10 Years Later: 1.5 - The Hamburger Postulate
Season 1, Episode 5 - The Hamburger Postulate (First Aired on October 22, 2007)
[Image: ce80f4157c6fe051927630acd8a5f1e2.jpg]
Leonard, realizing his pursuit of Penny is fruitless, has an unexpected encounter with a fellow scientist (Sara Gilbert).
Canon Facts:
  • It is revealed that Sheldon went to college at the age of 11
  • First time we see Penny serving the guys at The Cheesecake Factory

I liked this episode. The opening scene was pure geek fun, the scenes between Leonard and Leslie were very funny and the Shenny scene was delightful (and a little uncomfortable). Leonard seems to be more likable when he has a firm dominate female to take him in hand and I was hoping they would allow him to "move on" from his stalking behavior with Penny.

My Favorite Quotes/Moments
Opening scene

Blossom
Penny: (To Sheldon) Sweetie, I know you think you're explaining yourself, but you're really not.
Blossom
Sheldon: Who do I talk to about reserving this table every Thursday?
Penny: I don't know. A Psychiatrist?
Blossom
Leonard: Well, what did she mean by that? Or was that just a generic platitude or was that a subtle bid for attention?
Sheldon: You know why this hamburger surpasses the Big Boy? This is a single-decker hamburger whereas the Big Boy is a double-decker. This has a much more satisfying meat to bun to condiment ratio.
Leonard: Are you even listening to me?
Sheldon: Of course I'm listening. "Blah blah, hopeless Penny delusion, blah blah."
Blossom
Sheldon: [learning Leonard has a girl over] This is very awkward.
Penny: Oh, come on. You know, Leonard's had girls over before, right?
Sheldon: Oh, yes. But there's usually planning, courtship, advance notice. You know, last time I was able to book a cruise to the Arctic to see a solar eclipse.
Penny: Wait, wait. You had to leave the state because your roommate was having sex?
Sheldon: I didn't *have* to, the dates just happened to coincide.
“There are no scenes more fun to do, I feel like, than the ones between Sheldon and Penny. They are such a wonderful odd couple.” - Jim Parsons
(10-24-2017, 06:17 AM)Nutz Wrote: Sheldon: Oh, yes. But there's usually planning, courtship, advance notice. You know, last time I was able to book a cruise to the Arctic to see a solar eclipse.

Penny: Wait, wait. You had to leave the state because your roommate was having sex?

Sheldon: I didn't *have* to, the dates just happened to coincide.

Just another reminder that Sheldon used to be a man, capable of doing interesting things on his own.  cry
I've heard it both ways.
The following 1 user Likes Jela's post:
  • Nutz
When Leonard asks Leslie out they use an experimental model to do it. It's a much more interesting Leonard than the whiny, no confidence version, which they pair with Penny. This is a Leonard who is smart and more attractive. Makes me realise how much they have changed his character for the worst.

I never thought Leslie was the one for Leonard but I think he could have been paired with a quirkier type of female than Penny, it was never the right match and it would have given him a better story arc. Lenny has sucked for both characters.

Lots of great quotes and scenes in this episode. The contrast between Sheldon and Leonard comes out so great:

Sheldon: You’re a lucky man, Leonard.
Leonard: How so?
Sheldon: You’re talking to one of the three men in the Western hemisphere capable of following that train of thought.
Leonard: Well, what do you think?
Sheldon: I said I could follow it, I didn’t say I care.

This genius right here encompasses the whole Sheldon's character in two sentences. Brilliant, narcissists, emotionless. In a way, it also encompasses Leonard, obsessing and over-analyzing every word Penny says and how she says it. They're on a completely different levels of thought in this ep:

Leonard:What did she mean by that?! Was that just a generic platitude, or was that a subtle bid for attention?
Sheldon: You know why this hamburger surpasses the Big Boy? This is a single-decker hamburger whereas the Big Boy is a double-decker. This has a much more satisfying meat to bun to condiment ratio. 
Leonard: Are you even listening to me?
Sheldon: Of course I'm listening. "Blah blah, hopeless Penny delusion, blah blah." Big Grin

Sheldon couldn't care less about Leonard and Penny's words and their body language, spends his time thinking about the tasty burger and future visits. Classic INTJ type moment.
The following 2 users Like CTR69's post:
  • Nutz, Tuesday Pajamas
"Blah blah, hopeless Penny delusion, blah blah." Love it Big Grin

In these first few episodes Sheldon was aware of what was going on around him, he simply didn’t care. He wasn’t a stupid five year old, like he is today. He was indifferent and very cool. Cool Whenever I read all those articles saying Sheldon has ‘grown’ I roll my eyes. How can it not be obvious to EVERYONE that he’s not grown, he’s regressed. We are surrounded by idiots in this fanbase. Big Grin
The following 1 user Likes Tuesday Pajamas's post:
  • CTR69