The 'Sheldon' Prequel
‘The Big Bang Theory’ Spinoff About Young Sheldon Eyed at CBS, Warner Bros. TV

"Warner Bros. TV and CBS are in the early stages of developing a spinoff of “The Big Bang Theory” that would revolve around the Sheldon Cooper character as a youth.

The project is nearing a script deal, sources tell Variety.

Jim Parsons, who plays Sheldon on the flagship series, is attached to executive produce the spinoff along with Chuck Lorre and “Big Bang” showrunner Steve Molaro. “Big Bang” co-creator/exec producer Bill Prady is likely to be on board as an exec producer as well.

Molaro will write the script focusing on Sheldon, the idiosyncratic and neurotic genius, as a youth growing up in Texas. The character’s colorful family and formative years in the Lone Star state have often been referenced on “Big Bang Theory.” Laurie Metcalf earned an Emmy nomination this year for her recurring guest star role as Sheldon’s mother, Mary Cooper.

CBS and Warner Bros. TV declined to comment.

Molaro will write the script focusing on Sheldon, the idiosyncratic and neurotic genius, as a youth growing up in Texas. The character’s colorful family and formative years in the Lone Star state have often been referenced on “Big Bang Theory.” Laurie Metcalf earned an Emmy nomination this year for her recurring guest star role as Sheldon’s mother, Mary Cooper.

CBS and Warner Bros. TV declined to comment.

“Big Bang Theory” is television’s top comedy, a major feat for a show in its 10th season. Warner Bros. and CBS are expected to begin discussions soon about a renewal deal that is anticipated to take the show through another two or three seasons. A prequel spinoff would give CBS a shot at extending the valuable “Big Bang” franchise.

Renewing “Big Bang” is an expensive investment, as the core cast members — Parsons, Johnny Galecki and Kaley Cuoco — currently make $1 million per episode for their 24-episode seasons. A new series would come with a lower cost structure but capitalize on the built-in “Big Bang” fan base.

Sources caution, though, that the follow-up series is still in very early development, just at the script stage."

Thought I'd start a thread about this new show, as this looks likely to go at least to planning and pilot stage.
Let's think about the positives about this idea:

1. No more forced rom-com. (No babies, no lame weddings, no Lenny, no Shamy, no Howardette)
2. Sheldon in his rawest form.
3. Missy, Mary, new characters.
4. Death rays and Sheldon showing his early genius.

Wouldn't it be funny if it defied the odds and ignored the objections I see by other fans and became more popular than the dragged out BBT.

Would he look something like this?

[Image: b54c4576b2aefb5622698a82882dea7b.jpg]
The following 2 users Like Tuesday Pajamas's post:
  • QueenOfShebaSays, Idle Miscreant
Holy crap it's true...
I would be 100% for it. What if that's the case??? I would enjoy that... and Jim doing voice overs before each episode. And no laugh track.
Bitches be crazy. 
<iframe width='640' height='480' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen src='//player.ooyala.com/static/v4/stable/4.10.6/skin-plugin/iframe.html?ec=hxYjF4NzE662WvBVkZMmHp-I3uutKPlG&pbid=78cae8ef28c44566a8a4f92b671e4e87&pcode=lqeTgyOrBL_IKncuTSauFTd7P60R'></iframe>
A show about the young Sheldon. 

Hmm.

I do not know. There are mixed feelings.

At the first view it seems like a good thing (how "Tuesday" and "Queen" pointed out -'no Shamy, no romcom, a voice over of Mister Parsons, ect..), but, for me, it would be more a sad affair.

When I could see a young Sheldon with a brilliant mind, genius-like intellect and the great hope to become a pioneer-scientist,.....and to have, at the same time the certitade in my head what will become of him after he will, in future, met a person named "Amy",...this show would be more like a tragedy.

(Let us be honest. Our hero Sheldon Cool  will never win the noble-price Sad  and my sweatheart/crush Penny Heart  will never become a famous successful actress Sad  after they became the "terriers" of this two creatures. Angry )

Of course, there could be indeed lots of funny scenes but how could I enjoy it with the knowloedge about this deep fall?

