GAMING ADDICTION.
As you know gaming features a lot in TBBT. Whether it's the guys nights, Penny retrieving Sheldon's stolen loot, or Penny getting addicted(so Funny!).
I'm a big gaming fan(but always get to things out of sync with everyone else). So I only started playing GTAV recently, but am totally addicted. But I'm also interested in the whole culture and how it's developing. So what are your favourite games and why?

Here's another game I recently bought. It's by a small independent team, using a free Unreal Engine 4, and shows just what is becoming available. There's also a VR version>

I came across an interesting study by Rochester Uni(NY). They took two teams of non gamers; first group played fast action games, other group slow games, for fifty hours. The first group improved their cognitive abilities in a range of ways from; reaction times, tracking ability, speed of problem solving, even better at choosing correct answer to problems.

article> http://www.rochester.edu/newscenter/play...ing-78452/
study> http://www.pnas.org/content/111/47/16961
(09-25-2018, 03:42 AM)ricardo shillyshally Wrote: As you know gaming features a lot in TBBT. Whether it's the guys nights, Penny retrieving Sheldon's stolen loot, or Penny getting addicted(so Funny!).
I'm a big gaming fan(but always get to things out of sync with everyone else). So I only started playing GTAV recently, but am totally addicted. But I'm also interested in the whole culture and how it's developing. So what are your favourite games and why?

Resident Evil on the PS1. Big Grin Me and my sister used to play it in the 90s. Scary at the time and I was hooked on killing vampires every since.
In a game I still play, Skyrim, there are vampires and many other characters, some get killed. Although I rely on a vampire woman, Serana, who helps me, I wouldn't last 15 minutes without her(although we do have to kill her father at some point).

I do find this whole world of; fiction(incl: Sci Fi), fantasy, gaming and dreams(just read thread about dreams), that humans create fascinating. It's a form of escapism, especially when it seems to be raining and real world seems a bit dull.

Apparently Einstein said 'Imagination is more important than knowledge' and 'I believe in intuition and inspiration.... At times I feel certain I am right while not knowing the reason'.  from https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/...magination

I'm still working on this idea, (a sort of play area for the mind), but I think gaming is a sort of fantasy world, while simultaneously vastly improving our cognitive abilities.

(09-25-2018, 03:42 AM)ricardo shillyshally Wrote: So what are your favourite games and why?

Kingdom Hearts and Assassin's Creed are my favorites, though granted, I haven't played a lot of either series. But I /love/ AC because of Desmond/Ezio and the whole Isu thing, and Kingdom Hearts is just great in it's vastness. I do play a lot of Call of Duty, but that's just because I like shooting people's heads off as momentary stress relief. Other than that, the only game I do play currently is the Yu-Gi-Oh GX Duel Academy on GBA, simply for nostalgia.
(12-04-2018, 05:27 AM)Nostalgia Wrote: Kingdom Hearts and Assassin's Creed are my favorites, though granted, I haven't played a lot of either series. But I /love/ AC because of Desmond/Ezio and the whole Isu thing, and Kingdom Hearts is just great in it's vastness. I do play a lot of Call of Duty, but that's just because I like shooting people's heads off as momentary stress relief. Other than that, the only game I do play currently is the Yu-Gi-Oh GX Duel Academy on GBA, simply for nostalgia.

I did play some AC, but it seemed a bit too controlled, and I probably didn't get good enough. I prefer open world, and only do missions when I need to. I started looking into this stuff, because some people were looking to blame school shootings on violent games. But the evidence shows that when a game like Call of Duty or GTA are released the crime rate drops, although that can be interpreted in a number of ways.

I think there is some cross over between fictional worlds and reality, but I think generally it can be a positive thing. Like if someone plays a hero or heroine in game they may feel more confident in real life (Jumanji, played with that idea in a fun way). I sometimes think that places I know in a game seem as real as a memory.

(12-06-2018, 09:06 AM)ricardo shillyshally Wrote: I did play some AC, but it seemed a bit too controlled, and I probably didn't get good enough. I prefer open world, and only do missions when I need to. I started looking into this stuff, because some people were looking to blame school shootings on violent games.

AC is meant to be controlled, considering it was originally meant to be a stealth/assassination game before it got to be more MMO/just out and out fighting rather than actual assassination(The games past the Ezio/Desmond Trilogy fell away from their roots a lot in my opinion) and you were also playing set "memories" of your ancestors. Later games like Origins give you the open world concept by putting you in /directly/ as the ancestor in those times rather than going through the Animus, but that loses a lot in the transition and it's become less AC than "20XX MMO with AC skin" now. The primary reason I liked AC though was the inclusion of the Isu and their mythos. It blew my mind when I first played ACII and you beat up Rodrigo Borgia in the Vault at the Vatican before finding out the whole journey Ezio and Desmond were put on from Day 1.

I tried playing open world a few times, but it inevitably bores me and I have no want or need to try grasping at every "trophy" out there or getting 100% completion. Skyrim(GOTY), for example, I had and played a lot, but just wandering around trying to find things to kill or do bored me to the point I just dropped it. I guess I'm just the opposite of you, I just want to get into the thick of things and if I'm just aimlessly exploring an "open world" I'll get bored and not feel like I'm getting anything out of it.
I still keep some games thinking I might get on with them sometime, like AC(I've got III) and Deus Ex. I'm sure there are games for every type of person, and even which mood you are in. Some people like driving trains in games(you'd think Sheldon would have had that).

I think game designers do try to make their games addictive in all sorts of ways. From rewards in game to chemical rushes when achieving something, it's all transferable.  
I sort of do the missions in say GTAV but mess around a lot between them. I'm limited at present there are only a few open world games around, RDR2 isn't on PC yet.