10 Years Later: 1.9 The Cooper Hofstadter Polarization
Season 1, Episode 9 - The Cooper Hofstadter Polarization (First Aired on March 17, 2008)
[Image: big-bang-theory-season-1-9-the-cooper-ho...zation.jpg]

Leonard and Sheldon's friendship is put to the test when Leonard wants to present a paper they co-authored at a physics convention, but Sheldon doesn't.

Canon Facts:
  • Leonard received his doctorate at 24 years old, while Sheldon earned his first doctorate at 16 years old
  • Leonard confesses that his last growth spurt was in the 8th grade
  • This was the first episode written after the 2007-2008 Writers Guild of America strike. During the hiatus enforced by the strike, CBS officially renewed the series for a second season
  • Leonard has a "Battlestar Galactica"' flight suit
  • This episode was watched by 9.11 million people with a rating of 3.6 (adults 18-49)

Read Chuck E Lights wonderful recap Here

Favorite Scenes/Quotes:

Sheldon: You know, in the future, when we're disembodied brains in jars, we're going to look back on this as eight hours well wasted.
Raj: I don't want to be in a jar. I want my brain in an android body... eight feet tall and ripped.
Howard: I'm with you. I just have to make sure if I'm a synthetic human, I'd still be Jewish. I promised my mother.
Raj: I suppose you could have your android penis circumcised... but that's something your rabbi will have to discuss with the manufacturer.
Sheldon: Not to mention, you'd have to power down on Saturdays.

Blossom
Leonard: We have to do this.
Sheldon: No, we have to take in nourishment, expel waste and breathe in enough oxygen to keep our cells from dying. Everything else is purely optional.

Blossom
Leonard: What is this letter doing in the trash?
Sheldon: Well, it may be that a trashcan spontaneously formed around the letter, but Occam's Razor suggests that someone threw it away.

Blossom
Leonard: You can not blow up my head with your mind.
Sheldon: Then I'll settle for an aneurysm.

Blossom
Penny: [picking out clothes from Leonard's closet] Okay. Well, let's just see what else you have. Okay, here, take this, and this, and this, and these...
Leonard: Is this all stuff you want me to try on?
Penny: No, this is the stuff I want you to throw out. Seriously, don't even give it to charity; you won't be helping anyone.

Blossom
Penny: [as Sheldon and Leonard fight] Is this usually how these physics things go?
Howard: More often than you'd think.
“There are no scenes more fun to do, I feel like, than the ones between Sheldon and Penny. They are such a wonderful odd couple.” - Jim Parsons