Young Sheldon Eps 1-4
(11-23-2018, 12:11 AM)ricardo shillyshally Wrote: I'm making some tenuous links here, But Sheldon usually has a calm exterior, controlled. Until he's reminded of his childhood and then the hidden emotions surface.

OMG the scene is so perfect. This is the Young Sheldon I would have liked to see. I'm sure it would never make shed loads of money like the happy family one they created, but this is the REAL Sheldon's upbringing. Troubled.
For some reason I thought ep 6 was the last in season 2, mainly because it seemed it wasn't really about Sheldon, but Church, and teachers who teach because they weren't successes in their field.

I had an idea a long time ago that satirising; America, the church, education establishments or the family was a sort of heresy. I think if CL did it overtly he'd never get his projects on tv.

But many of these eps, under the light comedy premise; examine family relations. How families portray themselves as happy,(church going, but it seems only Mary believes), but the realty is very different and often leads to children becoming troubled adults.
(11-23-2018, 02:55 AM)ricardo shillyshally Wrote: For some reason I thought ep 6 was the last in season 2, mainly because it seemed it wasn't really about Sheldon, but Church, and teachers who teach because they weren't successes in their field.

I had an idea a long time ago that satirising; America, the church, education establishments or the family was a sort of heresy. I think if CL did it overtly he'd never get his projects on tv.

But many of these eps, under the light comedy premise; examine family relations. How families portray themselves as happy,(church going, but it seems only Mary believes), but the realty is very different and often leads to children becoming troubled adults.

And its so common. Prady and Lorre went the safe route and created a middle class family for Young Sheldon. But these moments are so funny, sad, tragic and more interesting to me. They could even make it funny, if the characters were likeable enough. As a result, I've just never watched Young Sheldon.
It does suffer from usual prequel problems. Sometimes it's like an ABC book on how to create a Sheldon. So you can almost play a game while watching, relating which 'anxiety', or ideas will become part of TBBT Sheldon.

Ep8 Sheldon discovers gaming. Ep9 Sheldon uses psychology to observe his parents. M & D as he calls them, both want different objectives. Each try to manipulate other family members, but D(George) gives up(the Mary/Meemaw combo proving significant).

It's strange that both Sheldon's family and Paige's family think that having an intelligent child is the most difficult problem, leading the latter towards divorce.  Families are complicated!

I like the way that Paige makes Sheldon feel less intelligent, and it's meemaw who gets Sheldon into gaming. 

He refuses to play at first, saying something like 'it's childish and a waste of time'. Soon he's off school playing and meemaw is addicted. Both these ideas seem like clever reversals(young blonde girl make Sheldon feel less intelligent and Sheldon saying what older generation usually say about gaming).
I'm still enjoying this, it's just the sort of light fun needed sometimes. S2ep11 Georgie and Sheldon get black eyes. Sheldon after he tries behaviour modification on Missy.
S2ep12 It's an anomaly, they gave George a heart attack to set up Sheldon's fear of hospitals, but in this ep Sheldon is in hospital and also has this bizarre dream about Moby Dick(surreal).
I have a love/hate relationship with the show. I watch it and for the most part enjoy it (I love Meemaw and Sheldon scenes) but it also makes me sad when they recon something. Although, in a way it's kind of funny to think if you watched this show first and then started watching BBT, I would assume that Sheldon and Penny would end up together since Penny was basically a younger Meemaw in seasons 1-3. How could he not be drawn to her?
“There are no scenes more fun to do, I feel like, than the ones between Sheldon and Penny. They are such a wonderful odd couple.” - Jim Parsons
Yes it's a strange one. I enjoy it, like a light pick me up. It's never going to be anywhere near as funny or clever as TBBT(which I haven't watched in quite a while after repeatedly watching those early seasons, so maybe that helps). It probably sounds wrong, but I think his relationship with his sister is a sort of template for his future relationship with Penny.

But his Meemaw is good in this, in the way that grandparents can be a bit wilder and free, not having to act responsible like parents. I just watched the one where Sheldon gets labelled a communist, over a loaf of bread.

Here's the clip where YS predicts covid, 'we're all going to die'(we aren't!).

I'm enjoying watching some old favourite films lately. It's sort of comforting. I think I might start watching early TBBT again.
I do enjoy Family Guy and it's obvious Seth MacFarlane is a fan of YS. I love this sort of cross referencing.