Shenny HQ
10.09 The Geology Elevation - Printable Version

+- Shenny HQ (https://shennyhq.co.uk/dir)
+-- Forum: The Big Bang Theory (https://shennyhq.co.uk/dir/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Anything can happen Thursday (Season 8-12) (https://shennyhq.co.uk/dir/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+---- Forum: Season 10 (https://shennyhq.co.uk/dir/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+---- Thread: 10.09 The Geology Elevation (/showthread.php?tid=560)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: 10.09 The Geology Elevation - Idle Miscreant - 11-15-2016

I don't think Boyfriend!Sheldon would be able to pronounce the above sentence, let alone come up with it.
It's beautifully worded, dignified, and the sentiment is noble. Social relationships (by which he means romantic ones, in context) aren't the be all and end all of existence. Some folk do elevate their work above all things, and find passion and meaning in that. It worked for Tesla et al...

I'm amazed such a character as Vintage Sheldon lasted as long as he did on mainstream American television. We had 4 years of that brilliant fucker. Perhaps the light that burns twice as bright DOES burn half as long...

RE: 10.09 The Geology Elevation - CTR69 - 11-15-2016

I blame the feminists. Self-sufficient MGTOW guy with a blonde neighbor next door, isn't allowed to exist in today's PC society. Kill him with an incompatible GF, marriage and babies. They could at least get the pairings right, but nooo...
/rant

With new episodes coming out, every vintage ep is like a treasure. Even those who you thought were not that good, when first aired. How pleasant Sheldon's ramblings are to the ears.

Watch from 8:25 onwards, how prophetic...

RE: 10.09 The Geology Elevation - Toad - 11-15-2016

(11-15-2016, 06:07 AM)CTR69 Wrote: I blame the feminists.

I blame the writers.

RE: 10.09 The Geology Elevation - QueenOfShebaSays - 11-15-2016

Literally...feminism NOTHING to do with what they did on this show... if it did... Penny wouldn't be with Leonard. No it's just crumby writing and then wanting Leonard to get the girl. And adding Amy to my sown people stop Shipping shenny.

But we should mostly blame Raj and Howard.

RE: 10.09 The Geology Elevation - Tuesday Pajamas - 11-15-2016

(11-15-2016, 06:07 AM)CTR69 Wrote: I blame the feminists. Self-sufficient MGTOW guy with a blonde neighbor next door, isn't allowed to exist in today's PC society. Kill him with an incompatible GF, marriage and babies. They could at least get the pairings right, but nooo...
/rant

With new episodes coming out, every vintage ep is like a treasure. Even those who you thought were not that good, when first aired. How pleasant Sheldon's ramblings are to the ears.

Watch from 8:25 onwards, how prophetic...

Dont blame that on us! I consider myself a feminist and the Sheldon in these clips is the ONLY Sheldon I want to see. The really 'weird' guy is never allowed to get the girl and that's a bunch of blokes making that decision. Its been like this for a long time on American TV and I thought BB were going to buck the trend until they brought in icky Amy. Sheldon and Penny would have been equals. This was never one of my fave episodes either but the dialogue and the characterisation is far suprerior to the binge they throw out today.

RE: 10.09 The Geology Elevation - SpaceAnJL - 11-15-2016

(11-15-2016, 06:07 AM)CTR69 Wrote: I blame the feminists

I sincerely hope you are being sarcastic. There was an angry pushback from female fans who wanted to see themselves represented, wanted to see women as equal characters on screen. What was actually thrown back was a disgusting, offensive parody. That was a decision made by a group of male showrunners who have a clear undertone of misogyny in their oeuvre.

Intelligence, or Non-conformity of any kind, is mistrusted and punished.

I had to look up MGTOW....I think Vintage Sheldon's gender was rather irrelevant. He was an intellect, obsessed with the mysteries of the universe. Women can be like that as well. Quite obviously.

TBBT for all its clever dialogue and brilliant acting was always dreadfully conventional and un-PC. Raj is a borderline stereotype throwback at times. Likewise Howard. The very concept of Penny being a "dumb blonde" from Nebraska is un-PC. These things haven't changed.

If the show was kneeling NOW to the likes of the PC society (by which I presume is meant those who object to discrimination which is based on arbitrary characteristics like skin colour or sexual preference, that don't bloody touch the soul of a person), then Sheldon would have been allowed to remain ASEXUAL.

Making an asexual intellect into a heterosexual, increasingly redneck, arse-slapping MAN who gets horny (christ on a bike) is about as non-PC as you can get.  

Making the blonde even dumber and marrying her off, ditto, VERY NON PC.

Marriage and babies is deeply, deeply conventional, and is something that is still beyond the realm of possibility for a lot of "PC" people.

TBBT has problems, but catering to the PC crowd and feminists (which would be every man and woman I know, personally, given that feminism is just believing women should have the same rights as men) is not one of them.

RE: 10.09 The Geology Elevation - CTR69 - 11-15-2016

I wrote it because I feel the leads were all dumbed down from perfect characters and role models to what they are today - Weak male lead and a sidekick, two strong female leads, who are never wrong. That's the PC I meant. How ironic it is, that they kept Howard the sane one, given his creepy attitude towards Penny in the first seasons. His character growth was good, IMO.

But with Sheldon, it's like TPTB tried to do the right thing (be less sexist), but completely overshot their mark. They tried too hard to please everybody (when is Sheldon getting a GF?), made him an idiot and ruined the fragile main character balance they had in the beginning. All jokes are on him now, with the geology, weird dancing, moving issues,... And everybody is just laughing at him and correcting him about everything, like he's 10 years old.

I know this is an episode thread, but transforming TBBT, of all the shows, into a female-led rom-com, I don't know...
I love this site and everybody, it's just something I had to point out from my PoV.

That's cool man. Wine

And I quite agree. Just not sure what it has to do with gender?

As an HQ mod (a very useless one) for three years, I think it's just that most folk here (myself certainly) see gender as completely irrelevant to character, or don't give a shit about babies and marriage as an artistic decision. Maybe in life, but it's boring as art.

Also, nothing wrong with a female led show. Ab Fab is fucking spectacular. And many many others. Romcoms are just generally terrible. But it's bugger all to do with gender, it's just romcoms are mawkish, hackneyed soap-opera piffle.

Sheldon has absolutely been reduced and ruined, as you said, but surely it's his mind that was destroyed. His dignity and his independence. Not his masculinity. His gender is neither here nor there. He's arguably more "traditionally" masculine now. And definitely more sexist. That horrible bloody Egg Salad episode...

But aye, I get what you mean about TPTB trying to please more people, by adding romance and normalising Sheldon, or rather, by turning him into a buffoon. That's the whole mantra of HQ! (miserable bastards that we are Big Grin )

It's just that the crowd they've won isn't the PC crowd (er...me), if anything it's the more stolidly conservative crowd. The more active "PC" pals of mine wouldn't touch the damn thing with half a mile of fucking organic quinoa.

The show has lost all its old vaguely "cult" clout. It's still very clever writing, and the acting is top notch, no mistake, but the characters aren't anything intellects or outsiders can relate to anymore. 

And that's bloody sad. 

Ach well, we'll always have the Vintage years eh?

Eh. Sad

Enough of this, let's have some muthafuckin BLUES BROTHERS... Wine  

[Image: giphy.gif]