Addendum to Philosophical Shenny
(01-01-2014, 11:12 AM)Martha Wrote: The show was about the exceptional and now to make the viewership happy has sunk into the quotidien so drearily mundane that Sheldon is now the clueless hen-pecked boob and Penny the dim bimbo. I'm sure at the end of the series they each will buy a nice little house near the good schools and drive off into the sunset in their minivans. Even Amy was funny in the beginning, abrasive, self-absorbed, brilliant but we can't have that. I remember with glee Jim, Mayim and Kaley's delicious dinner scene where they discuss the number of Penny's sexual partners..more or less.

As funny as that scene was I can't help but think that Penny would have gone Jr. Rodeo on his ass, at least would have done something to get back at him.
“There are no scenes more fun to do, I feel like, than the ones between Sheldon and Penny. They are such a wonderful odd couple.” - Jim Parsons
The following 1 user Likes Nutz's post:
  • Jislane35
(01-01-2014, 11:12 AM)Martha Wrote: The show was about the exceptional and now to make the viewership happy has sunk into the quotidien so drearily mundane that Sheldon is now the clueless hen-pecked boob and Penny the dim bimbo. I'm sure at the end of the series they each will buy a nice little house near the good schools and drive off into the sunset in their minivans. Even Amy was funny in the beginning, abrasive, self-absorbed, brilliant but we can't have that. I remember with glee Jim, Mayim and Kaley's delicious dinner scene where they discuss the number of Penny's sexual partners..more or less.
I rewatched this the other day. It's funny to watch Penny go from trying to make S and A make small talk, to squirming in her chair(and needing a drink!), when Sheldon turns the question on her. He used his maths skills to determine she'd dated 193 men(+ or - 8). I'm not sure how many available men there are in Pasadena, but she's probably drained the pool!
The following 1 user Likes ricardo shillyshally's post:
  • Jislane35
(02-15-2014, 12:16 AM)pilot fish Wrote: I rewatched this the other day. It's funny to watch Penny go from trying to make S and A make small talk, to squirming in her chair(and needing a drink!), when Sheldon turns the question on her. He used his maths skills to determine she'd dated 193 men(+ or - 8). I'm not sure how many available men there are in Pasadena, but she's probably drained the pool!

I personally think his calculations were wrong and sounded extremely over exaggerated also why would he pay so much attention on her dating life anyway? There's no way he could've known anything about her exes from Nebraska plus she was with Kurt for four years as well as being with Leonard. And I believe he said it was 36 or 42 men instead of it being in the one hundreds.
There's another serious 'tell, not show' with Penny's dating life. To begin with, she was just a pretty, bubbly girl who had just left a rather thuggish looking ex for cheating on her - and given her age, if she'd been with Kurt for four years, half the later 'wild teens' doesn't make sense. Sheldon might go on about 'man after man' passing through her apartment, but we've seen maybe three, not counting Leonard. (Guy she was dating when Missy visited, cheating asshat professor, Zach) Add in six months relationship-free leading up to gaming addiction - continuity is not the show's strong point, but the actual timelines squirrel about worse than Doctor Who. Or JKR's grasp of maths.

(Similarly, how the hell does Sheldon's father die when he's fourteen, when we've already heard that he was alive when Sheldon went to Germany at fifteen plus? Or Bob become Wyatt? Does Pasadena freeze at midnight and everybody's brain reset?)
The following 2 users Like SpaceAnJL's post:
  • Jislane35, queenoftheDales
The person dealing with BBT archives and continuity should be fired! There should be a book for the writers to look at that has everything ever mentioned. Need to know Penny's dad name that would be season-, episode- with the name chosen (and why)
“There are no scenes more fun to do, I feel like, than the ones between Sheldon and Penny. They are such a wonderful odd couple.” - Jim Parsons
The following 1 user Likes Nutz's post:
  • Jislane35
(02-15-2014, 12:28 AM)Jislane35 Wrote: I personally think his calculations were wrong and sounded extremely over exaggerated also why would he pay so much attention on her dating life anyway? There's no way he could've known anything about her exes from Nebraska plus she was with Kurt for four years as well as being with Leonard. And I believe he said it was 36 or 42 men instead of it being in the one hundreds.

That's right, he calculated that she'd had sex with 31 men, but by observation, and projecting backwards, calculated that she'd dated about 200. I think the fact that she suddenly became very uncomfortable(although WHY in this modern age, I don't know!), and started drinking, maybe indicates Sheldon's maths was correct. I think Sheldon was watching(not like Raj with binoculars), because he's always had a bit of a crush on Penny. She's one of the few people who are actually kind to him(when needy Leonard isn't around).
The following 2 users Like ricardo shillyshally's post:
  • Jislane35, queenoftheDales