Young Sheldon Eps 1-4
I really enjoy the lightness of it, with hints to more in depth issues. I'm glad the second season is here, I was just starting to ration myself.

Someone mentioned it was like The Wonder Years, which I checked out, and maybe that show is a favourite of Lorre, Molaro,etc. I like the way modern comedies reference a sort of cultural flow.

I like the way YS depicts the family. A group of quite different people who obviously love each other despite their differences. Meewaw comes across as a mischievous character, who seems to side with who ever, just for the sake of her own entertainment. Of course older Sheldon's recollections would be biased(or not complete). I'm slightly amazed that Sheldon was popular enough(generally) as a character to prompt this prequel. So in another perspective, maybe YS is the true story of Sheldon's early life. I think his father does the best he can, considering he's a football coach, who rode a Harley. But Mary dominates the family, backed up by god.

That ep 1.15 you mention slightly bugs me. Sheldon is 'babied' by Mary. Which bring him benefits, but also concerns him. I thought Libby was introduced to examine race issue(George and Georgie's conversation, when George is spying on Libby and Sheldon). What bugged me was that Libby was just trying to prove she was responsible, and the words 'baby sit', was unfortunate and ruined the friendship.

We do seem to over analyse these shows(and I'm just as bad!). When I watch them I just enjoy them for what they are, but my mind starts clicking afterwards. They must be having lots of fun making them. It's like a comedy factory down there(and a new role for Jim as coach and producer). I wonder how far they will take young Sheldon, maybe all the way until he leaves for Pasadena, and joins his new family where Penny becomes the female in his life. Actually I preferred Penny's 'soft kitty', to Mary's in YS.
I just accept that Iain Armitage is young Sheldon now. It's wild, I watch a Killing Eve ep, then a YS ep. The contrast makes me laugh at YS even more. Watched the dog one yesterday. I've never got dogs either, too stupid, too many teeth.

I realise that Sheldon is pushing the boundaries(the cliches and stereotypes), of what it is to be a man. Whereas Jodie Comer(who is brilliant) is doing the same for women.
'4. In last nights episode 2.1 "A High-Pitched Buzz and Training Wheels" Sheldon dismantles the refrigerator to stop an annoying hum, but apparently his eidetic memory doesn't work to put it back together. Which then set up another "touching moment and learning moment with his father.'(Nutz)

Okay I'm finally catching up. I think you're being to hard on George. While most boys love their mothers, they do look up to their fathers. So if we suspend our retro disbelief, then George is a great father. He drove Sheldon for hours to see a NASA launch, he gave up his garage for trains. Yes in that ep 2.1, they didn't have time to let Sheldon reconstruct the fridge(I know I often take things to pieces, it takes me minutes, but putting it back together is not as easy as you think it might be. I have an image focused memory).

It was really a plot ploy which leads to Sheldon learning some important life lessons about; the value of money, and the reality of work. Also not to take out your frustrations on those closest to you. I have that super hearing thing, Sheldon makes me feel half human for once.

It's an interesting insight into a version of America(Texas). Why are most of the men so tubby?  About religion. Mary seems alone in really believing within the family, and that and her over protectiveness actually cause more problems for Sheldon's development.

CL seems unsettled by recent events in America, and is using this show cathartically, in an escapist sort of way.
I fell head over heels for vintage Sheldon so if I believe that Young Sheldon is the real “truth” then the Sheldon that I fell in love with is a complete fraud. Eidetic memory...lie. Not understanding social situations...lie. His father being a lazy, womanizing alcoholic...lie. Not being able to lie worth a damn... lie.

I guess my biggest problem is I’m a continuity stickler (which is probably the reason I bail out of a lot of shows by the 4th or 5th season).
“There are no scenes more fun to do, I feel like, than the ones between Sheldon and Penny. They are such a wonderful odd couple.” - Jim Parsons
The following 1 user Likes Nutz's post:
  • Tuesday Pajamas
Yes I suppose it's a personal thing. It's strange I don't remember all that about George. I watched those early seasons obsessively, but I tend just to remember the positive. I think the last three eps of season 1 dropped off in terms of quality. All that Sheldon interfering in his meemaw's relationships and this John character.

