The 'Sheldon' Prequel
I like Annie Potts as Meemaw though my preferred casting is still Carol Burnett.
The following 1 user Likes devilbk's post:
  • Nutz
(08-03-2017, 12:16 AM)wellplayedpenny Wrote: Not to knock Jim, but maybe a good deal of why the audience "forgave" Sheldon when he was despicable, difficult and hard on his best friends was that the writing was GOOD! It was witty and smart. And we accepted Sheldon because his character demanded from the audience the same thing he did of his friends--"This is me. Take it or leave it. But you still have to drive me to the comic book store, regardless."

To say right off the bat that you can't make Young Sheldon like early Sheldon isn't a case of age. It's a case of laziness. What's so bratty about building the CAT scanner or the Nuclear reactor? Having a boy throw a tantrum because his parents had the audacity to buy him a dirt bike for his birthday present is a unique spin. It's this uniqueness they don't want to create. They've lost their edge as BBT went on--that the audience numbers remained high told them that they didn't have to work hard to please the masses. Now they're taking what they learned and applying it whole-hog to a new show.

This will be a real test case to see if the later-seasons pablum we witness on BBT could stand on its own if it didn't have the solid writing/character building of the early seasons to support it.

Yes I don't agree with Lorre's comments either. Some of the best lines and funniest imagery came from Sheldon's imagined childhood. He certainly never came across as a brat. He seemed a little lonely and misunderstood. A genius amongst some very poor and messed up folk and it gave us a reason to sympathise. Young Sheldon shows him getting a lot more support and they have said that he will learn lessons. So its almost like a sequel in which 'New Sheldon' has regressed into a child, and they continue this 'growth' concept.

The fact that Molaro will be writing Young Sheldon is one of the bitterest pills for me. Molaro has done the most damage to the character and he still can't leave well enough alone.
The following 3 users Like Tuesday Pajamas's post:
  • wellplayedpenny, Idle Miscreant, Nutz
I wonder how they'll explain why Young Sheldon who got lots of support and learned lessons will end up of as "difficult, derogatory and often downright rude" Vintage Sheldon.
Monkey, I think they call that the Wayne's World dissolve: "did-a-loo-did-a-loo-did-a-loo"
Let's go exploring!
The following 1 user Likes wellplayedpenny's post:
  • Nutz
Remember in Shamyland Sheldon was an arrogant, selfish S.O.B in pre-Amy episodes because he hadn't "found love" yet. Its definitely not because he didn't understand social situations at all because he had undiagnosed Aspergers.
“There are no scenes more fun to do, I feel like, than the ones between Sheldon and Penny. They are such a wonderful odd couple.” - Jim Parsons
This article made my blood boil! This guy obviously hated the show.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/merrillbarr...0ca37f7fa6

Yes I think Young Sheldon is for a different audience but I despise the idea that Atypical people must be seen to become more normal to be acceptable. I liked Sheldon in the first 3 seasons when he was unashamedly himself, warts and all. I don't find it endearing to see this character portrayed as a child who has to 'grow' by others standards. I think it puts unrealistic pressure on the Atypical community to be something they are not. It's all about making money for the network. Nowadays everyone is throwing an atypical into the mix and then training him to her.
Here's a couple more reviews

We Got This Covered: 
http://wegotthiscovered.com/tv/young-she...-1-review/

Deadline:
http://deadline.com/2017/09/young-sheldo...202173989/

AV Club:
https://www.avclub.com/watch-skip-or-bin...1798640151

Can't help thinking that if they HAD to do a prequel it should've been a dark comedy with the Big Three. Every episode the 3 deal with the same kind of situation and then watch What they do. It would also give 3 different views on the families (poor, middle class and rich).

Example- They're being bullied:
Leonard's Mom hooking him up to scan his brain while she asks him questions about what he did wrong, Sheldon looking into if he can create a Griffin by gene splicing (and being miffed he can't) and Slugger punching out and hog tying her bully
“There are no scenes more fun to do, I feel like, than the ones between Sheldon and Penny. They are such a wonderful odd couple.” - Jim Parsons
I seems to be a giant soap-bubble.

[Image: fufu_naso_2.gif]
I watched the Little Sheldon show (what a brain buster it must've been coming up with that name) And although like Dev said there were moments that were sweet I still couldn't help thinking that except for the fact they named these people the Coopers, this could've been any family sitcom where they had a very smart kid.

Mary: Is now his biggest cheerleader and not the Church Nazi Sheldon made her out to be - does anyone really believe that Mary would be asking who in her family is attending Church with her and not MAKING the whole family go (not to mention Sheldon actually wanting to go to church with his mother).

His Dad: Is a kinder, gentler man who's been beaten down by life and is doing his best as a high school football coach and a father. Gone is the drunken, womanizing man who wants to MAKE a man out of Sheldon by forcing him to do "manly" things.

Sheldon: The actor playing Sheldon is wonderful, however the showrunner seems to be so concerned that people aren't going to like him For example: Instead of being in the classrooms and seeing Sheldon's viewpoint while he is correcting the mistakes his teachers have made and then dealing with the teachers anger (and students mockery), we are "told" what he did from the teachers side. If we only hear about Sheldon's most Sheldony moments from the adults how are we supposed to have sympathy for him.

The "learning moments": They may be sweet at times, but you can't have Sheldon learning about social interactions and understanding them because then it's not the Sheldon we fell in love with

Molero seems to be doing exactly what I thought he would and I look forward to more Nickelodeon tween soap moments Sarcasm which I figure will ultimately end up being a normal(ish) Sheldon who falls in love with a girl that breaks his heart, leaving him determined to close off his emotions and give his life to Science. (until a web-toed, hips that don’t open wider than 22 degrees, brittle-ankled, hair the color of mud girl "saves" him).

In the end, I'm sure that this is grab for more money from the powers that be. What they're really hoping for is this show takes off so they can get rid of BBT in 2 years with all those pesky high salaries.
This reviewer doesn't mince his words about Young Sheldon...

The Big Bland Backstory.

https://www.google.co.nz/amp/www.livemin...=googleamp

Do you agree?