And at least it would be only again the same thing like "The adventures of the young Indiana Jones", "Underworld: Rise of the lycans", "Star Trek: Enterprise, "Star Wars: Episode I-III" , or every other part of this unholy prequel-wave. A money-machine with wich the fans should be "milked".  That is so clear.

Well, if the writers-at "TBBT"- make this turn and let Penny and Sheldon wake up und let them become again themselves, then-eventually- a "Young Sheldon"-spin-off would be enjoyable, (because the whole seasons 4-10 of "TBBT" could be seen with another perspective) but without that there would be for me (that is all only my point of view) no reason to take a look.

P.S.: Regard the turning of Penny and Sheldon: The hope is still not dead!!!

SHENNY FOR THE WIN!!!
Well, I don't have mixed feeling about this at all. I'm against it for the following reasons:

1. Steve Molaro has proven he has no clue how to do  "vintage Sheldon" with Molaro in control we would probably get a normal boy who became this neurotic nutball (according to some other sites) because during the course of the show a girl broke his heart and he gave up love, and normalcy for Science until the love of his life Amy showed up and made him feel again.

2. On the small chance they do get Sheldon right, I have no desire to see his drunken father shooting up the house; his Born again Christian Mother in full Jesus will cure your Science crazy; his brother, sister, and College "peers/Professors" bullying him; and the College Administration Pimping him out for money (Germany just didn't happen people)

3. Sheldon Cooper was special because of Jim, his facial ticks, body posture, dedication to learning difficult scientific lines and banter to "become Sheldon" has very little chance of happening again, especially with a 11-12 year old actor. The character will need to be sympathetic on his own, (without the adults adding sugary or traumatic moments) and most likely he'll come off as a snot-nosed know-it-all, which people will hate.

If they actually go through with this, (which it looks like they will) I give it 4-6 episodes before it's cancelled.
“There are no scenes more fun to do, I feel like, than the ones between Sheldon and Penny. They are such a wonderful odd couple.” - Jim Parsons
The following 1 user Likes Nutz's post:
  • Idle Miscreant
Yeah, watching some Urkel-lite being trashed by cringe-making stereotypes, with the foreknowledge of what will eventually become of the poor bastard, just does not appeal.
(01-06-2017, 05:16 PM)Nutz Wrote: Well, I don't have mixed feeling about this at all. I'm against it for the following reasons:

1. Steve Molaro has proven he has no clue how to do  "vintage Sheldon" with Molero in control we would probably get a normal boy who became this neurotic nutball (according to some other sites) because during the course of the show a girl broke his heart and he gave up love, and normalcy for Science until the love of his life Amy showed up and made him feel again.

2. On the small chance they do get Sheldon right, I have no desire to see his drunken father shooting up the house; his Born again Christian Mother in full Jesus will cure your Science crazy; his brother, sister, and College "peers/Professors" bullying him; and the College Administration Pimping him out for money (Germany just didn't happen people)

3. Sheldon Cooper was special because of Jim, his facial ticks, body posture, dedication to learning difficult scientific lines and banter to "become Sheldon" has very little chance of happening again, especially with a 11-12 year old actor. The character will need to be sympathetic on his own, (without the adults adding sugary or traumatic moments) and most likely he'll come off as a snot-nosed know-it-all, which people will hate.

If they actually go through with this, (which it looks like they will) I give it 4-6 episodes before it's cancelled.

I agree, even if they do manage to find a young actor that's a patch on Jim, Steve Molaro will botch it up. He'll make young Sheldon a blundering idiot because he thinks thats the only way to get laughs. He's way too conformist. he will sully what little there is left of the memory of self-contained independent Sheldon. It's almost as if he hates and resents the early character so much, that he wants to erase all memory of him. Well STUFF YOU MOLARO. WE remember and honour him with this site.
The Big Bang Theory Prequel Casts Young Sheldon and His Mother

[Image: AAnIYpI.img?h=411&w=728&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f&x=469&y=206]
“There are no scenes more fun to do, I feel like, than the ones between Sheldon and Penny. They are such a wonderful odd couple.” - Jim Parsons