Penny Blossom
Creative suggestions for a title for this thread would be appreciated!

Here is a thread to discuss any and every aspect of Penny as an individual. How did she come to be the way she is? What makes her tick? Why does she act the way she does? Let's delve into her psyche. You could psychoanalyze, talk about her mental and physical tendencies, limitations, vulnerabilities and strengths, or about childhood influences, about her past, her future, her ambitions, her hobbies, her relationships, the important and life-changing incidents in her life, and about how all this has shaped and is shaping her into the person she is today or is going to be in future.

OK, I know this may seem like a silly way to start this thread, or like a very silly question in general, but I really would like to know what kind of pet do you think Penny might keep around, if ever. We already know Sheldon is a cat person. What about Penny? Does she strike you as, say, a dog person? Has she ever shown any interest in an animal/pet in canon at all?
The following 1 user Likes FranEssi's post:
  • Jislane35
(01-23-2014, 01:43 AM)FranEssi Wrote: Again, creative suggestions for a title for this thread would be appreciated!

Here is a thread to discuss any and every aspect of Penny as an individual. How did she come to be the way she is? What makes her tick? Why does she act the way she does? Let's delve into her psyche. You could psychoanalyze, talk about her mental and physical tendencies, limitations vulnerabilities and strengths, or about childhood influences, about her past, her future, her ambitions, her hobbies, her relationships, the important and life-changing incidents in her life, and about how all this has shaped and is shaping her into the person she is today or is going to be in future.

OK, I know this may seem like a silly way to start this thread, or like a very silly question in general, but I really would like to know what kind of pet do you think Penny might keep around, if ever. We already know Sheldon is a cat person. What about Penny? Does she strike you as, say, a dog person? Has she ever shown any interest in an animal/pet in canon at all?

I believe one of the reasons she sticks with Leonard is just to impress her father since he started to disown her a bit after she grown into a normal girl when she was still living in Nebraska. He SEES Leonard to be different from all the other guys she's dated in the past because of his career position and his harmless image. Wyatt even told him to care of his little girl so they both believe that Leonard can support Penny more than she herself ever could. I think both Wyatt and Leonard don't have much faith in supporting her dream (which may be the reason why she's so bitter) and think it's all a mistake and a waste of time so she should just stick to something SAFE and simple like waitressing. But deep down Penny realizes that she came to California for a reason and that was to pursue that dream she's always wanted as a young girl.

You know besides her family we've never gotten much insight on what Penny dreamed about being as a little girl or how she was with her mom. Anyway getting back to the point, I think she knows how impressed her father was with Leonard and easily accepted him unlike all of her other dumb exes so she wants to make her daddy proud of her in at least ONE thing. He didn't seem to be there for get as a kid so maybe she has daddy issues?? And feels more comfortable on having a guy that does almost everything for her? She once mentioned that she didn't have to put any effort into getting the men she wanted rather they all came on to her, they were the ones who'd put the moves on her and she'd go along with them.

OH and even though she doesn't seem to be responsible enough to own a pet she definitely looks like a dog person. I'm guessing a Yorkie, Labrador, or a pooch.
The following 1 user Likes Jislane35's post:
  • FranEssi
Thank you for pointing out Penny's daddy issues. I, too, think that those issues play a huge role in who Penny is and in why she stays with Leonard. Can you blame a girl for not having much self esteem and self respect when her own father asks a jerk (aka Leonard) to just take her, while telling her that she is lucky to be with someone like Leonard? I watched the episode where Wyatt visits Penny only once, but I remember my reaction to the scene he was talking to Leonard about Penny was, 'Wow! What kind of a father is he?' It was like he was trying to get rid of her.

