Rowling got it wrong - Harry Potter
Am I the only person that doesn't give a shit about Harry Potter? (I said this to my acquaintances. I might as well have said I liked Hitler...)

I think Rowling might be saying this to keep the HP fandom going long after the books/films are finished.
HARRISON FORD IS IRRADIATING OUR TESTICLES WITH MICROWAVE SATELLITE TRANSMISSIONS

AND WHO THE FUCK STOLE MY BOILED EGGS?
The following 1 user Likes Wisp's post:
  • Jislane35
(02-04-2014, 04:04 PM)WITCHDOCTOR FANTASTIC Wrote: Am I the only person that doesn't give a shit about Harry Potter? (I said this to my acquaintances. I might as well have said I liked Hitler...)

I think Rowling might be saying this to keep the HP fandom going long after the books/films are finished.

Big Grin I think most people probably don't.

As a non-canon shipper it was a little satisfying to hear a author say 'I got it wrong'. For obvious reasons. So many arguments start with "how can you think that, character A was made for character B, you are delusional" but this is a stark reminder that even authors are not 100% sure all the time.
The following 4 users Like Tuesday Pajamas's post:
  • Wisp, Jislane35, CassandraElise, FlyingSolo
(02-03-2014, 10:35 PM)SpaceAnJL Wrote: *grins* And it is the same type of 'shippers, too. The Weasleys basically forced themselves on Harry and refused to fuck off (and I'm not completely against the school of thought re love potions either) and somehow a disturbing pre-teen crush with a good dash of Oedipal creepery is 'tru wuv', and a smart, ambitious, pretty girl ends up with a whiny, jealous deadweight.

I've never liked Ron that much (he reminds me a LOT of Leonard) there wasn't much appeal to his character and always acted like a jittery, insecure, and whiny wuss. I've always felt a spark between Harry and Hermoine. But I'm glad to hear that even a great author such as Rowling would admit about making an error with the pairings of her saga after it ended.

But sadly TPTB have got their heads so far up their asses that they can't even smell their own shit no more or admit over how sickly and disturbing the canon pairings are, too busy smelling the dough and bragging on about the inaccurate ratings (thanks to syndication) and how excited they are to hear how much their fans love the 'new' material (who are actually the Shamy's that are the only vocal fan group for the show and automatically believe that they speak for everyone). Sometimes I really do think that it's due to favoritism or something they have against us non-canon shippers as if it should be 'personal' to them.
The following 1 user Likes Jislane35's post:
  • CassandraElise
Well, it's very much the same thing, too - someone has/had an endgame in mind, and then warped the narrative to fit. Sometimes, characters and situations develop and pull things off course, and not going with the flow and stubbornly sticking to original ideas can show up badly, leaves a fractured storyline and serious plot holes.

With HP, Hermione simply came across as too bright and driven to want to put up with dragging a deadweight around behind her - and he was, especially by bk4. I'm never a fan of 'PAIR ALL THE THINGS!' or 'Babies Ever After', I really saw her character as ending up as a senior researcher some place, the kind of political activist who scares the crap out of government, because she's effective and relentless, and probably someone who goes home to a flat that looks like a second-hand bookshop crashed into it - if she ended up with anyone, it would probably be an older man who wouldn't be threatened by her ambition or intelligence. You can't tell me that she wouldn't end up bringing in the bigger salary, and that Ron wouldn't have whined like a putz about it. Ma Weasley would put anyone off getting involved with the clan, she'd expect her sons' wives to stay home, given how she basically groomed Ginny from childhood to be the little princess waiting passively for Prince Harry.

...Like I said, I have HP Issues.

TBBT was always going the route of crass, lowbrow sex comedy, it just managed to dress itself up in disguise for a season or two, until it hooked the audience, then it went back to the (failed) pilot concept. One trashy drunk borderline whore for Leonard to perv on, one creepy-strange Sheldon stalker entrenched in their lives like Athlete's Foot. Because women are either sextoys you want to sleep with or caricatures/harpies you don't. There's a deep-seated misogyny, which has become more prevalent. But the original concept was vehicle for Johnny Galecki, who was the established Name with sitcom record, it was very much All About Leonard. When the Dark Horse came out of nowhere, though, the showrunners refused to be flexible. They used Sheldon to hook viewers, the interviews and sweeps and photoshoots, but yeah, the palpable resentment that some of us didn't like their speshul snowflake comes off the thing like the stench of medicinal shampoo.
The following 8 users Like SpaceAnJL's post:
  • CassandraElise, Idle Miscreant, Gamma, Jislane35, FranEssi, Wisp, Nutz, Tuesday Pajamas
I have always been baffled by why Harry HAD to have a relationship in the first place. Come on the guy was up to his neck in death, gore, espionage, and had a HUGE Jesus complex (wants to save everyone). For him to even THINK about a relationship, especially after finding out that only one could survive was IMO senseless. I guess I always imagined his ending like Frodo. No wife, no relationship, just trying being a good uncle to all his friends kids, while looking over his shoulder the rest of his life that someone, somewhere, somehow could bring Voldemort back. (O.k I know that's not like Frodo, but you get the point). I guess I feel Rowling copped out by having the main three have a "happy" ending.
“There are no scenes more fun to do, I feel like, than the ones between Sheldon and Penny. They are such a wonderful odd couple.” - Jim Parsons
The following 5 users Like Nutz's post:
  • Jislane35, Idle Miscreant, FranEssi, Tuesday Pajamas, lewstonewar
(02-04-2014, 04:04 PM)WITCHDOCTOR FANTASTIC Wrote: Am I the only person that doesn't give a shit about Harry Potter? (I said this to my acquaintances. I might as well have said I liked Hitler...)

I'm more of a "Only 2 obsessions at a time" type a gal. If this came out when HP was my top two I would be insane but it's in the obsession archive now with X-Files, TNG, Buffy, and Remington Steele.
The following 1 user Likes lewstonewar's post:
  • Jislane35
I knew it! I had shipped Harry/Hermione as they grew older in the book series. Not because Harry was the hero and Hermione was the intelligent friend, but because these two characters really knew each other well. They understood each other at a deep level, and quite frankly, I never really understood the attraction that Ron/Hermione had for each other. Most of the time it felt forced to me. Same with Harry/Ginny. It was nice to hear that the author had originally wanted Harmony together.
The following 1 user Likes FlyingSolo's post:
  • CassandraElise