Shenny's Cognitive Theory of Dreaming!
This next room was kind of a large living room. Yeah, with the gilt chandeliers, mirrors everywhere, white pillars, etc. And it also was filled with people. Thing is, I look down and see that there's broken glass all over the floor. And now also that I'm not wearing shoes. I'm barefoot. And I realize I'm surrounded by all this broken glass. I can't step a foot in any direction. I grab onto something nearby, a drape, maybe. And start calling for help. There's so many people there, and everyone's talking at once..any calls I make seem to be drowned out by all the din. Well, finally someone hears my calls, and comes to my rescue. The couple who own the house, that are giving the party. And it's Sheldon and Penny! And of course, they're Vintage Shenny! Penny is kind and worried about me, and is allaying my fears, trying to come up with a solution. And Sheldon..he seems confused. He's got that lost, alien look going. Like, I was expecting him to offer me a hot beverage, just so he could be of some help. But in short order Penny comes up with a solution. She tells Sheldon to go upstairs to the bedroom and bring her a pair of her shoes for me. And I'm just so relieved I could hug her (if I wasn't hanging onto the drape so tightly!)

So yeah, Sheldon comes back with the shoes. And they're flip-flops, of course! I try to step into them, but they're too small. I realize it's just a temporary solution, but I'm annoyed all the same. I'm also annoyed that the shoes aren't my taste. They look fine on Penny, but they're not 'me'. So, inside I was disappointed, and trying to hide my aggravation. This is all I remember from the dream.

Now, I brought it up to my therapist the next time I saw her, because I felt it was chock-full of symbolism, and wanted her take on it. To my surprise (and delight) she offered right away to interpret it. We'd never talked dreams prior to that. And being that therapy was something pretty new to me at the time, I wasn't sure if she'd dismiss dream interpretation as hokum. 

Anyway..yada yada..she interpreted the broken glass and me being barefoot as me looking at all kind of possibilities in my life. And consequently, having to make decisions that are scary for me. At that time I was feeling very lost and overwhelmed in real life. And yes, I have a hard time making decisions because I see so many possibilities, and I'm always afraid I'm going to make the wrong choice and be stuck with it. Or, have to backtrack and waste all kinds of precious time. I kind of see Sheldon that way. Or Vintage Sheldon, at least. But that's a tangent for another thread. 

The part that's interesting to me most (and why I wanted to share it here) was when I told her her the hosts of the party were Penny and Sheldon. Yeah, I admit it, I was embarrassed to share this part/aspect of the dream. But again, she reassured me. She was glad I told her this part because she felt it was important for me to understand why Sheldon and Penny were the hosts of this party. And the significance of them coming to my aid. She said they represent people that I consider nice and worthy of my trust. That I obviously feel safe about them or something. Or..the fact that the hosts were fictional characters I look up to/like, was a good sign in the dream. That, even though I was in a scary position, worried about making a choice and the possibilities of getting hurt, the fact that I was supported by people I trust, and a solution was found, that told her that my subconscious was telling me it's okay to make a decision. There's more to it than this, but I just wanted to tell the part about Sheldon and Penny. And the fact that my therapist thought their inclusion in my dream was something positive. And more surprisingly, nothing to feel ashamed to admit.
"The mark of mediocrity is to look for precedent."   Norman Mailer
The following 2 users Like Kimk26's post:
  • Idle Miscreant, Trust No One

Messages In This Thread
RE: Shenny's Cognitive Theory of Dreaming! - by Kimk26 - 10-20-2015, 01:26 PM