-10-2014, 02:01 AM)queenoftheDales Wrote: This is a good point. The writers are trying to do a character backtrack with Leonard as well as AFF. Trying to have him underfoot of Penny to show he cares and supports her. It's bullshit. And I bet if this engagement goes sour Penny will be to blame because Leonard pulled his usual insecure bs to push the proposal. He had reservations and it'll look like SHE pushed HIM.

Slowly, I'm starting to believe that TPTB would very happily wipe out our memory of the first seasons (1-3 that is). It's like we - true fans from the very beginning - are the enemy. Strange world we're living in. Rolleyes
Man darf nicht das, was uns unwahrscheinlich und unnatürlich erscheint, mit dem verwechseln, was absolut unmöglich ist. - Carl Friedrich Gauß
The following 2 users Like Berliner's post:
  • Idle Miscreant, Jislane35
In a way I feel sorry for the Lennys because the engagement was completely sans life. They are engaged. Pass the salt. I remember when Leonard asked Penny out on their first date how the audience was so jacked when she accepted. Penny and Leonard / Kaley and Johnny KNEW the importance of that moment and the audience echoed that back.

After seven years we get an engagement and it lacked that 'oomph'. It felt tired and inevitable, like the writers and actors agreed that they all knew where this was going so let's just skip to the end (blah blah a vast and troubled galaxy. Go!) The overall feel that 'huh, we're engaged. How about that?' puts me into one of those so-angry-I'm-quiet moments because I look at the mess the show has become to make sure that the Lenny has come to be and THIS is how the magical/untouchable relationship comes together?! THIS was worth stripping Penny down to nothing? THIS was the reason why the Shenny couldn't be?

Not that I'm saying there should have been a carriage and balloons proposal but all of the sacrifice of character, plot, dialogue, hell just plain ol' imagination are worth more than this. It's clear to me that the writers have no idea how much harm they've done to the show by insisting that a central plot point (Lenny) remains not only unalterable but takes precedent over all other organic changes that occurred whether it be actor chemistry (Jim/Kaley) or character dominance (Sheldon). Leonard/Johnny lost his lead position to Sheldon/Jim and those early seasons were by far the best (speaking as a nostalgic here I am a tad biased) because the writers/actors just went with the flow. Then someone read the original Lenny plotline, realized he needed a V8 and dragged and beat the show so as to come in line with the Lenny.

And so the Lenny limps along and with that the show. I realize this post doesn't come across too favorably towards the Lenny but as I've said before I find it the most puzzling of all the relationships on the show because I've never seen a couple with extraordinary screen time come together because the writers said they belong as opposed to seeing some sort of chemistry.

From what I got from Penny, her passion is Leonard and her friends and marrying Leonard is a good life decision. I now have an increased appreciation for Beverly Hofstadter and her observation that Penny suffers from an external locus of identity, only valuing herself as others value her. What makes this problematic is that thanks to the writers Penny has been taking in the comments/actions of Leonard and her friends while being oblivious to that fact that they devalue her character/ ambitions /career prospects/social life. Very convenient to have a drinking problem, no?

Leonard might be a pop-tart but as long as the show continues to keep the Lenny as the guiding light the rest of the series is toast.
Let's go exploring!
The following 12 users Like wellplayedpenny's post:
  • queenoftheDales, Toad, Gamma, Idle Miscreant, spuffyfan, Jislane35, Tuesday Pajamas, SpaceAnJL, Berliner, Jomi25, Trust No One, CassandraElise
Leonard might be a pop-tart but as long as the show continues to keep the Lenny as the guiding light the rest of the series is toast.
[/quote]

Leonard is a stale pop tart, way beyond his sell-date.
The following 1 user Likes devilbk's post:
  • Jislane35
Well that was a weird goddamn episode…

Just vaguely;

Having seen a few Fowler fans ranting about what an arsehole Sheldon was in this one, I’m not sure why I was surprised to find I DIDN’T think he was an arsehole…Shamy fans and Sheldon Purists have never agreed in the past, god knows why we would now.

No, I thought Sheldon was a trifle somnambulant, but otherwise almost back to his usual alien self, which I’ve always found enchanting. Even the watered-down version presented here.

The odd laugh at the dubious Schindler’s List joke was an amusing bit of physical comedy from Parsons, as was the forced forehead examination scene. I always like Sheldon “at large” in the world…

His scenes with Raj were again, not the behaviour of a Dickensian. Raj ought to know better after 10 years than to expect subtle and sensitive interpersonal advice from Sheldon. He sees things logically, and the advice he offered was logical. Unless he's been completely rewired, he was acting entirely In Character. He also made him tea, and the opinion he gave on Raj being incapable of being alone, was spot on. So what’s the bloody problem?
People’s expectations of Sheldon are the problem. And their projections upon him of their own desires and requirements.
Anyroad.

Raj and Emily work very well together. I’m happy for them, but I still don’t particularly care.

I cleaned my computer screen whilst the Lenny proposal scene was on, because scenes between those two (along with any Girls’ Night scenes) bore me so violently I’m never sure if I’m asleep or awake. The scent of the cleaning product reminded me it was the latter. Also when I’m asleep my dreams involve duelling with pterodactyls for fucksake…

I love Wil Wheaton. I don’t care if he sits on the couch cracking walnuts for an episode, I want to watch the charming bastard. He and Penny were excellent together in the “schlockfestian fur opera” (as our resident reviewer brilliantly calls it). I would actually buy that film, I suspect. Maybe rent it first, though…

Helberg continues to be marvellous. And THAT is a very realistic couple.

