Hate Shamy?
Tell us why...

I hate Shamy because their dynamic is so degrading. The world tells of the Sheldon who was improved and turned into a better person but not of the fact he became a blithering idiot.

[Image: 41e1d8c1f6ceced12dd832179cb176a2.jpg]
The following 3 users Like Tuesday Pajamas's post:
  • Kagenny, Idle Miscreant, Nostalgia
Oh, Shemona...
Ramona is so beautiful and Sheldon always enjoys her company. As Penny, she's the Light to Amy's darkness.

[Image: big-bang-theory-season-10-finale.jpg?w=1...563&crop=1]

I'd rather write positive things, Shamy only makes me upset and negative.
The following 4 users Like CTR69's post:
  • Tuesday Pajamas, chaotic temptation, Ratman77, Nostalgia
I hate Shamy because it changed Sheldon from a unique, brilliant character into a dime-a-dozen stereotype bumbling, befuddled sitcom boyfriend. And they saddled him with a manipulative, joyless girlfriend whose sole purpose was to change him.
The following 6 users Like FlyingMonkey's post:
  • Tuesday Pajamas, Idle Miscreant, Nutz, Ratman77, Kagenny, Nostalgia
Yes hate is a word I don’t generally use in everyday life. Most of the time I don’t have the interest or energy to hate Shamy. Then I see an episode and it’s horrendous, patronising or re-conned and I get a flash of rage. Big Grin
The following 2 users Like Tuesday Pajamas's post:
  • Ratman77, Nostalgia
I hate ShAmy because it has made every other character on the show become a crutch to support the most manipulative, toxic, tell-don’t show relationship I have ever seen on TV.
Literally EVERY character has had to tell us that the ShAmy is a good idea. Grrrrr. There are soooo many other reasons, but THIS just put a taint on everyone and everything in the show. Angry Angry
I've heard it both ways.
The following 2 users Like Jela's post:
  • Ratman77, Nostalgia
Hating fictional characters is a waste of my time, but I do hate the Showrunners and writers who decided that the easy (and lazy) writing path was preferable over actually working for their paycheck so the brilliance and originality of Sheldon could remain. I hate that they were so scared that ANY of their audience might see Sheldon and Penny as a viable couple that they ripped apart their core personalities by lobotomizing him and turning her into a drunken user so they would "work" with who they deemed appropriate and I hate that a show I loved because it was original and funny in the first three seasons was turned into High school revenge fantasies, manipulation and misogynistic 1950/60 TV tropes.
“There are no scenes more fun to do, I feel like, than the ones between Sheldon and Penny. They are such a wonderful odd couple.” - Jim Parsons
The following 4 users Like Nutz's post:
  • Jela, FlyingMonkey, Ratman77, Nostalgia
How Sex Ruined The Big Bang Theory
July 8, 2016
by Trilby Beresford

When Jim Parsons first graced our TV screens as Sheldon Cooper in The Big Bang Theory, he had a style all his own. Neurotic but endearing, Sheldon boasted a Mensa-recognized intellect. He arrogantly flaunted this intellectual superiority as undisputed fact, yet still managed to come off as a lovable sitcom character — one who was generous with the unique information stored in his cranial crevices. Of course, we're talking mostly about scientific data involving wormholes and string theory, because Sheldon is a theoretical physicist at Caltech.

Sheldon was also riddled with anxiety and socially inept. But it didn't matter, because he was academically brilliant. And he certainly had no time to pursue anything romantic.

Sheldon wasn't even interested in going down that laborious romantic road of inevitable doom, and displayed little to no understanding of the adult relationships that surrounded him, such as Leonard (Johnny Galecki) and Penny (Kaley Cuoco), or Howard Wolowitz (Simon Helberg) and long-time love Bernadette (Melissa Rauch). Sheldon existed in a perfect bubble of childlike comfort, peeking out occasionally to attend a Star Wars convention or some other geek-o-rama. Otherwise, he couldn't even be bothered to leave his sacred spot on the couch, a place where he could live in the comfort of his own brilliant and self-satisfied mind.