You are right about the pet. She does seem like a dog person! But as you said, she does not seem responsible enough to keep a pet, considering the way she forgot about the goldfish she was supposed to look after! lol!
The following 1 user Likes FranEssi's post:
  • Jislane35
Penny doesn't like being alone. She takes up with guys because she's unhappy when she doesn't have anyone in her life. This suggests to me she is afraid of self reflection and possibly even a little depressed. Leonard was there and to be with him seemed like the better option, in her mind, than being alone. But deep down she knows there's something wrong so she can't quite bring herself to commit.
The following 2 users Like Tuesday Pajamas's post:
  • Jislane35, FranEssi
(01-23-2014, 04:16 AM)Jislane35 Wrote:
(01-23-2014, 01:43 AM)FranEssi Wrote: Again, creative suggestions for a title for this thread would be appreciated!

Here is a thread to discuss any and every aspect of Penny as an individual. How did she come to be the way she is? What makes her tick? Why does she act the way she does? Let's delve into her psyche. You could psychoanalyze, talk about her mental and physical tendencies, limitations vulnerabilities and strengths, or about childhood influences, about her past, her future, her ambitions, her hobbies, her relationships, the important and life-changing incidents in her life, and about how all this has shaped and is shaping her into the person she is today or is going to be in future.

I believe one of the reasons she sticks with Leonard is just to impress her father since he started to disown her a bit after she grown into a normal girl when she was still living in Nebraska. He SEES Leonard to be different from al the other guys she's dated because of his career position and his harmless image. Wyatt even told him to care of his little girl so they both believe that Leonard can support Penny more than she herself ever could. I think both Wyatt and Leonard don't have my h faith in supporting her dream and think it's all a mistake and a waste of time so she should just stick to something SAFE and simple like waitressing. But deep down Penny realizes that she came to California for a reason and that was to pursue that dress she's always wanted as a young girl.

You know besides her family we've never gotten much insight on what Penny dreamed about being as a little girl or how she was with her mom. Anyway getting, I think she knows how impressed her father was with Leonard and easily accepted him unlike all of her other dumb exes so she wants to make her daddy proud of her in something. He didn't seem to be there for get as a kid so maybe she has daddy issues?? And feels more comfortable on having a guy that does almost everything for her? She once mentioned that she didn't have to put any effort into getting the men she wanted rather they came on to her, they were the ones who'd put the moves on her and she'd go along with them.

OH and even though she doesn't seem to be responsible enough to own a pet she definitely looks like a dog person. In guessing a Yorkie, Labrador, or a pooch.

I agree, I think she stays with Leonard because he is familiar and doesn't require her to put in much effort to maintain the relationship. I mean, the guy is the epitome of needy and I bet its an afterthought to have to deal with him. She has been working as a waitress (save the occasional bartender gig) for 7 years and she hasn't tried to at least move up the Cheesecake Factor ladder?? I bet its too easy to just maintain the status quo, especially when there is nothing or no one to push her to be better. Shit, even Bernadette moved on to bigger and better things.

I'd bet she have a dog, these Midwestern folk love dogs...probably a Border collie. Big Grin
The following 1 user Likes queenoftheDales's post:
  • Jislane35
(01-23-2014, 05:02 AM)queenoftheDales Wrote: I agree, I think she stays with Leonard because he is familiar and doesn't require her to put in much effort to maintain the relationship. I mean, the guy is the epitome of needy and I bet its an afterthought to have to deal with him. She has been working as a waitress (save the occasional bartender gig) for 7 years and she hasn't tried to at least move up the Cheesecake Factor ladder?? I bet its too easy to just maintain the status quo, especially when there is nothing or no one to push her to be better. Shit, even Bernadette moved on to bigger and better things.

I'd bet she have a dog, these Midwestern folk love dogs...probably a Border collie. Big Grin

Just popped in briefly to say welcome queenofthedales and to *nodd* yes it says a lot when she stays at the cheesecake factory that long, her relationship with Leonard is more of the same. Smile
The following 1 user Likes Tuesday Pajamas's post:
  • Jislane35
(01-23-2014, 04:43 AM)Tuesday Pajamas Wrote: Penny doesn't like being alone. She takes up with guys because she's unhappy when she doesn't have anyone in her life. This suggests to me she is afraid of self reflection and possibly even a little depressed. Leonard was there and to be with him seemed like the better option, in her mind, than being alone. But deep down she knows there's something wrong so she can't quite bring herself to commit.

