Bernadette's bizarre pregnancy
Okay, so maybe this has come up somewhere else on this forum (if so, please tell me where), but does anyone else find the whole idea of Howard & Bernadette having a baby absolutely ludicrous?  Not to mention, the introduction of an infant is usually a pretty good indication that a show has jumped the shark (like we didn't know that for five years already).  So here are my issues with that storyline:
1) In the show, we found out several seasons ago that Bernie hates kids.  Not just dislikes them, but loathes them.  She never wanted any of her own.  At the time, she was dating Howard, who did want kids, but from his upbringing probably assumed that their mother would dote on them and do everything for them.  Bernie was clearly not the woman to fill that role.  After some discussion, she reluctantly admitted she might consider having kids someday if Howard would be willing to put his career on hold to raise them.  Of course, he was appalled at the idea, and that put an end to the conversation.
After the actress who voiced Howard’s mom passed away and TPTB decided to have Howard’s mother die in canon as well, I can understand that Bernie might have had something of a change of heart.  After all, her husband probably now felt very alone, even though he since found out he has a brother, not to mention his countless cousins.  My problem with that theory is that it was never mentioned at all on the show.  Bernie never said or indicated that she had changed her mind about kids.
2) So how did Bernie "accidentally" get knocked up?  With no concrete proof that Bernie softened at all about having kids, why the hell are she and Howard still using condoms as birth control?  It makes no sense.  Not only is the experience better for both parties without condoms, but if you’re sure you don’t want to get pregnant, do you really want to use a form of birth control you have to think about every time?  Not only that, but then we are offered the unbelievable story line that the condom broke, but Howard was somehow unaware of it and Bernie didn’t tell him, leading to the ridiculous scenario of “Oops, the condom broke and now we’re pregnant.”
3) Neither Bernie or Howard are ready to be parents. Bernie is an extremely reluctant, disinterested mother and Howard is a lazy, irresponsible father. It's like they want this poor kid to be damaged for life. Howard has shown no interest in holding up his end of the bargain and staying home with the baby, and all Bernadette cares about is how this is going to affect her career and how she is perceived in the workplace. Does anyone really want to watch this storyline play out?  It would have been much better if they had just never introduced the idea.  I don’t think any of the characters are anywhere near mature enough to raise a child.
Hey Daedaleopsis, good to see you here Smile Love your Shenny fics.

If there must be a plot device in a form of a child, it's best it comes from those two. The A-team couples have way too much issues among themselves. Of all the three couples on the show, Howard and Bernie are the most suited to have a child together, IMO. They have no serious arguments, unlike the the other two and Bernie knows how to be a great mother. She had that bossy attitude to Sheldon in a couple of scenes, she seems the most fitted for parenting. Howard will learn from Bernie as he goes along, they're both smart. I don't see them separating, but their story is always the B plot, nothing dramatic going on.

Even if it happened by accident, they and the baby will be okay. As long as Amy and Leonard stay away, otherwise they'll get funny ideas of their own. Lenny's child will grow up in alcoholic single-parent home, it's only a matter of time, before they fall apart and Amy would probably use hers for experiments or something.
With so many other issues with the main couples, this plot never gains any serious attention. Little time is given
to this couple, which ironically, works out the best among the canon three. They're not perfect, but they also aren't that bad, to FUBAR their child.
Bernadette said in canon that it was definitely an oops baby. So either the condom broke, or the Drug company Bernadette works for (which is where I assume she would get her birth control pills from) really, really sucks.

But if you want to talk bizarre, let's talk about the Showrunner and writers treating this show like a teen soap Opera. Complete with cheating boyfriends (Leonard), Proms, and the only way to show growth and normality is to give up your identity, your dreams and your soul just to become someone's "sexy Toddler" (Complete with sippy cups and toddler approved snack containers in the car). And don't even get me started on Bernadette being pregnant for over 11 months, just so the kid will share Amy's Birthday.
“There are no scenes more fun to do, I feel like, than the ones between Sheldon and Penny. They are such a wonderful odd couple.” - Jim Parsons
All we can do is hope that the last episode pulls a 'St Elsewhere' on us. Pans out to reveal a blank, beady-eyed stare across the room, and Sheldon huddling closer to Penny, "Why is that strange woman staring at me like that?"

