Sheldor the Conqueror
“I don't understand your fascination with this modern version of Holmes.” Sheldon grumbles. Penny grins at him.

“Let's see...tall, thin, pale, oddly sexy, madly brilliant and really bad at getting on with normal people?”

A pause.

“Oh.” Another, more thoughtful, pause. “...Penny, do you think I should get a new winter coat?”

(I'm also a hardcore Brett/ACD fan, but the new BBC version has some fun stuff in it. It is a guilty pleasure.)

Leonard is a born minion. He'd have a long way to go before he even attained sidekick status. And even then, you'd never be able to trust him.

Sheldon/JP used to use a deeper voice. He's become more querulous over time, part of the infantilising. It made his lapses into whackadoodle definitely more noticeable. He was a strange adult, not an overgrown toddler.
The following 2 users Like SpaceAnJL's post:
  • Jislane35, Wisp
It was always the Sheldon character that kept me watching the show. It was his interactions with the rest of the group that I thought was great. At first, I actually thought the show was about him.

I was amazed at the command that Jim Parsons had of the character with the mannerisms all the way down to the cadence of his speech. (I noticed a difference in the way he talks now, too, btw). There was no other complex character like Sheldon on a primetime comedy like him and Jim portrayed him flawlessly.

I continue to watch the show because with every Shenny scene that gets written in, (how ever few and far between they are now) Old Sheldon makes an appearance. I may not like the direction of the show now, but I love Jim Parsons and that's going to have to be enough for now. Blush
The following 3 users Like queenoftheDales's post:
  • FranEssi, Jislane35, Melvin
(01-27-2014, 11:51 PM)SpaceAnJL Wrote: “I don't understand your fascination with this modern version of Holmes.” Sheldon grumbles. Penny grins at him.

“Let's see...tall, thin, pale, oddly sexy, madly brilliant and really bad at getting on with normal people?”

A pause.

“Oh.” Another, more thoughtful, pause. “...Penny, do you think I should get a new winter coat?”

(I'm also a hardcore Brett/ACD fan, but the new BBC version has some fun stuff in it. It is a guilty pleasure.)

Leonard is a born minion. He'd have a long way to go before he even attained sidekick status. And even then, you'd never be able to trust him.

Sheldon/JP used to use a deeper voice. He's become more querulous over time, part of the infantilising. It made his lapses into whackadoodle definitely more noticeable. He was a strange adult, not an overgrown toddler.

You can never depend on Leonard for anything unless it involves a way to give him an advantage in something he won't even bother being loyal with you.

If Penny actually said those words then she must not have noticed the double entrede in that one sentence. I hope those two had were able to catch on to that description of him (hence the cue for the thoughtful silence and Sheldon completely changing the subject on a new winter coat LOL) BBC Sherlock had some traits that immediately reminded me of Sheldon.

Shelly is now a somewhat normal guy that uses too many glossary words in his speech while acting naive and childish one moment and completely experienced on the works of coitus and sarcasm in the next depending on the convenience of the episode (the same goes for Penny). They do it all on on purpose just to make Leinard and Amy look like the sane ones when in reality they're more messed up than everyone else in the show.
The following 2 users Like Jislane35's post:
  • Toad, queenoftheDales
(01-27-2014, 10:12 PM)SpaceAnJL Wrote: ...One of the scenes that really sold me was during 'The Nerdvana Annihilation'. Advancing on Penny, plastic sword in hand, to call her out on the 'Hello Kitty' shorts. Really, any time Sheldon has advanced, scowling, using his height and air of command. 'The Excelsior Acquisition' springs to mind, where I got a total Jimmy Stewart/Gary Cooper vibe off him, horrendous plaid suit and all. It doesn't surprise me that he got cast in the stage version of 'Harvey', he's perfect in that kind of role. I would love to see him and Penny do more in a Hawksian vein. JP and KC have proved that they can do that kind of quickfire banter on screen, it would be marvellous.

WHAT? That plaid suit is SEXY. (Well, on Sheldon.) Also scowling Sheldon is SEXY. Yet another thing he doesn't do much now. Guy's got a good stare.
HARRISON FORD IS IRRADIATING OUR TESTICLES WITH MICROWAVE SATELLITE TRANSMISSIONS

AND WHO THE FUCK STOLE MY BOILED EGGS?
The following 4 users Like Wisp's post:
  • Jislane35, FranEssi, Idle Miscreant, CassandraElise
Yeah, well, it does take a certain amount of self-confidence to carry off that kind of outfit. JP wears clothes quite well, though, in contrast to JG, who always looks rumpled, regardless. Whatever is said about clothes making the man, it can't be denied that it needs a decent foundation to build on.

