Tear-jerkage
A thread for the top moments in your favourite TV shows/movies that grab at your hearstrings and refuse to let go...
HARRISON FORD IS IRRADIATING OUR TESTICLES WITH MICROWAVE SATELLITE TRANSMISSIONS

AND WHO THE FUCK STOLE MY BOILED EGGS?
I don't think I've ever cried at a TV show. I did tear up recently at the "Puppy Love" Super Bowl commercial where the puppy waiting for adoption on a farm keeps escaping to the farm next door to see his "buddy" a horse. Silly right? Well, my excuse is I'm a little under the weather which weakens my resistance to all things cute. Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQB7QRyF4p4

There have been a lot of movies that have made me tear up or out-right cry. I'll try to think of my favorite top three.
The following 1 user Likes taffinabean's post:
  • Jislane35
1. When Dr. Green died on ER and Carter was crying as he read the letter. (I love Noah Wyle Tongue)

2. When Vegeta was crying right before he died after Freiza blasted his ass on Dragonball Z. Sad

3. When Forrest was talking to Jenny's grave in Forrest Gump.

I'm sure there are more....
The following 1 user Likes queenoftheDales's post:
  • Jislane35
Hhhm. What an interesting and potentially embarrassing topic....

I get terribly emotional over very specific scenes in certain films, and thus refuse to watch them with others, lest I be called a Big Girl's Blouse. I prefer to snivel alone into my wine in the dark.
My most reliable upsets would be;

Death in Venice (When Aschenbach has decided to say "fuck it" and returns to Venice, also when Aschenbach is laughing hysterically, having realised he's going to die, and the death by plague itself, with his Muse standing far out at sea. Incidentally, I hope I'm not spoiling anything here. The film IS called DEATH in Venice, not Light Massage in Venice...)

Les Enfants du Paradis (Baptiste in the crowd, obviously)

Onegin (the duel and the whole general pathetic hideousness of his despair at the end)

Zero Kelvin (billed as a Nordic Existential Western...and it really fucking is)

Amadeus (Mozart's death and then the following unceremonious dumping of his body into a mass pauper's grave. Also Mozart going mad in general...)

Zorba the Greek (poncing about dancing on the beach, after the monks have fled, the mine's collapsed and everything's cocked up...)

A Tale of Two Cities (Dirk Bogarde's character dies. AGAIN!)

Goya in Bordeaux (Goya's death, with the muse emerging from the painting)

Apollo 13, just to completely throw the artsy-fartsy trend off track....BUT, not when he comes back to earth, but when he's finally understood he's not going to the moon, and has that little fantasy about bounding around on the surface. That makes me weepy.

And if we're talking about Tom Hanks, then Philadelphia. Even the fucking title music makes me unhappy.

Television;

The last episode of Blackadder. That one actually upset my mother so much that she's refused to watch it since. I still find it very difficult.

Nearly every episode of The Big Bang Theory since Season 4. Watching the broken, gormless husk of a once honourable and noble creature shambling about, helplessly being moved through the motions of a pantomime relationship, bereft of his Purpose and Vision, is one of the most heartbreaking things I've ever been witness to.
"WHERE THE HELL'S MY PARACHUTE?"
The following 1 user Likes Idle Miscreant's post:
  • Jislane35
(02-05-2014, 08:15 AM)queenoftheDales Wrote: 1. When Dr. Green died on ER and Carter was crying as he read the letter. (I love Noah Wyle Tongue)

2. When Vegeta was crying right before he died after Freiza blasted his ass on Dragonball Z. Sad

3. When Forrest was talking to Jenny's grave in Forrest Gump.

I'm sure there are more....

Yes that was sad, and when Forrest was talking to Jenny on her death bed about the beautiful world he had seen through his experience and life's journey. The desert sky where he couldn't tell where the sky started and the land began. The stars when he was in Vietnam. The message was beautiful and powerful. Maybe corny but so what. Shy

Interestingly enough, a movie I didn't have one emotional reaction to was Titanic.

