Penny Blossom
(03-10-2014, 08:56 PM)SpaceAnJL Wrote: If the 'very special episode' had Penny revert to a cavewoman and beat the crap out of Leonard et al, I might consider watching it.

No, I think alcohol is just the convenient comedy prop to make her a ditzy loser. Drunk=cheap laughs. This is a show that has made a canon point that Sheldon's father was a possibly violent alcoholic, and they get him publicly drunk for giggles.

I'd be beyond shocked if we get a very special episode. I use to like those episodes. I doubt TPTB want to go deep. The most we will get is a Meemaw death. Even one of the couples cheating seems unlikely. While I do not support cheating in RL, Bring it on with TV shows and fanfic.
The following 2 users Like Trust No One's post:
  • Jislane35, Nutz
A Meemaw death would break Sheldon. Thus they'll probably do it, since it's the kind of cheap, tacky, deeply unpleasant ploy that would serve as a catalyst for the guy to find himself being ultimately manipulated during his grief, though - going on present showing. *spits*

It's already been shown that Leonard might well cheat if afforded the opportunity, but you can bet if he does, Penny will be shown to be in the wrong or to have done something worse, somehow.
The following 2 users Like SpaceAnJL's post:
  • Jislane35, Nutz
(03-11-2014, 12:47 AM)ses1515 Wrote: I'd be beyond shocked if we get a very special episode. I use to like those episodes. I doubt TPTB want to go deep. The most we will get is a Meemaw death. Even one of the couples cheating seems unlikely. While I do not support cheating in RL, Bring it on with TV shows and fanfic.

I love those episode also. If they're done well there's nothing like laughing your ass off while crying.

On HIMYM, the episodes dealing with Marshall finding out his Dad died and then then next episode where all his friends are trying to cheer him up at the funereal are the perfect example of getting the death of a beloved member of the family right in a comedy, I would be afraid to see how the BBT writers deal with death (I have a feeling it involves alcohol, bad judgement and Amy manipulating her way into Sheldon's bed)
“There are no scenes more fun to do, I feel like, than the ones between Sheldon and Penny. They are such a wonderful odd couple.” - Jim Parsons
The following 2 users Like Nutz's post:
  • Jislane35, Trust No One
(03-10-2014, 08:39 PM)LewStonewar Wrote: I Find that kinda sad too. They get an amazing actor and Penny's Dad was kinda meh. Did Keith Carrdine need the money?

Jean Smart has always been Penny's Mom in my head.

$10 says they are leading up to a "very special episode" dealing with alcoholism. Do they still do those?

I doubt it. They've never shown any real tendency to deal with actual real-life issues. Otherwise they've had ample opportunities to really confront bullying. They haven't. They've used it as comedic fodder, just as they have Penny's drinking. And they will continue to deal with it that way.
The following 1 user Likes devilbk's post:
  • Jislane35
I don't want them to kill off Sheldon's Meemaw, she's the only one who I believe truly has his back, plus I can't see everybody flying out to Texas supporting him (they are a selfish group of bastards) which leave just Sheldon and Amy going and you know what happens next in that scenario (see above). But i think the death of Howard's mom could be incredibly funny and heartbreaking.
“There are no scenes more fun to do, I feel like, than the ones between Sheldon and Penny. They are such a wonderful odd couple.” - Jim Parsons
The following 1 user Likes Nutz's post:
  • Jislane35
(03-11-2014, 02:33 AM)Dsnynutz Wrote: I don't want them to kill off Sheldon's Meemaw, she's the only one who I believe truly has his back, plus I can't see everybody flying out to Texas supporting him (they are a selfish group of bastards) which leave just Sheldon and Amy going and you know what happens next in that scenario (see above). But i think the death of Howard's mom could be incredibly funny and heartbreaking.

However, I do see them wasting a character death for ratings. It's what they're doing with Bob Newhart. There is no really good reason to kill Professor Proton, especially if they're only going to use it to move Shamy and Lenny forward. That would be sacrificing a good character (and actor) to do something they were going to do anyway.
The following 3 users Like devilbk's post:
  • Jislane35, Nutz, Trust No One
An interesting character to go for would be Leonard's father. There's a lot of unresolved stuff going on there, and it could open all sorts of things about the various father-son (and father-daughter) relationships.

But yeah, the show would waste it on inappropriate sex at the funeral home jokes, or something.
The following 2 users Like SpaceAnJL's post:
  • Jislane35, Trust No One
(03-11-2014, 02:41 AM)devilbk Wrote: However, I do see them wasting a character death for ratings. It's what they're doing with Bob Newhart. There is no really good reason to kill Professor Proton, especially if they're only going to use it to move Shamy and Lenny forward. That would be sacrificing a good character (and actor) to do something they were going to do anyway.

No show wastes their guest characters like this show. Sad

(03-11-2014, 02:24 AM)Dsnynutz Wrote: I love those episode also. If they're done well there's nothing like laughing your ass off while crying.

On HIMYM, the episodes dealing with Marshall finding out his Dad died and then then next episode where all his friends are trying to cheer him up at the funereal are the perfect example of getting the death of a beloved member of the family right in a comedy, I would be afraid to see how the BBT writers deal with death (I have a feeling it involves alcohol, bad judgement and Amy manipulating her way into Sheldon's bed)

Dummy me I never watched HIMYM. I'd hate to see the Meemaw character die but talk about a great chance for Jim to really shine. You could have Penny offering comfort and convincing Sheldon to talk to someone about Meemaw's death.

(03-11-2014, 02:50 AM)SpaceAnJL Wrote: An interesting character to go for would be Leonard's father. There's a lot of unresolved stuff going on there, and it could open all sorts of things about the various father-son (and father-daughter) relationships.

But yeah, the show would waste it on inappropriate sex at the funeral home jokes, or something.

I think TPTB will just have Leonard's dad as James Bond 2.0 to go with his Son. Morlock
The following 1 user Likes Trust No One's post:
  • Jislane35
Except you know it won't be Penny that gets to be the sensitive caring empathic one with the right word at the right time. That part will go to the Writer's Pet.

(And then there will be alcohol and probably some very bad judgement. And things that make everyone want to claw out their eyes and wash the sockets with bleach.)
The following 3 users Like SpaceAnJL's post:
  • Jislane35, Nutz, Trust No One
(03-11-2014, 03:29 AM)SpaceAnJL Wrote: Except you know it won't be Penny that gets to be the sensitive caring empathic one with the right word at the right time. That part will go to the Writer's Pet.

(And then there will be alcohol and probably some very bad judgement. And things that make everyone want to claw out their eyes and wash the sockets with bleach.)

Yea there is no way in hell Penny would get the comforting, supportive role. And if she did the backlash of Shamy to equalized that would be ginormous. Sheldon and Fowler get to 2nd base, kinda deal.

It'll be like "hey do u remember that touching episode with Penny comforting Sheldon?" "Penny who? Shamy hit second base!!!" Dodgy
The following 1 user Likes queenoftheDales's post:
  • Jislane35