0%
0 0%
3 Dirty Socks
0%
0 0%
Total 12 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

7.21 The Anything Can Happen Recurrence
(04-29-2014, 01:31 AM)SpaceAnJL Wrote: The tropes get you coming and going with this one. I think Penny has fallen for the idea that Leonard is a nice guy, when in fact he's a 'Nice Guy'. The problem is both Leonard and Amy are convinced they are ugly ducklings who will blossom, when in fact they are nasty people regardless of the packaging.

The writers' issues with women are legion. Pretty is prey, ugly is funny, all of them are scary, controlling and desperate for a man. Sigh.

Okay first off I had this awesome response but my internet is crappy and stole it away. Sad face
And I have "The" ADD (I always preface it with "The"... i don't know why) so I can't remember what i wrote... confused face

but the gist of it is that it is incredibly ironic that the characterization of the characters make it obvious that Lenny and Shamy don't fit. They only have superficial qualities and lack any common personality traits. They're putting them together because they are both green but one is an apple and the other is a komodo dragon.
In addition, no one even seems happy. It wouldn't be so painful if they at least look happy. Sometimes I swear Sheldon is blinking "SOS"
If I were REALLY smart... I would have brought a second pair of underpants.

I don't have avatars...AVATARS HAVE ME!

*italicized for your viewing pleasure... and mine. I don't always wear my glasses.
The following 7 users Like Will_I_BGraded_OnThis's post:
  • queenoftheDales, Idle Miscreant, Toad, lewstonewar, Nutz, Wisp, Jislane35
(04-29-2014, 02:36 AM)Will_I_BGraded_OnThis Wrote: Okay first off I had this awesome response but my internet is crappy and stole it away. Sad face
And I have "The" ADD (I always preface it with "The"... i don't know why) so I can't remember what i wrote... confused face

but the gist of it is that it is incredibly ironic that the characterization of the characters make it obvious that Lenny and Shamy don't fit. They only have superficial qualities and lack any common personality traits. They're putting them together because they are both green but one is an apple and the other is a komodo dragon.
In addition, no one even seems happy. It wouldn't be so painful if they at least look happy. Sometimes I swear Sheldon is blinking "SOS"

Oh this is gold! Sheldon and Penny have the same inner emotional state and they handle things in a similar fashion. This is the only genuine boy-girl connection on the show. Shennys are often accused of being shallow but I don't understand why other shippers don't see it. If I just wanted hot actors, I could watch anything.
The following 2 users Like Tuesday Pajamas's post:
  • Will_I_BGraded_OnThis, Jislane35
(04-29-2014, 02:36 AM)Will_I_BGraded_OnThis Wrote: Okay first off I had this awesome response but my internet is crappy and stole it away. Sad face

but the gist of it is that it is incredibly ironic that the characterization of the characters make it obvious that Lenny and Shamy don't fit. They only have superficial qualities and lack any common personality traits. They're putting them together because they are both green but one is an apple and the other is a komodo dragon.In addition, no one even seems happy. It wouldn't be so painful if they at least look happy. Sometimes I swear Sheldon is blinking "SOS"

Using it!
HARRISON FORD IS IRRADIATING OUR TESTICLES WITH MICROWAVE SATELLITE TRANSMISSIONS

AND WHO THE FUCK STOLE MY BOILED EGGS?
The following 2 users Like Wisp's post:
  • lewstonewar, Will_I_BGraded_OnThis
Can someone please upload a video of all the Shenny scenes in this episode just like the one that was done for the hair cutting episode?
I just got around to watching this episode yesterday so I hope you all pardon the lateness of my comments. As an eternal Shenny optimist, these are a just a few of my thoughts, delusional as they may be...

I am genuinely intrigued as to why anyone would automatically assume that the end result of the psychic's prophecy is necessarily a GOOD thing for Sheldon and Amy. Presuming the whole thing isn’t just a bunch of malarkey in the first place (because psychics are always right, right?), I concede it would certainly appear to predict eventual Shamy sex. However, whether or not that sex directly leads to a happy ending or not for Sheldon (excuse the pun Wink ) remains to be seen. We all know the road to happiness is very much a two-way street and involves, equally, figuring out what you don’t want out of life as well as what you do. There is a reason it is often said that you learn more from your mistakes than you ever do from your successes. With three years left to go with this show, it is just as reasonable to believe that, by turning the key and committing to Amy, Sheldon could potentially realize that he may have made the biggest mistake of his life. Sheldon's happiness is the end goal and the prediction only stipulates that Amy is the conduit, rightly or wrongly, by which that happiness is achieved. Actually, it is no different than the advice Sheldon gave to Penny in S1 about Schrodinger’s cat. Committing to opening the box (in this case Amy’s Tongue ) only guarantees that you eventually find out what’s inside. Why would people assume that after being exposed to such a toxic relationship, the “kitty” in question would necessarily be anything other than dead?