"I don't know, sweetie. Perhaps we should leave, I think I just saw your ex-roommate come in, and you know how he creeps me out..."
The following 2 users Like SpaceAnJL's post:
  • devilbk, Nutz
(01-25-2017, 03:32 AM)Daedaleopsis Wrote: Okay, so maybe this has come up somewhere else on this forum (if so, please tell me where), but does anyone else find the whole idea of Howard & Bernadette having a baby absolutely ludicrous?  Not to mention, the introduction of an infant is usually a pretty good indication that a show has jumped the shark (like we didn't know that for five years already).  So here are my issues with that storyline:
1) In the show, we found out several seasons ago that Bernie hates kids.  Not just dislikes them, but loathes them.  She never wanted any of her own.  At the time, she was dating Howard, who did want kids, but from his upbringing probably assumed that their mother would dote on them and do everything for them.  Bernie was clearly not the woman to fill that role.  After some discussion, she reluctantly admitted she might consider having kids someday if Howard would be willing to put his career on hold to raise them.  Of course, he was appalled at the idea, and that put an end to the conversation.
After the actress who voiced Howard’s mom passed away and TPTB decided to have Howard’s mother die in canon as well, I can understand that Bernie might have had something of a change of heart.  After all, her husband probably now felt very alone, even though he since found out he has a brother, not to mention his countless cousins.  My problem with that theory is that it was never mentioned at all on the show.  Bernie never said or indicated that she had changed her mind about kids.
2) So how did Bernie "accidentally" get knocked up?  With no concrete proof that Bernie softened at all about having kids, why the hell are she and Howard still using condoms as birth control?  It makes no sense.  Not only is the experience better for both parties without condoms, but if you’re sure you don’t want to get pregnant, do you really want to use a form of birth control you have to think about every time?  Not only that, but then we are offered the unbelievable story line that the condom broke, but Howard was somehow unaware of it and Bernie didn’t tell him, leading to the ridiculous scenario of “Oops, the condom broke and now we’re pregnant.”
3) Neither Bernie or Howard are ready to be parents. Bernie is an extremely reluctant, disinterested mother and Howard is a lazy, irresponsible father. It's like they want this poor kid to be damaged for life. Howard has shown no interest in holding up his end of the bargain and staying home with the baby, and all Bernadette cares about is how this is going to affect her career and how she is perceived in the workplace. Does anyone really want to watch this storyline play out?  It would have been much better if they had just never introduced the idea.  I don’t think any of the characters are anywhere near mature enough to raise a child.

The sad truth is they only made Bernadette pregnant because the writers didn't have any idea how to end the tag scene, in 9.15 The Valentino Submergence. Only two months beforehand, Molaro had told Glamour magazine that there were "no immediate plans [for a baby]." because "that is the kind of thing that can really affect the DNA of a show." There's an account somewhere which says they couldn't think of a closing line for Bernadette in that episode.

"It wasn't even part of the outline for the episode. We were writing it and getting toward the end of the story and I guess maternity was in the air because Bernadette was holding this wrapped-up bunny and they named it, and we were writing the final page of that storyline. Half-kidding, I said, "What if Bernadette tells the rabbit, 'We'll find another time to tell him I'm pregnant.' "

Molaro has since embellished the story.

He then told Glamour when questioned about the change of heart that "he came up with the idea two days before the table read of "The Valentino Submergence" (which most likely took place in early January)."

Confused? i am too.
More proof that because they don't plan ANYTHING for the show nor have an outline of the seasons direction, that that is what makes the show not make any sense. They're a no direction. Sad tbh.
Bitches be crazy.