The Existential Angst of Stuart Bloom
(01-07-2014, 04:15 PM)WITCHDOCTOR FANTASTIC Wrote:
(01-07-2014, 03:24 AM)Moonbase Wrote: Stuart is one of my faves. I actually think the actor is wasted on the show.

He started out so well until they tried to make him Raj's sidekick. The problem was, Raj was always the sidekick, so Stuart was delegated to the 'sidekicks sidekick'. It was hideously twisted and not unbelievable. Stuart should have taken over the alpha position and Raj should have remained the sidekick to him.

His melancholy is almost profound. Whereas Raj's melancholy verges on the I-want-to-kill-him!

[Image: 577.jpg]

Yes, Stuart is an underrated character. A lot of people on the TBBT Site have said that he's just used as a plot device, but I don't think that's fair. I always laugh at his lines and I actually find him more endearing than Raj, the second most pessimistic guy on the show. I also think he and Raj could have been a better beta-double act had the writers put a bit more into that little plot point.

The unpleasant thing about Raj is that he REALLY lets things go to his head. Ever since Raj said "later losers!" when he got a date with Lucy after that speech to the guys in the Comic Book Store about how special they were or something like that I thought: Hm. He's a bit of a dick when things go his way. I don't like how the show is slowly making it's "sweet" characters, e.g. quiet Raj, unaware Sheldon etc. more and more purposely mean spirited. How can we extend sympathy to someone who is unsympathetic towards people who struggle just like they do?
In short, I do prefer current Stuart to current Raj.

I agree. Stuart is pathetic, but in a charming, harmless, likable way. He's about the only character who doesn't have a nasty side.
The following 1 user Likes FlyingMonkey's post:
  • muaaimoi

Messages In This Thread
The Existential Angst of Stuart Bloom - by Wisp - 01-06-2014, 07:16 PM
RE: The Existential Angst of Stuart Bloom - by Moonbase - 01-07-2014, 03:24 AM
RE: The Existential Angst of Stuart Bloom - by FlyingMonkey - 01-08-2014, 03:59 AM