Penny Blossom
(10-12-2014, 12:29 PM)Louise Wrote: Yes. I'm willing to suspend a lot of disbelief for a sitcom, but this is wildly unrealistic. One gal I knew with that job had a bachelor's in chemistry.

It might've been a step up from the CCF if she became, say, a receptionist at a salon, or maybe a salesperson at an upscale department store. At least she wouldn't have to handle food. And even then, there would be applicants with more varied retail experience. The job market is tough.

Or maybe she could go into business for herself, like with the Penny blossoms, start selling things on Etsy, something like that. Sometimes a huge success story can start with something very simple.

Jobs/money are one area where TPTB seem very out of touch: the idea that the guys make relatively little $$$, the fact that Penny can afford that apartment in the first place, etc.

Personally, I think L&S live this college-guy sort of lifestyle because they enjoy it, not because they have to. Aside from paying off student loans, which can be considerable, they prob. both have plenty of savings and investments.

You've all heard my tirade about the idea that H makes no money and lives off B, so I won't go there again....

Is this new twist really better than letting Penny succeed at acting? I dunno. Seems kind of sudden and random.

I agree, I wanted Penny to go on a hairdressing course or at least something that she came to herself. When I was researching Rep jobs to do a fanfiction, I noticed they needed a degree to be considered. It's not really her. I know there's a lot of talk elsewhere about the new haircut 'changing' her but the job is not very PENNY either.
I am glad that they have given Penny something to succeed in(assuming they will let her succeed) but yeah this was a weird one for them to choose. And I agree Nutz, the fact that Toby said that Penny wouldn't have any success as an actress because it was "unrealistic"(like that's ever stopped them) but she can just become a pharmacy rep like that. I have relatives that were reps and its not easy to get into and they do look for at least a bachelors degree.
So rather than let her have success in something she knows something about(they could even have had her get a job behind the scenes in production if acting was too "unrealistic" for them) she gets a job, through Bernadette, in a field she has no qualifications for. This is one of the biggest examples of tptb spreading their BS. (Plus I think the acting storylines would be funnier).
Oh wow, oh wow, what an adventure.
It's just a way to force the idea that Penny has been improved. Nothing happens for years and years and then out of the blue Stuart is proclaiming that Leonard and Penny are the couple of the decade. Oh don't we all dream about a love like theirs? Sarcasm Big Grin Big Grin

I bet that scene had the writers stumped. It's easy to come up with the part about Penny giving Leonard confidence, but Leonard gave Penny what? alcoholism? What they came up with was so lame. SO I think they saw it necessary to change Penny and as Space put it - prepare her for the role of wife.

The writers are far too interested in PROVING the couples should be together, than they are in making a great comedy. Penny's being a B-movie actress would have been so much funnier. Even a beauty therapist, or someone behind the scenes of a tv show but NO they had to take her identity away.
The following 1 user Likes Tuesday Pajamas's post:
  • Louise
Along with what you said, some people object to the haircut because they're jerks, but I think there are some who sincerely find it OOC and startling, when combined with all these other half-baked changes to her character, her goals, etc, like you mentioned.
The following 1 user Likes Louise's post:
  • Nutz
Re: her new job.

yes she is grossly under-qualified for it. and we all know the writers to absolutely no research.
I think that particular profession was chosen was for dramatic tension without being obvious about at first.

Pharma Reps are the new Stewardess in the sexual stereotypes.

She will be on the road a fair bit, her wardrobe will go up a couple notches, she will be socializing with Doctors and Hospital admins. tons of things for Leonard to get jealous over.

Because Leonard being jealous = good television in their tiny little heads
The following 2 users Like lewstonewar's post:
  • FlyingSolo, Toad
(10-13-2014, 08:36 PM)LewStonewar Wrote: Re: her new job.

yes she is grossly under-qualified for it. and we all know the writers to absolutely no research.
I think that particular profession was chosen was for dramatic tension without being obvious about at first.

Pharma Reps are the new Stewardess in the sexual stereotypes.

She will be on the road a fair bit, her wardrobe will go up a couple notches, she will be socializing with Doctors and Hospital admins. tons of things for Leonard to get jealous over.

Because Leonard being jealous = good television in their tiny little heads

Couldn't agree more. I don't understand how jealousy is supposed to be a positive thing. Especially when it is repetitive beyond repair. I think it shows a lack of trust that Leonard has over Penny when she interacts with other people outside their group. Perhaps that's why Penny's other circle of friends diminished over time, due to Leonard's insecurities. I was just reading a blog about jealousy and here's a quote from it that I found interesting:

"Jealousy’s force does not derive from the sharing of something special to you; rather, it comes from the feeling that you are about to lose that special thing that is being shared – that, by sharing it, you are in danger of losing it."

It's like Leonard is scared of losing her because she's hot rather than because she is someone very important to him. Yikes. Sock

Link to blog if anyone's interested: http://positivejuice.wordpress.com/2012/...-powerful/
The following 2 users Like FlyingSolo's post:
  • devilbk, queenoftheDales
(10-12-2014, 03:34 PM)Louise Wrote: Along with what you said, some people object to the haircut because they're jerks, but I think there are some who sincerely find it OOC and startling, when combined with all these other half-baked changes to her character, her goals, etc, like you mentioned.

I object to Penny's hair because they flatten it to her head every week, or pull it back with a bobby pin. I want to see it loose around her head with maybe some waves or a Penny Blossom. Which by the way it the same problem I had with her style last season since most of the time her hair was scrapped tight to her head with headbands and a in a bun.
“There are no scenes more fun to do, I feel like, than the ones between Sheldon and Penny. They are such a wonderful odd couple.” - Jim Parsons
Message sent to the forums:

"I was looking around to see if anyone else noticed that TPTB failed to take in account Penny's apparent birth date for starting kindergarten and thus she would never have had time to graduate and do comm college before living with Kurt for four years. It's driving me nuts. I strive to have realistic backstories for my characters and I look for that kind of thing. And these fools didn't even think of that. On the Penny Blossom thread someone finally pointed out that she would never be able to make a RX Rep because hello no experience and no BA! So clearly TPTB are just pulling ish out their ears."
The following 6 users Like Tuesday Pajamas's post:
  • Idle Miscreant, Nutz, Toad, FlyingSolo, devilbk, wellplayedpenny