Then in the fourth season, Sheldon began a relationship with neurobiologist Amy Farrah Fowler (Mayim Bialik). Although this development was contrary to Sheldon's presumed asexuality, audiences bought this story arc because it didn't actually involve any romance. Instead, their union was characterized by Sheldon's extreme neurosis, such as the infamous “Relationship Agreement” to verify the ground rules of being boyfriend and girlfriend.

Within these rather strict and impersonal rules, Sheldon and Amy's coupling seemed like little more than an elementary school relationship comprised of sweet glances and hand holding. But upon closer inspection, Sheldon's dynamic with Amy was adorable in a fascinating way; they bickered like an old married couple, and enjoyed a genuine friendship that felt unique to sitcom television — because it wasn't about sex. It wasn't the tired "Ross and Rachel" storyline from Friends. That is, until it was.

Along with milestones that felt appropriate to the show, like Sheldon listing Amy as his emergency contact, and telling Amy that if he were ever stranded on Mars, she'd be the only person he'd want to be stuck with, he started to do things that suggested a frightening and full-on personality transplant. He said the words "I love you" out loud. He "wooed" Amy when they broke up, and got jealous when other men came into the picture. Essentially, Sheldon became Ross Geller.

And then came the sex.
Sheldon and Amy's relationship went to the next level in "The Opening Night Excitation," which aired last December. This is a very strange episode in that it's absolutely not about science, but instead focused on the new Star Wars movie release, and Amy's birthday — which happen to fall on the same day. After Obi-Wan Kenobi visits Sheldon in his dreams and talks sense into him, Sheldon decides to spend Amy's birthday with her instead of seeing the movie with the guys. He also decides to give Amy a special birthday present: the "gift" of his genitals.

This "coitus," as Sheldon refers to it, is momentous for The Big Bang Theory. It also never should have happened.

Post-coitus, Sheldon enjoys himself like any regular guy would. The problem is that Sheldon is not regular. He was always so wonderfully irregular. He was among the most delightfully peculiar TV characters in modern memory, along with Kramer (Michael Richards) in Seinfeld, April (Aubrey Plaza) in Parks and Recreation, and Tina Belcher (voiced by Dan Mintz) in Bob's Burgers.

Now that Sheldon has lost his virginity, The Big Bang Theory will not go down in history for introducing a fantastic asexual character whose passion for science was the core of his very existence, and whose personal life was on the backburner where it belonged. The show will be remembered for re-writing said character as a guy's guy whose future will probably include marriage, and all that boring "adult" stuff that screams normality.

The Big Bang Theory returns for a 10th (and maybe final?) season this fall. And when it does, we'll likely have a Sheldon we barely recognize. He's already less obsessed with scientific theory, looser in how he carries himself, more jokey and less ignorant of humor and sarcasm. This is not the neurotic Sheldon we know and love. Suddenly, there is very little that sets The Big Bang Theory apart from other sitcoms.

And that's why I hope this is the show's final season. The Big Bang Theory frankly needs to end — because it's no longer fulfilling the premise that it so boldly introduced when it began.

http://theweek.com/articles/633560/how-s...ang-theory
“There are no scenes more fun to do, I feel like, than the ones between Sheldon and Penny. They are such a wonderful odd couple.” - Jim Parsons
The following 7 users Like Nutz's post:
  • FlyingMonkey, CassandraElise, Ratman77, Jenger, Kagenny, Idle Miscreant, Nostalgia
Dethroning The Big Bang Theory has this valid point about Shamy:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/De...BangTheory

