0 0%
3 Dirty sock
0%
0 0%
Total 12 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

7.14 The Convention Conundrum
(01-21-2014, 11:25 PM)CassandraElise Wrote:
(01-21-2014, 09:01 AM)taffinabean Wrote: At least no ships!! The only thing (yes I'm a Debbie Downer) is how they have the obligatory geek chic episode a season yet make it kind of depressing. Last season it just made them look stupid and humiliated breaking down and not making it to Bakersfield, now they're locked out of Comic Con.

Knowing our luck, the writers will make James Earl Jones say to Sheldon, "What are you doing chasing after me, young man? You should be at home with that nice girlfriend of yours sucking face." Dodgy

(Sorry, I'm a bit paranoid, given certain spoilers).

What do you bet they throw in some shenny scenes just to soften the blow.

I know Gripe liked Bakersfield but I hated it. As a science fiction fan and a member of a sci-fi group, I didn't like the way they humiliated them with the cosplay and Sheldon of all people, suddenly felt the pressure to conform because of what outsiders thought of him. It was horrifying. I hope this is not more of the same. More of the nerds-must-change message.
The following 4 users Like Tuesday Pajamas's post:
  • Jislane35, wellplayedpenny, Gamma, Berliner
(01-21-2014, 11:39 PM)Tuesday Pajamas Wrote:
(01-21-2014, 09:01 AM)taffinabean Wrote: At least no ships!! The only thing (yes I'm a Debbie Downer) is how they have the obligatory geek chic episode a season yet make it kind of depressing. Last season it just made them look stupid and humiliated breaking down and not making it to Bakersfield, now they're locked out of Comic Con.

I know Gripe liked Bakersfield but I hated it. As a science fiction fan and a member of a sci-fi group, I didn't like the way they humiliated them with the cosplay and Sheldon of all people, suddenly felt the pressure to conform because of what outsiders thought of him. It was horrifying. I hope this is not more of the same. More of the nerds-must-change message.

I thought Bakersfield was appalling. As a convention goer/gamer/comic book collector, etcetera I was absolutely sick at the way the guys were suddenly embarrassed of their costumes and by extension their 'geek ways'. Who cares that people were staring at them! I mean I won't even get into the time we were stopped at the US border all decked in studded and spiked leather armor (especially since my partner said I was a little too uppity asking for a cavity search to be thorough since they were already tossing our car). Angel

I found the episode to be a smack in the face, another Bart Simpson 'Where's Waldo' moment where those that be aren't even trying to conceal their true feelings about 'geek stuff'. 'Maturing/growing up', whatever you want to call it when you decide you want to nest and mate doesn't mean the end of geekness. I haven't changed. My friends haven't changed and they have kiddies and mortgages, etc. There's a real misconception about what it's like to be childlike versus childish that's frustrating. ...Forgive my little rant.
The following 2 users Like wellplayedpenny's post:
  • Gamma, Jislane35
(01-22-2014, 01:14 AM)wellplayedpenny Wrote: I thought Bakersfield was appalling. As a convention goer/gamer/comic book collector, etcetera I was absolutely sick at the way the guys were suddenly embarrassed of their costumes and by extension their 'geek ways'. Who cares that people were staring at them! I mean I won't even get into the time we were stopped at the US border all decked in studded and spiked leather armor (especially since my partner said I was a little too uppity asking for a cavity search to be thorough since they were already tossing our car). Angel

I found the episode to be a smack in the face, another Bart Simpson 'Where's Waldo' moment where those that be aren't even trying to conceal their true feelings about 'geek stuff'. 'Maturing/growing up', whatever you want to call it when you decide you want to nest and mate doesn't mean the end of geekness. I haven't changed. My friends haven't changed and they have kiddies and mortgages, etc. There's a real misconception about what it's like to be childlike versus childish that's frustrating. ...Forgive my little rant.

It was a low point for me as well. We all know what people who don't have nerdy pursuits think of us. And here was Sheldon, the true king of nerds, denouncing his crown because a few normals were teasing them. It made me depressed about the show and I seriously considered packing it in. Yet there was so little reaction on the other site and the ratings were high so I just decided never to watch that episode again.
The following 2 users Like Tuesday Pajamas's post:
  • Jislane35, wellplayedpenny
(01-22-2014, 02:40 AM)Tuesday Pajamas Wrote:
(01-22-2014, 01:14 AM)wellplayedpenny Wrote: I thought Bakersfield was appalling. As a convention goer/gamer/comic book collector, etcetera I was absolutely sick at the way the guys were suddenly embarrassed of their costumes and by extension their 'geek ways'. Who cares that people were staring at them! I mean I won't even get into the time we were stopped at the US border all decked in studded and spiked leather armor (especially since my partner said I was a little too uppity asking for a cavity search to be thorough since they were already tossing our car). Angel

It was a low point for me as well. We all know what people who don't have nerdy pursuits think of us. And here was Sheldon, the true king of nerds, denouncing his crown because a few normals were teasing them. It made me depressed about the show and I seriously considered packing it in. Yet there was so little reaction on the other site and the ratings were high so I just decided never to watch that episode again.

