Sheldor the Conqueror
(09-11-2018, 01:34 AM)CTR69 Wrote: No doubt. Doesn't matter, tech heads or jocks. When pack mentality takes over, all bets are off.

It is interesting in these series(incl: Young Sheldon), they are light entertainment, but delve into different areas. C. Lorre in one of his vanity cards, agrees with you 

' I now see that human nature, particularly during times of stress, becomes tribalistic, not pluralistic. Which is neither good nor bad. It's probably just how we're wired, a survival mechanism baked into our DNA. Under pressure, the prime directive is to protect the tribe. Genetically, that makes perfect sense. Human beings without a tribe tend to starve or get eaten'.(#575)

I think Sheldon does think his intellect makes him superior, and he did bully Howard early on. I think they bully Zack, because although physical he isn't aggressive or smart enough to understand. But it was a different matter with Kurt, Sheldon decided it wasn't worth the risk.
I've always just accepted that Sheldon came from Texas, but it wasn't until YS that I started to wonder why. Is it because Texan culture is seen as 'real America'. As the culture you are born into determines many aspects of your character(beliefs, values, perceptions,etc), was Sheldon from there, because to become Sheldon he would have to question everything, he is instantly an outsider and that would lead to mocking even bullying. I think Sheldon would relish that position and the odds; Sheldon Vs Texas! 

Some remnants of Texas remained. I like it when they play with the gaming and real world contrast, and Sheldon is a virtual cowboy. 

I think it's interesting when TBBT and YS address issues like this(even Penny apologised to someone she bullied at school). From my observations on forums, it's the bullies who are fearful. It unsettles them when someone has a different view or perception because it challenges everything they have been lead to believe.
Like many people, I've been thinking that coronavirus has made whole populations start to think like Sheldon.

People are; isolating and avoiding others, spraying, sanitizing, covering their faces and acting like 'germophobes'. It's like the whole world has become aware of how viruses spread. Here's Sheldon using wipes, but he also sprayed lysol after Penny returned from visiting sick friends, he was also quarantined for two weeks in hospital with the guys wearing hazmat suits. I sort of got bored with YS, but there is an episode where Sheldon wears a face mask and believes the virus will kill people. Prescient!

It's just bizarre to see how a virus has shifted everyone into Sheldon's OCD mindset. Stay Safe.

'plague infested gibbon'.
The following 1 user Likes ricardo shillyshally's post:
  • Nutz
(11-08-2020, 06:11 AM)ricardo shillyshally Wrote: Like many people, I've been thinking that coronavirus has made whole populations start to think like Sheldon.

People are; isolating and avoiding others, spraying, sanitizing, covering their faces and acting like 'germophobes'. It's like the whole world has become aware of how viruses spread. Here's Sheldon using wipes, but he also sprayed lysol after Penny returned from visiting sick friends, he was also quarantined for two weeks in hospital with the guys wearing hazmat suits. I sort of got bored with YS, but there is an episode where Sheldon wears a face mask and believes the virus will kill people. Prescient!

It's just bizarre to see how a virus has shifted everyone into Sheldon's OCD mindset. Stay Safe.

'plague infested gibbon'.

This is an interesting post. Like many I’ve been working from home, isolating from most people since March. There’s a part of me which is finding it difficult and another which feels relief, the busy, noisy crowded world has been turned off. It’s a nice kind of lonely. But I never thought of it as being forced to be more like Sheldon. But I suppose it is... Sheldonopolis?
The following 2 users Like Tuesday Pajamas's post:
  • Nutz, ricardo shillyshally
Welcome to the world of OCD/germophobes... or Sheldonopolis(LOL). I feel like the people like myself and Sheldon have been preparing for this all our lives.

I started wearing a full mask(99.99% filter) and gloves back in March. People were giving me strange looks in Tesco, but I haven't caught it.
Also gaming has been a sanity saver(RD2 and WD Legion).

It is good to try to focus on the few positives. The world is quieter, nature is recovering and hopefully people are washing their hands.

It all seems a long way from the heady days when TBBT occupied our thoughts. The full version of that clip showed a pecking order. Penny tells Howard to move, then Sheldon takes his seat.

With hindsight, it all makes sense>