I guess what I am trying to say is that if people choose to believe the prophecy is gospel, then I also think they choose to ignore everything else the writers actually wrote into the episode. I thought it was very slight of hand that while they distracted everyone with fantastical predictions, the writers took great pains to continue to show us that Sheldon and Amy really otherwise fail at every conceivable metric by which any normal healthy relationship is actually measured.

They don’t have honesty in their relationship and, once again, she was caught lying and feigning illness in order to get what she wanted - in this case, free time away from all the “complaining”. Not exactly the stuff on which “for better or for worse” is based if you ask me. They say that your relationship tends to act as a mirror and reflect back at you your own personality - the healthier the person, the healthier the relationship (so to speak). So it is not surprising to me that Sheldon, who has manipulated many people in the past to get what he wants, now finds himself in the exact same situation with Amy.

The other fans always say how compatible Sheldon and Amy are but I think they confuse compatibility with having shared common interests. At its most basic level, isn’t true compatibility a measure of just how comfortable you are with another person? Amy freely admits that after four years of dating, she doesn’t even have that. She confesses her true feelings to Leonard (another sign she lacks communication with her own boyfriend) but deliberately proceeds to push Sheldon even further away with the schoolgirl outfit. As Major Gripe pointed out, unless you are a Shamy fan, Sheldon’s response to it can’t be interpreted as anything other than one of confusion and discomfort. It’s the old mantra of “what you fear, you create”. Amy’s afraid that Sheldon is uncomfortable with her but all of her actions achieve that very thing. It’s a self-fulfilling prophecy and really the only prophecy with any credance offered up in this episode that the viewers should actually be paying attention to. If TPTB expect me to believe that Shamy sex is literally “written in the stars”, and will provide Sheldon with professional clarity, then I assume Cosmology will be his next field of study with a focus on black holes. It was at the top of his whiteboard for a reason. I can certainly see Sheldon being able to relate to the idea of a once massive star becoming completely burnt out and slowly dying, destined to collapse in on itself as the strength of Gravity (as in the type that might be found up someone’s skirt Tongue ) increases dramatically. I'm sure Amy could definitely inspire a Nobel Prize winning paper on that!!

Finally, I love how the writers took a nice jab at the Lenny too, once again reminding us that sex is really what motivates Leonard to do anything for Penny that he otherwise wouldn’t. He said pretty much the same thing to her face in S5 when they went to the documentary movie on dams. Now the writers give us this lovely tidbit. After insulting Penny’s beliefs and arguing with her about psychics in S3, even going so far as to buy her a book about how psychics are all frauds in order to prove his point, I love how this new episode with Sheldon and Penny simply juxtaposes that one. Penny said it best - true friendship means doing things for each other because… that’s what friends do! They support each other without the anticipation of receiving anything in return. Isn’t that the only solid foundation on which any long lasting relationship is actually built? Smile
The following 12 users Like Satnight815's post:
  • CassandraElise, Toad, queenoftheDales, devilbk, Will_I_BGraded_OnThis, FlyingMonkey, spuffyfan, Gamma, Nutz, Wisp, lewstonewar, Jislane35
Your entire post is brilliant, but I'm particularly enamored with this sentence...

I thought it was very slight of hand that while they distracted everyone with fantastical predictions, the writers took great pains to continue to show us that Sheldon and Amy really otherwise fail at every conceivable metric by which any normal healthy relationship is actually measured.

and this one...

I can certainly see Sheldon being able to relate to the idea of a once massive star becoming completely burnt out and slowly dying, destined to collapse in on itself as the strength of Gravity (as in the type that might be found up someone’s skirt) increases dramatically.

Brilliant analogies those are!

[Image: wikg3s.gif]
OH PLEASE...
The following 1 user Likes Toad's post:
  • Jislane35
And to you Toad of Truth….

[Image: wikg3s.gif]

* Satnight thought to herself: “Good Lord. The picture. The extension of the five characters (err…I mean digits). The abduction between the 3rd and 4th seasons (err…I mean fingers) resulting in them pairing off into couples, not even a thumb in opposition. I can’t consider TPTB will ever truly Vulcan salute their fans. It’s a literary hand wave. It’s a wave. IT’S A WAVE.” * Big Grin

Anyway, thank you so much, Toad, for your kind words. Smile We all try to find answers for ourselves in the swamp of unbalanced formulas the TBBT writers actually call scripts. I was forced to consult my own spirit guides with this one. Surprisingly, they told me that the most important thing I should take away from this episode was Bernadette’s own words. She mentioned to Leonard that Penny was getting him a watch for his birthday from money she took out of his wallet. Apparently this seemingly innocuous statement will be the key to my happiness in understanding this show in, say, one episode from now. I’m really hoping it will be the smoking gun that Penny finally needs to prove to herself that Leonard is an exaggerator at best (much like he does his own height) or an outright lying weinie at worst (something many of us already know). Either that, or it will be proof positive that these writers can’t string together even the smallest semblance of continuity whatsoever…. not even from, what is practically, one episode to the next. Sad
The following 2 users Like Satnight815's post:
  • Jislane35, queenoftheDales