10 Years Later: 1.1 The Pilot
On September 24, 2007 we were introduced to 4 Nerdmigos and a beautiful waitress with big dreams. The 10 years later threads will celebrate each episode as it hits the ten year mark. Talk about what you thought the first time you saw the episode, what your favorite scene(s) or quote(s) are and after 10 years, is it still fresh, or has it become dated as last years fruitcake.

Season 1, Episode 1 - The Pilot (first aired September 24th, 2017)
[Image: bigbangtheory-pilot_1191022216.jpg]

Summary:
A pair of socially awkward theoretical physicists meet their new neighbor Penny, who is their polar opposite.

Reviews:
The TV Critic said: "Penny is a brave new world for Sheldon and Leonard and it’s a fun start to The Big Bang Theory. The show will have to work hard to maintain the delicate balance between geek jokes and real characters. I wish them luck"

IGN said "The writing in this episode was some of the best we've seen in a standard sitcom in some time -- it's very smart. We'll be the first to admit, however, not everyone will love the show. Let's face it, not everyone wants to see a sitcom about nerds playing World of Warcraft and Klingon Boggle. That being said, the pilot was a great start for the series. If the writing remains at the level seen in the pilot, we're certain the show will continue to be worth watching"

Favorite Quotes/Moments:
Penny: So, what do you guys do around here?
Sheldon: Well, today we tried masturbating for money
Blossom
Penny: I'm a vegetarian. Well, except for fish, and the occasional steak. I love steak!
Sheldon: Well, that's interesting. Leonard can't process corn
Blossom
Leonard: We need to widen our circle.
Sheldon: I have a very wide circle. I have 212 friends on MySpace.
Leonard: Yes, and you've never met one of them.
Sheldon: That's the beauty of it

Blossom

Blossom

“There are no scenes more fun to do, I feel like, than the ones between Sheldon and Penny. They are such a wonderful odd couple.” - Jim Parsons
Canon Facts:
  • Leonard states that the combined IQ of Sheldon and himself is 360. In a later episode of season 1 Sheldon states his IQ as 187 meaning that Leonard's IQ is 173.
  • Sheldon has the first line in the series.
  • Leonard and Sheldon buy lunch from House of Tandoori, which is a real restaurant in Pasadena.
  • It is later established that Raj can't talk with Penny in the room. In this episode he speaks out loud but only when she's not near him.
  • Sheldon uses the term sex when talking to Leonard about Penny. When Howard arrives, he uses the term coitus. In later seasons, the characters would reverse these terms with Sheldon exclusively using coitus.
  • Penny says she's from Omaha, Nebraska.
  • It is established that Sheldon has a particular spot on the couch that he insists on sitting on all the time.
“There are no scenes more fun to do, I feel like, than the ones between Sheldon and Penny. They are such a wonderful odd couple.” - Jim Parsons