You probably know more than me about this, I don't look much beyond the shows and vanity cards, but who created Sheldon(I may have forgotten that too). If you think about real life though, one person will have a subjective partial memory of someone, while the objective view may be very different. 

I can be pedantic, sometimes I check things like, was Predator a thing, after Sheldon references it.  In the vanity cards Molaro apologises about the inconsistent use of Ramones' songs. He says something like it just worked. I suppose there is such a thing as prosaic licence.

It's interesting that in ep 2, Sheldon meets Paige, who is smarter. On a tech site recently I was surprised by the misogyny, and also after Prof Alessandro Strumia's comments at CERN.
(10-03-2018, 02:16 PM)Nutz Wrote: I fell head over heels for vintage Sheldon so if I believe that Young Sheldon is the real “truth” then the Sheldon that I fell in love with is a complete fraud. Eidetic memory...lie. Not understanding social situations...lie. His father being a lazy, womanizing alcoholic...lie. Not being able to lie worth a damn... lie.

I guess my biggest problem is I’m a continuity stickler (which is probably the reason I bail out of a lot of shows by the 4th or 5th season).

This is a big case of RETCONS. TPTB don't care about continuity or characterization. They only care about a few things. Lenny, Shamy, sex, and marriage*. "Happy" marriage(s) at that(Which also means "Happy" families). It's pretty clear really, considering Howard's married Bernadette, Lenny is a thing, Shamy is (sadly) a thing, and Raj is well on his way to getting married even after several seasons of vehemently rejecting even the IDEA of his parents meddling in his love life(Quite the turn around now). And then you have Leonard, Howard, and Raj's constant chasing after girls for sex in the early seasons, and later Amy's forcible insistence on Sheldon giving her sex and then Sheldon suddenly liking it. God knows the final episode will be showing all of them "happily" married and with a "happy" family each/of their own.

Anyways, they've clearly realized that Sheldon's account of his past in TBBT contradicts their goals of promoting "happy" marriages and "happy" families. Also, taken a certain way, YS would be something of a little shit/big pain in the ass due to his eidetic memory, superior learning compared to his family and fellow classmates, his mysophobia, etc... which TPTB wouldn't like as it doesn't promote the 'happy family' agenda. So RETCON LAND, HERE WE COME!

*Lenny and Shamy, because they seem to view those fucked up relationships as ones everyone should aspire to have. Sex, because if you don't have sex you're a worthless vigin, a loser, etc... and it's the key to happiness(Or at least for Leonard). And marriage, because if you don't get married by the time you're 30 or so and aren't popping out kids, you fail as an adult or something.
Things I've learnt from Young Sheldon> 1.There is an octopus jesus(alien).
                                                         2.I knew the film, How to Lose Friends and Alienate People, but I actually didn't know they were referencing the 1936 book by Dale Carnegie.
                                                         3.From that ep where Sheldon overcomes his fear of solid food(sausages), by sheer will power. I recently applied that to going to the dentist.
                                                           Thanks YS. I now enjoy going to the dentist, well as much as you can!

I'm still loving it! It like the best art objects are those that are simplified down to their essence. Season 2 Ep5> this simple juxtaposition between the logical intelligence of Sheldon, and the emotional intelligence of Missy, shows just how perceptive and 'insightful' she is. She even manages to extend this to the scientists carrying out the test. Simple yet brilliant.
I watched the last ep.

I get the impression Chuck Lorre and his team could produce fun, light, multi referencing comedies for ever, with under currents to more deeper subjects. But from what I gather he really would like something more challenging. His deeper subjects like religious institutions feature in the last ep, but it's obvious(vanity cards) he also has a lot to say about government and politics. He's like a massive mind trapped in a light comedy cage.
The following 1 user Likes ricardo shillyshally's post:
  • Tuesday Pajamas
I'm making some tenuous links here, But Sheldon usually has a calm exterior, controlled. Until he's reminded of his childhood and then the hidden emotions surface.