Favourite line of the episode;

“A MOCHA? Well it must be NICE to be QUEEN!”

Neutral territory rating – A Penny Blossom for Alien Sheldon, a Dirty Sock for making me watch the most dispiriting and half-arsed proposal by the world’s most dispiriting and half-arsed couple.

Ach, Penny…
"WHERE THE HELL'S MY PARACHUTE?"
The following 9 users Like Idle Miscreant's post:
  • Jislane35, Tuesday Pajamas, Toad, spuffyfan, Jomi25, devilbk, Berliner, CassandraElise, Nutz
The stupid 3-d glasses bit. Has anyone ever walked into a movie theater and seen them laid out thus? NO, you are handed a pair sealed in a plastic bag, nice and hygienic. Right up Sheldon's alley wouldn't you say?

To go to such lengths to set up a mediocre joke at best. geez.
The following 4 users Like lewstonewar's post:
  • Jislane35, Tuesday Pajamas, CassandraElise, Jomi25
They've been chipping away at the whole Hollywood mysophobia, I guess they thought it was time to throw that back into the mix. They've had Sheldon drink the dregs of a complete stranger's glass, how much more OoC could it get?
The following 1 user Likes SpaceAnJL's post:
  • Jislane35
(05-10-2014, 08:28 AM)wellplayedpenny Wrote: In a way I feel sorry for the Lennys because the engagement was completely sans life. They are engaged. Pass the salt. I remember when Leonard asked Penny out on their first date how the audience was so jacked when she accepted. Penny and Leonard / Kaley and Johnny KNEW the importance of that moment and the audience echoed that back.

After seven years we get an engagement and it lacked that 'oomph'. It felt tired and inevitable, like the writers and actors agreed that they all knew where this was going so let's just skip to the end (blah blah a vast and troubled galaxy. Go!) The overall feel that 'huh, we're engaged. How about that?' puts me into one of those so-angry-I'm-quiet moments because I look at the mess the show has become to make sure that the Lenny has come to be and THIS is how the magical/untouchable relationship comes together?! THIS was worth stripping Penny down to nothing? THIS was the reason why the Shenny couldn't be?

Not that I'm saying there should have been a carriage and balloons proposal but all of the sacrifice of character, plot, dialogue, hell just plain ol' imagination are worth more than this. It's clear to me that the writers have no idea how much harm they've done to the show by insisting that a central plot point (Lenny) remains not only unalterable but takes precedent over all other organic changes that occurred whether it be actor chemistry (Jim/Kaley) or character dominance (Sheldon). Leonard/Johnny lost his lead position to Sheldon/Jim and those early seasons were by far the best (speaking as a nostalgic here I am a tad biased) because the writers/actors just went with the flow. Then someone read the original Lenny plotline, realized he needed a V8 and dragged and beat the show so as to come in line with the Lenny.

And so the Lenny limps along and with that the show. I realize this post doesn't come across too favorably towards the Lenny but as I've said before I find it the most puzzling of all the relationships on the show because I've never seen a couple with extraordinary screen time come together because the writers said they belong as opposed to seeing some sort of chemistry.

From what I got from Penny, her passion is Leonard and her friends and marrying Leonard is a good life decision. I now have an increased appreciation for Beverly Hofstadter and her observation that Penny suffers from an external locus of identity, only valuing herself as others value her. What makes this problematic is that thanks to the writers Penny has been taking in the comments/actions of Leonard and her friends while being oblivious to that fact that they devalue her character/ ambitions /career prospects/social life. Very convenient to have a drinking problem, no?

THIS! - especially the bit in bold. I wish I could like your post again and again just to show how much I appreciate it.
The following 2 users Like spuffyfan's post:
  • Jislane35, wellplayedpenny
(05-10-2014, 03:46 AM)SpaceAnJL Wrote: Socks, socks, socks, that's all you people think about... Big Grin

How could I not... i was thinking socks LITERALLY AS I WAS WATCHING...
i was so mad... i had to remember to calm down because of my heart condition... that show almost killed me!
... and i already planned to be killed in a shootout for kidnapping hugh jackman (or mila kunis... i haven't finalized plans yet)

and when i said earlier i have had better proposals... those proposals were REALLY crappy... so that's SAYING something!
If I were REALLY smart... I would have brought a second pair of underpants.

I don't have avatars...AVATARS HAVE ME!

*italicized for your viewing pleasure... and mine. I don't always wear my glasses.
The following 2 users Like Will_I_BGraded_OnThis's post:
  • Jislane35, Gamma
(05-10-2014, 08:28 AM)wellplayedpenny Wrote: In a way I feel sorry for the Lennys because the engagement was completely sans life. They are engaged. Pass the salt. I remember when Leonard asked Penny out on their first date how the audience was so jacked when she accepted. Penny and Leonard / Kaley and Johnny KNEW the importance of that moment and the audience echoed that back.

Brilliant as always WPP. Was the Lenny really worth trashing the Penny and Sheldon characters and turning the show into a boring and predictable snooze fest? The Sheldon and Penny chemistry is gold and should have been used to the fullest. It's sad how TPTB make mistake after mistake and they keep getting rewarded with great ratings and more seasons.
The following 3 users Like Trust No One's post:
  • Jislane35, wellplayedpenny, Will_I_BGraded_OnThis