Blue Canary writes "Speaking of Amy, while I generally hate Amy Farrah Fowler's character for a number of reasons, I've decided to put "The Habitation Configuration" as my example. Basically, Sheldon invites Wil Wheaton to be a guest on his Fun With Flags web series, and has Amy direct it. Amy, once again thinking way too highly of herself, starts insisting that Wil is "wooden" and won't accept anything he's doing, even when he points out he's been acting for years and knows what he's doing. Wil, finally getting tired of her crap, makes a sarcastic comment about the fact that this is her first time ever directing (insulting her because it implies she doesn't know what she's doing, which she doesn't) and Amy, feeling she's owed respect even after her behavior, demands Sheldon defend her. Sheldon, being Sheldon, makes Amy leave when he realizes the two won't get along so he can spend more time with his friend. Everyone sides with Amy and tells Sheldon that he should apologize and make Wil apologize for being "rude." The thing is, Amy's behavior brought Wil's "rudeness" upon herself. If she wasn't so controlling and insisting on making everything about herself to gain attention she thinks she deserves (which she does often), Wil wouldn't have gotten snappy with her. Hell, he wasn't even rude after her first couple of corrections; it was only after she kept badgering him and insisting he was screwing everything up that he finally snapped at her. So in the end, Sheldon drunkenly demands an apology from Wil (who good naturedly agrees), and Amy continues to be her horrible self without learning any sort of lesson and Sheldon just has to shut up and support her no matter what, even if he disagrees with her. And that's the other thing so wrong about this episode; the Unfortunate Implications that partners in relationships aren't allowed to be anything little more than yes-men who must agree with everything the other does, even if they're wrong, and must fight anyone else who dares to call that behavior out."
The following 6 users Like Nutz's post:
  • Jela, Tuesday Pajamas, CassandraElise, Ratman77, Jenger, Nostalgia
Hi everybody!

I know that I repeat myself, but at this point I would still like to take the opportunity to explain why I reject the "Shamy"-relationship.

As already mentioned, the primary attraction of the show was the clash of two worlds. The gang of nerds with their own specific view to the world and their academic intelligence and the street-smartness and the view for the real life of the waitress Penny.

From this bunch Sheldon was my hero, because he had his own live and was fine with it. He was not really interested in the interests of others, which is not meant to be negative. He wasn`t antisocial and he did not have either a "bite me"- attentive.(He took care for people who were important for him....gave Raj a job, lent Penny money, ect.)  He had simply his own specific goals and his own way to made his life and he was aware about his intellectual skills.

At some point, the authors came to the idea to press Sheldon into a relationship. Okay, the vision "Sheldon in a realtionship" had its charm, but the way the authors have managed this became a neck-breaker. The intoducing of Amy as a female nerd wasn`t a bad idea in general, but the choice to made her to Sheldons girlfriend was the worst thing ever.

At first the facts, that the "Dennis Kim"-episode showed indirectly, that the message was, that a relationship can destroy a great mind and that Amy "was brought" by Sheldons friends-what could be interpreted that, in this context, they wanted to ruin him- and second that they made him to a prey for Amy which ended in this miserable "when they will have sex"- countdown.

Add to these there came this stupid rewritings of Sheldon (a thing he shares with Penny) which made the character  totally confused and illogical. These messy-nonsense, the justifications for his three nock-nock-nock, ect. All these only to let Amy appear as the best thing in his life.

What a mockery.

A "best thing" that is only whiny, constantly complaining and trying to get rid of her partner's preferences.

The only person which could be able to have a relationship with Sheldon, that could work, is/was Penny.

There is/was these respect for each other, the ability to promote only the best of the other and, of course, this chemistry and subliminal attraction seen from the first episode. A relationship of these two could have also held the claim of the first seasons. A matter of sensitivity, true feelings, ambition and humor.

That is it for what the possible "Shenny" is standing for me.

Doctor Sheldon Cooper was one of the most original figures that a medium has produced. Like Jack Sparrow for example. As this he could have truly made TV- history before the producers decided to make him a cheap ordinary soapopera- figure.

The "Shamy" is mainstream-crap. Pretentious, superficial, meaningless.

Thats all.
The following 4 users Like Ratman77's post:
  • Jenger, Idle Miscreant, Tuesday Pajamas, Nostalgia
I dislike and can't stand Shamy because of what it did Sheldon.

I hated the idea that Amy has been the one suffering in the relationship. When they met, Sheldon made it clear that he wasn't interested in a sexual relationship, he wanted a relationship of the mind, and that's what they had, at first.

Then out of no where, Amy does a 180 and becomes this sex-starved individual in a relationship with a man, who it clear that he wasn't interested in a sexual relationship.

And then everyone acts like she deserved his affection, when it's not who he is. It perpetuated the idea that if you wait long enough, you can train your significant other to give up who they are to be what you want them to be.

It completely changed him, and that's why I can't support it.
The following 4 users Like Jenger's post:
  • Idle Miscreant, Tuesday Pajamas, CTR69, Nostalgia