Sheldon's glare on the Ken/Barbie line was superb, as was Penny's snarky little lipcurl back.
The following 1 user Likes SpaceAnJL's post:
  • Jislane35
(01-28-2014, 09:16 PM)SpaceAnJL Wrote: Yeah, well, it does take a certain amount of self-confidence to carry off that kind of outfit. JP wears clothes quite well, though, in contrast to JG, who always looks rumpled, regardless. Whatever is said about clothes making the man, it can't be denied that it needs a decent foundation to build on.

Sheldon's glare on the Ken/Barbie line was superb, as was Penny's snarky little lipcurl back.

Recently they've started putting Sheldon in a cheap-looking grey jacket... Has anyone else noticed that the clothes look weirdly cheap now on all the characters? I think it may be the lighting.
HARRISON FORD IS IRRADIATING OUR TESTICLES WITH MICROWAVE SATELLITE TRANSMISSIONS

The following 1 user Likes Wisp's post:
  • Jislane35
More likely to be the concept that 'these people can't dress themselves and have no idea of cool', executed with the usual lack of subtlety.

Sheldon's layered tee's and those two-tone sneakers of his would look perfectly unremarkable paired with jeans and a different jacket. He's far easer to make look physically normal than any of the others, character-wise. (Actor-wise, Simon and Kunal both clean up quite well.) Ergo, to make Sheldon an unappealing cartoon requires over-the-top dreadful clothing and the awful hair, which still don't quite detract from the base material.
The following 1 user Likes SpaceAnJL's post:
  • Jislane35
(01-29-2014, 04:14 PM)SpaceAnJL Wrote: More likely to be the concept that 'these people can't dress themselves and have no idea of cool', executed with the usual lack of subtlety.

Sheldon's layered tee's and those two-tone sneakers of his would look perfectly unremarkable paired with jeans and a different jacket. He's far easer to make look physically normal than any of the others, character-wise. (Actor-wise, Simon and Kunal both clean up quite well.) Ergo, to make Sheldon an unappealing cartoon requires over-the-top dreadful clothing and the awful hair, which still don't quite detract from the base material.

Sheldon has always looked cool, if you disregard the shoes Big Grin He is graceful, fluid and precise in his movement. Amy is the opposite, she's clumsy, awkward and has a completely different approach to her body. These two are not physically compatible. The body language is all wrong.
The way Sheldon moves is one of the most appealing things about him.
The following 4 users Like Tuesday Pajamas's post:
  • Jislane35, Wisp, FranEssi, Melvin
(01-29-2014, 04:44 PM)Tuesday Pajamas Wrote:
(01-29-2014, 04:14 PM)SpaceAnJL Wrote: More likely to be the concept that 'these people can't dress themselves and have no idea of cool', executed with the usual lack of subtlety.

Sheldon has always looked cool, if you disregard the shoes Big Grin He is graceful, fluid and precise in his movement. Amy is the opposite, she's clumsy, awkward and has a completely different approach to her body. These two are not physically compatible. The body language is all wrong.
The way Sheldon moves is one of the most appealing things about him.

Mayim's hammy portrayal of Amy seems to have thrown Jim off... I think subconsciously he's mirroring her awkwardness. Notice how Sheldon seemed slightly more himself in the treasure hunt episode with Penny? People on L'Orange like to say that Sheldon is "awkward", but I had always considered him the most elegant and self-assured. The facial tics and nuances HAVE TO BE THERE because they're part of the character. No matter what people say, it IS about appearance too. It's clear they're desperately trying to make Sheldon "adorkable" (ack!) in an attempt to... atone.... for whatever character-offenses they've got into their heads they've supposedly caused.

The show is no longer a creator's vision, it is a money-maker and a "Hit Show" (The worst kind) with no interest in genuine, precise acting.

The following 4 users Like Wisp's post:
  • Jislane35, FranEssi, CassandraElise, Melvin
JP is a fantastic physical performer. He's definitely one of the throwbacks to the heyday of Hollywood. Every so often, we've had glimpses of something far more nuanced than the scripts. I really want to ding him upside the ear and tell him that he's better than the cartoon garbage he's being given, and to stop pandering to it. But it gives him the paycheck that allows him to take meaty stage roles, so I suppose he doesn't care.

Even if Penny and Sheldon never did anything more than bicker their way round a grocery store, they have/had a chemistry. They are the two tallest members of the cast, for a start (and both, incidentally, good tennis players) and I think they match and mirror each other well. With the rest of the cast, they both have to hunch and diminish themselves, physically as well as mentally, to fit into the frame. JP plays, or used to play, Sheldon, as someone who was not precisely uncomfortable with his body, but regarded it as largely irrelevant except as a vehicle for his brain, with just the slight edge of that gangly awkwardness left over from being the tall, skinny kid who towered over his age mates and had to watch his knees and elbows constantly. (Again, that slight Cooper/Stewart vibe)
The following 10 users Like SpaceAnJL's post:
  • Wisp, Jislane35, Idle Miscreant, FranEssi, Tuesday Pajamas, Gamma, FlyingMonkey, CassandraElise, Nutz, Melvin