Ditto. The look on Sheldon's face just broke my heart and I don't with to ever experience that again. ... I think the lack of reaction goes to show to what extent all the nuances of the show we like ('geekiness'/science) are largely ignored by those on the other side of the wall. To ignore these details is to ignore essential Sheldon so it makes a lot of sense that they don't seem to mind/notice his appalling descent.
Let's go exploring!
The following 2 users Like wellplayedpenny's post:
  • Jislane35, Wisp
(01-22-2014, 07:29 AM)wellplayedpenny Wrote: Ditto. The look on Sheldon's face just broke my heart and I don't with to ever experience that again. ... I think the lack of reaction goes to show to what extent all the nuances of the show we like ('geekiness'/science) are largely ignored by those on the other side of the wall. To ignore these details is to ignore essential Sheldon so it makes a lot of sense that they don't seem to mind/notice his appalling descent.

I think people liked it because it's seen through the eyes of the normal fans looking in at the nerds. They enjoying having the uber-nerds acknowledge the outside world for once. Their world! but the beauty of TBBT is that the nerds always saw what they were doing as normal and lived in a bubble of their own making. To me, that episode ruined the illusion.
The following 3 users Like Tuesday Pajamas's post:
  • Jislane35, Wisp, wellplayedpenny
Oi Pajamas, to clarify, Gripe "likes" episodes for reasons other than humorous enjoyment. Because they're unusual, or multilayered or a bit dark, perhaps. The Discovery Dissipation turned my stomach, but I still found it rather fascinating. Ditto The Electric Can Opener, the most painful episode of all, in my opinion. In the instance of Bakersfield, however, I merely appreciated not being smothered by the musty blanket of sanctified romance for a change, which S6 was quite heavy with. I also thought Sheldon made a spiffing Data, and hacking into Leonard's GPS was a stroke of villainous genius. The diner scene, however, ENRAGED me. For all the reasons mentioned above. Sheldon is meant to be PROUD of who he is for fucksake, and unswerving in his devotion to his various passions. It's what makes him stand out from the rest. The writers evidently just felt like knocking him down a peg, to make him "human". I tell you, humanity is a hell of a lot more things than being mocked and broken.

I'm sorry, I'm meant to be writing my bloody book aren't I....DAMN these forums!
As you were, as you were...
"WHERE THE HELL'S MY PARACHUTE?"
The following 4 users Like Idle Miscreant's post:
  • Jislane35, Gamma, Wisp, Berliner

Knowing our luck, the writers will make James Earl Jones say to Sheldon, "What are you doing chasing after me, young man? You should be at home with that nice girlfriend of yours sucking face." Dodgy

lol
The following 1 user Likes taffinabean's post:
  • Jislane35
I have high hopes for this episode when we consider *spoiler ahead* the horrendous drivel to come. I hope this one is good enough to make up for what what are about to endure.
(01-22-2014, 05:48 PM)Moonbase Wrote: I have high hopes for this episode when we consider *spoiler ahead* the horrendous drivel to come. I hope this one is good enough to make up for what what are about to endure.

What's wrong with nine-fingered banjo playing? Dear god that sounds like a euphemism...
"WHERE THE HELL'S MY PARACHUTE?"
(01-21-2014, 11:39 PM)Tuesday Pajamas Wrote:

The only thing I liked about Bakersfield was how elegant Sheldon looked as Data. The episode itself was fucking depressing... SHELDON CARING WHAT PEOPLE THINK? Another shark-jump moment right there. Ludicrous.

(01-22-2014, 08:17 AM)Major Gripe Wrote: Oi Pajamas, to clarify, Gripe "likes" episodes for reasons other than humorous enjoyment. Because they're unusual, or multilayered or a bit dark, perhaps. The Discovery Dissipation turned my stomach, but I still found it rather fascinating. Ditto The Electric Can Opener, the most painful episode of all, in my opinion. In the instance of Bakersfield, however, I merely appreciated not being smothered by the musty blanket of sanctified romance for a change, which S6 was quite heavy with. I also thought Sheldon made a spiffing Data, and hacking into Leonard's GPS was a stroke of villainous genius. The diner scene, however, ENRAGED me. For all the reasons mentioned above. Sheldon is meant to be PROUD of who he is for fucksake, and unswerving in his devotion to his various passions. It's what makes him stand out from the rest. The writers evidently just felt like knocking him down a peg, to make him "human". I tell you, humanity is a hell of a lot more things than being mocked and broken. I'm sorry, I'm meant to be writing my bloody book aren't I....DAMN these forums!
As you were, as you were...

I cannot put into words how pissed off I was that GPS Sheldon was classic Homo Novus, for that brief few seconds. Which shows that Jim can still play Sheldon like that. WHY ISN'T HE.

Oh yeah... he needs to be more human, apparently.

I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE WHY ARE THEY TORTURUNG ME AND MY EXTREMELY SPECIFIC SHELDON STANDARDS
HARRISON FORD IS IRRADIATING OUR TESTICLES WITH MICROWAVE SATELLITE TRANSMISSIONS

AND WHO THE FUCK STOLE MY BOILED EGGS?
The following 1 user Likes Wisp's post:
  • Idle Miscreant