Sci-fi movie recommends
Just watched the new Ghostbusters. There were some good moments and although It wasn't a great movie, it wasn't the complete suck-fest I heard it was. It's a "Popcorn" movie (kind of enjoyable when watching, but ultimately forgettable).
“There are no scenes more fun to do, I feel like, than the ones between Sheldon and Penny. They are such a wonderful odd couple.” - Jim Parsons
We had a sci-fi of recent movies we've missed. The two were Looper and Inception. TBH, I was expecting more from inception than it gave me. Looper was far more entertaining.
Let's go exploring!
The Sc-Fi London festival starts this month. Look at this crazy animated weird thing. Some of these new movies don't make it to DVD so I might just have to go check out a few. Big Grin

Those of you in London check out the festival https://sci-fi-london.com
I watch so many films, they all start to blur into one a bit. My recent recollection seems to involve the ISS as a character that gets blown apart a lot.

Two films that stand out are Sunshine, which I mention because it was a good film and the Parker Solar Probe has just been launched. But also Ex Machina(which I must re watch), partly because of a brilliant performance by Alicia Vikander as an AI being. AI is one of my interests. I think it's often misinterpreted and misunderstood, but in the future it may become one of the greatest tools that will help humans solve problems faster than we produce them(it already is in terms of AI systems).

But by far the best piece of sci fi I've seen in recent years was part of the Black Mirror series; USS Callister (and Arkangel). In USS Callister the Star Trek parody, mixed with the gaming, made for an interesting blurring of reality/fiction and virtual worlds.  Just watch it!
Just excuse me rambling on here. I find culture and cultural expression through films, tv series, music and gaming; fascinating.

I watched Ex Machina again, and I think it's a feminist film with an AI sub plot. The Nathan character is playing out the Bluebeard story with ex companions hanging in cupboards. But reality is reversed. Nathan ends up dead. And Caleb ends up being questioned, outwitted and locked in a box by Ava.
I also watched Blade Runner 2049 and Valerian and the city of a thousand planets(a while ago). The later I enjoyed as pure visual spectacle(plot similar to Avatar>colonisation/tribes), and for Cara's attitude.
Lars Von Trier films are never easy, but unforgettable. Just watched Melancholia again. I often  wonder about the deeply held fears of humans; the end of the world, the apocalypse. Also great when actors are given a chance to show how brilliant the are, Kirsten Dunst. I can't even put how moving her performance is.  The whole film is beyond words.

Wild ride, Jupiter Ascending by the Wachowski sisters>