Rowling got it wrong - Harry Potter
Well, it's very much the same thing, too - someone has/had an endgame in mind, and then warped the narrative to fit. Sometimes, characters and situations develop and pull things off course, and not going with the flow and stubbornly sticking to original ideas can show up badly, leaves a fractured storyline and serious plot holes.

With HP, Hermione simply came across as too bright and driven to want to put up with dragging a deadweight around behind her - and he was, especially by bk4. I'm never a fan of 'PAIR ALL THE THINGS!' or 'Babies Ever After', I really saw her character as ending up as a senior researcher some place, the kind of political activist who scares the crap out of government, because she's effective and relentless, and probably someone who goes home to a flat that looks like a second-hand bookshop crashed into it - if she ended up with anyone, it would probably be an older man who wouldn't be threatened by her ambition or intelligence. You can't tell me that she wouldn't end up bringing in the bigger salary, and that Ron wouldn't have whined like a putz about it. Ma Weasley would put anyone off getting involved with the clan, she'd expect her sons' wives to stay home, given how she basically groomed Ginny from childhood to be the little princess waiting passively for Prince Harry.

...Like I said, I have HP Issues.

TBBT was always going the route of crass, lowbrow sex comedy, it just managed to dress itself up in disguise for a season or two, until it hooked the audience, then it went back to the (failed) pilot concept. One trashy drunk borderline whore for Leonard to perv on, one creepy-strange Sheldon stalker entrenched in their lives like Athlete's Foot. Because women are either sextoys you want to sleep with or caricatures/harpies you don't. There's a deep-seated misogyny, which has become more prevalent. But the original concept was vehicle for Johnny Galecki, who was the established Name with sitcom record, it was very much All About Leonard. When the Dark Horse came out of nowhere, though, the showrunners refused to be flexible. They used Sheldon to hook viewers, the interviews and sweeps and photoshoots, but yeah, the palpable resentment that some of us didn't like their speshul snowflake comes off the thing like the stench of medicinal shampoo.
The following 8 users Like SpaceAnJL's post:
  • CassandraElise, Idle Miscreant, Gamma, Jislane35, FranEssi, Wisp, Nutz, Tuesday Pajamas

Messages In This Thread
RE: Rowling got it wrong - Harry Potter - by Wisp - 02-04-2014, 04:04 PM
RE: Rowling got it wrong - Harry Potter - by SpaceAnJL - 02-06-2014, 02:17 AM
RE: Rowling got it wrong - Harry Potter - by Nutz - 04-12-2014, 09:17 AM