10 Years Later: 1.2 The Big Bran Hypothesis
Season 1, Episode 2 - The Big Bran Hypothesis (First aired on October 1, 2007)

[Image: the-big-bran-hypothesis-8.jpg]

Penny is furious with Leonard and Sheldon when they sneak into her apartment and clean it while she is sleeping.

Canon Facts:
  • Sheldon reveals that he has a master's degree and two PhD's.
  • This episode contains the first mention of Penny's sister
  • We find out Howard is allergic to peanuts.
  • We find our Sheldon is allergic to bees.
  • Raj's last name (Koothrappali) is revealed.
  • Sheldon mentions the Mandelbrot Set of complex numbers. He's referring to a set of points in the complex plane that is self-replicating according to a predetermined rule such that the boundary of the set has fractal dimensions, which is most often used in the study of fractal geometry. This is part of chaos theory. Sheldon mentions this in reference to the chaos in Penny's messy apartment.

Shelnard trying to figure out how to get the bookcase up the stairs using Science, Sheldon in complete OCD mode, the beginning of Penny's "Junior Rodeo" attitude plus Raj/Howard both having at least one moment to shine? There were so many really great moments in this episode, I don't know where to begin.

Favorite Quotes/Moments
Penny: Yes, I know men can't fly.
Sheldon: No, no let's assume that they can. Lois Lane is falling, accelerating at an initial rate of 32ft per second, per second. Superman swoops down to save her by reaching out two arms of steel. Ms. Lane, who is now traveling at approximately 120 miles per hour, hits them, and is immediately sliced into three equal pieces.
 Blossom
Sheldon: I couldn't sleep knowing that just outside my bedroom is our living room and just outside our living room is that hallway and immediately adjacent to that hallway is this!
Leonard: Do you realize if Penny wakes up there's no reasonable explanation to why we are here?
Sheldon: I just gave you a reasonable explanation.
Leonard: No, no. You gave me an explanation. Its reasonableness will be determined by a jury of your peers.
Sheldon: Don't be silly. I have no peers.
Blossom
Leonard: You convinced me. Maybe tonight we should sneak in and shampoo her carpet?
Sheldon: You don't think that crosses a line?
Leonard: Yes! For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
Sheldon:You have a sarcasm sign?

Blossom

“There are no scenes more fun to do, I feel like, than the ones between Sheldon and Penny. They are such a wonderful odd couple.” - Jim Parsons
I think this episode was a huge red flag of what was to come. Sheldon quickly became the break-out star. Parsons is incredible and its the changes they made to his character since the Unaired Pilot that make all the difference. And let's not forget Kaley!!! There wouldn't be a Big Bang without Kaley. Its my belief that it was the casting of Kaley which got the show contracted, after the original unaired pilot failed to impress the network.

This episode is the first Sheldon takeover and the first clash between Shenny. And Leonard's embarrassment at his odd roommate forms the perfect triade. The power of three. The other two characters don't make much of an appearance in this episode and shows what they can do with less characters to feed.

I just love the Shenny chemistry, which starts its life as complete bewilderment when Penny comes face-to-face with someone so different to her that she can't even communicate her anger in a way he understands. She's baffled by him and her expression is perfect! Gone is the girly smiles and phoney flirtations and here's the real person. I love that Sheldon gets under her skin so quickly. Meanwhile he's saying things like "I'm here for you" which suggests that he thinks he's being caring and making her environment orderly, is his idea of an act of kindness. Sheldon is adorable rifling around Penny's apartment in what is a complete invasion of her privacy. He soon learns that he's got it wrong, although his attempts to fix things are even more evidence that he's from another world. Big Grin

Then there's Leonard and Sheldon trying to get Penny's media centre up the staircase! How amazing is the Shelnard chemistry in these early shows? And the use of the full gang in the final sequence, when they nerd-out over building her media centre is a nerdvana classic. I know these shows are not as 'acclaimed' as some of the later ones but this may be because the general public and many critics are idiots. Big Grin

[Image: 107563b455b5a95376b25eb4fa32ba7e.gif]

The science which some hate and I love!!