Season 10 finale speculation
For a show that owed its original popularity to the first three seasons, they've shown a remarkable propensity towards jettisoning everything that made it unique. Particularly their main comedy duo.
Sheldon and Penny's interactions dominated the vintage years of the show...they are the first scenes the average punter thinks of when contemplating TBBT. Soft Kitty, "Penny, Penny, Penny", the Nimoy napkin, Sheldon and Penny in the emergency room etc. The endless bafflement, snark and challenge that flowed throughout their daily encounters.

They've had one scene together this year. Possibly two. I haven't been watching. It's too fucking painful.

"The Big Bang Theory has settled into a show about three different couples' relationships and seventh wheel Raj."

Note that. Not a show about friendship, or science, or extraordinary individuals. That might still be there, in dribs and drabs, but as soon as there's a couples scene (which is essentially all scenes now - and that is the problem) any vestiges of character interest get sucked into the deadening beige vortex of "relationship humour".

Which is identical regardless of what profession you give your characters. There's nothing unique about Leonard and Penny's dreary "he wore me down" marriage, Bernadette and Howard's infantile husband/shrew wife trope, or Amy and Sheldon's unhappy/oblivious depressing shtick.

Artistically, individuals are interesting, couples rarely are, unless they're opposite extremes. And no, Leonard is not an extreme anything. As a "husband" he's morphed into a dull, complacent, lounge-potato of a character. Penny seems bored out of her once imaginative mind. Wolowitz is excellent on his own, but slips into the henpecked cliche when coupled. Amy could be interesting on her own, but is an unpleasantly clingy, manipulative and spineless wet blanket with Sheldon, whose character her introduction to the show utterly drained the life and intellect out of. 

And let's not even fucking BEGIN on the atrocious vandalism of Sheldon!

(Yes I know I already began)

Just...could you split half the bloody couples up and give us a bit more situation in this comedy? Single character based episodes? Group based episodes (that don't end up with couples squabbling with each other, or making up with each, or...), or god forbid, some old-school Sheldon and Penny episodes? What about more surrealism? Dream episodes, alternate universes? You know, because it's a bloody show ostensibly about sci-fi and fantasy obsessed scientists? Wouldn't that make sense?

And fix Sheldon, he's BROKEN. Bring back intellectual Spock Sheldon, blast you.
"WHERE THE HELL'S MY PARACHUTE?"
The following 10 users Like Idle Miscreant's post:
  • Shellsyke, Jela, CTR69, Tuesday Pajamas, Nutz, Toad, Gamma, FlyingMonkey, chaotic temptation, CassandraElise

Messages In This Thread
Season 10 finale speculation - by Tuesday Pajamas - 04-20-2017, 05:24 PM
RE: Season 10 finale speculation - by Nutz - 04-21-2017, 12:33 AM
RE: Season 10 finale speculation - by Ratman77 - 04-25-2017, 06:49 AM
RE: Season 10 finale speculation - by Idle Miscreant - 04-25-2017, 10:47 AM