Finally, in honor of the great Mayim ( Dodgy ) I will admit one of my first tear jerker movie moments happened around 7th grade when watching Beaches. To this day my BFF always says "THATS US" referring to the two girls who grew up together in the movie...of course I'm the dead one. lol
The following 1 user Likes taffinabean's post:
  • Jislane35
(02-05-2014, 09:26 AM)Major Gripe Wrote:
[b]Amadeus
(Mozart's death and then the following unceremonious dumping of his body into a mass pauper's grave. Also Mozart going mad in general...)

The last episode of Blackadder. That one actually upset my mother so much that she's refused to watch it since. I still find it very difficult.

Nearly every episode of The Big Bang Theory since Season 4. Watching the broken, gormless husk of a once honourable and noble creature shambling about, helplessly being moved through the motions of a pantomime relationship, bereft of his Purpose and Vision, is one of the most heartbreaking things I've ever been witness to.[/b]

OH GOD MY EMOTIONS. MY EMOTIONS!

And now SOME of mine:

- Most recently the season 5 episode of Community where Troy leaves... Oh God. Also for some reason, the end of the Documentary Filmmaking: Redux episode. I think it was Dean Pelton's crying face...

- Most episodes of LOST.

- The final episode of Gimme Gimme Gimme.

- Cast Away, when he loses Wilson. WWWWIIIIILLLLLLLLSSSSOOOOOOOONNNNNN!!!!!!!

- When David Tennant's Doctor is separated from Rose.

- A drama called Recovery, (also David Tennant) in which he plays a man whose brain has been damaged after a coma. It's heartbreaking.

- Fantabulosa (About Kenneth Williams. So frigging depressing)

And many moooorrreeee.....
HARRISON FORD IS IRRADIATING OUR TESTICLES WITH MICROWAVE SATELLITE TRANSMISSIONS

AND WHO THE FUCK STOLE MY BOILED EGGS?
The following 2 users Like Wisp's post:
  • CassandraElise, Jislane35
(02-05-2014, 12:38 PM)taffinabean Wrote: Interestingly enough, a movie I didn't have one emotional reaction to was Titanic.

I was not moved with Titanic or The Notebook. I sat staring at my friend like she was an alien as she was bawling.

Marley and Me got me. The thought of losing my sidekick, Riley the Bug Slayer, was too much for me and i went into that movie knowing the end.

P.S. I Love You-- this one. Told the husband to take notes. Tongue
The following 2 users Like queenoftheDales's post:
  • Jislane35, Trust No One
I never get emotional about Tv/films. I can't suspend my disbelief completely, when it comes to fiction. Real life,yes! all the time, sometimes it's a sad story, mostly it's when people show their humanity. In a vacuous, capitalist, soul crushing world, when someone does something 'loving' for someone else, with no thought of recompense, that really moves me. Having said that, there's always an exception. I watched Doubt last night. Meryl Streep and Philip Seymour Hoffman together on screen! Near the end Meryl's character, The Principal, got me. She had a Doubt!
The following 1 user Likes ricardo shillyshally's post:
  • Jislane35
(02-09-2014, 10:20 PM)queenoftheDales Wrote: I was not moved with Titanic or The Notebook. I sat staring at my friend like she was an alien as she was bawling.

Marley and Me got me. The thought of losing my sidekick, Riley the Bug Slayer, was too much for me and i went into that movie knowing the end.

P.S. I Love You-- this one. Told the husband to take notes. Tongue

Marley was very sad and got me as well. I thought Godfather 2 was very sad after Fredo was killed.
The following 1 user Likes Trust No One's post:
  • Jislane35
I just watched Armeggedon and Bruce willis's character saying goodbye to his daughter made me sad. Not crying so much though because I was too busy drinking up Bruce with blond hair (yum) but sad none the less.
The following 1 user Likes queenoftheDales's post:
  • Jislane35