Depression (however minor it may be) is a valid point . I bet the constant rejections with her acting has to be destroying her self esteem. Having someone like Leonard around helps cushion the blow a bit.
The following 1 user Likes queenoftheDales's post:
  • Jislane35
(01-23-2014, 05:35 AM)queenoftheDales Wrote:
(01-23-2014, 04:43 AM)Tuesday Pajamas Wrote: Penny doesn't like being alone. She takes up with guys because she's unhappy when she doesn't have anyone in her life. This suggests to me she is afraid of self reflection and possibly even a little depressed. Leonard was there and to be with him seemed like the better option, in her mind, than being alone. But deep down she knows there's something wrong so she can't quite bring herself to commit.

Depression (however minor it may be) is a valid point . I bet the constant rejections with her acting has to be destroying her self esteem. Having someone like Leonard around helps cushion the blow a bit.

I don't see how because although Leonard would tell her all the compliments she wanted to hear just to have her be impressed by him and get laid at the same time he breaks down her self-esteem more than she already does herself. She's in an emotionally abusive relationship and she either doesn't notice or refuses to believe it and instead decides to make the best of it because as someone already mentioned its better than being alone. I'm sorry if this sounds harsh but I personally can't stand people who can't be independent or confident enough to live on their own for their own GOOD. I have nothing against romance and relationships but at the same time they are NOT the answer for everything either. Penny had the potential of being a strong woman but I don't see that happening any time soon, she is going to continue letting Leonard somehow take advantage of her decisions in life. And I can't believe she puts up with mediocre sex and foreplay. She has become apathetic, a people pleaser, pushover, and settling for just good enough instead of something GREAT. She has no self-respect or dignity:/
The following 3 users Like Jislane35's post:
  • queenoftheDales, Trust No One, Tuesday Pajamas
(01-23-2014, 05:53 AM)Jislane35 Wrote:
(01-23-2014, 05:35 AM)queenoftheDales Wrote:

I don't see how because although Leonard would tell her all the compliments she wanted to hear just to have her be impressed by him and get laid at the same time he breaks down her self-esteem more than she already does herself. She's in an emotionally abusive relationship and she either doesn't notice or refuses to believe it and instead decides to make the best of it because as someone already mentioned its better than being alone. I'm sorry if this sounds harsh but I personally can't stand people who can't be independent or confident enough to live on their own for their own GOOD. I have nothing against romance and relationships but at the same time they are NOT the answer for everything either. Penny had the potential of being a strong woman but I don't see that happening any time soon, she is going to continue letting Leonard somehow take advantage of her decisions in life. And I can't believe she puts up with mediocre sex and foreplay. She has become apathetic, a people pleaser, pushover, and settling for just good enough instead of something GREAT. She has no self-respect or dignity:/

The few times she acknowledges problems she is having with growth and Leonard, TPTB just had her write it off like its ok for laughs. Their relationship is far from healthy but I doubt there is going to be any change in their status for the foreseeable future. In fact, I bet the Shamy developments are a ploy to redirect the viewers away from the Lenny problems.
The following 2 users Like queenoftheDales's post:
  • Jislane35, Nutz
Penny's daddy issues are pretty well documented between her breakdown with Leonard's mother about her childhood as "slugger" and her begging Leonard to play her boyfriend when her dad showed up.

Let's not forget the advice Beverly gave her son before leaving him "if you want sexual relations with that girl, find out what kind of cologne her father wears" (which I'm sure he did).
“There are no scenes more fun to do, I feel like, than the ones between Sheldon and Penny. They are such a wonderful odd couple.” - Jim Parsons
The following 1 user Likes Nutz's post:
  • Jislane35