Off Topic
(01-15-2014, 03:39 AM)CassandraElise Wrote: For those curious, or who haven't seen it, the full exchange between Jim and Shenny shipping reporter:

Quote:Jim: I literally do not have enough imagination to figure out how that would ever happen.

Reporter: I think it could happen.

Jim: Sure it could. It’s all about science.

Science=Chemistry. TBH, it doesn't sound like a gentle let-down to me. Big Grin

Yeppers. I wrote the same thing in another thread. I think that's what he means, correct?
Are we wishful thinking?
(01-14-2014, 03:16 AM)FlyingMonkey Wrote:
(01-14-2014, 02:06 AM)Jislane35 Wrote: I don't see what's so great about her character that people adore about her.

I think a LOT of the new audience identify themselves strongly with Amy. That's why they go absolutely insane when anyone criticizes the character. They take it VERY personally. They/Amy are the homely misfits who have always been left out of the "cool" crowd. The Penny-types made fun of their looks and their clothes. That's why Amy went so overboard with her infatuation with Penny when they became friends, even though Penny was exactly the type that had bullied her. She was finally experiencing what she'd missed out on. Her fans seem to be living their lives thru her. If "ugly duckling" Amy can find love and happiness then there's hope for them too. It's really kind of sad.

THIS

What they don't seem to get is that there are people who identify with Sheldon, and these people, (Me included to some extent) do not like to see the character they most sympathise with slowly mutating into something else.

Now I could have thought of myself as an "ugly duckling", but I refused to do this, as there is very little strength of character or likeability in someone who repeatedly rams it down other people's throats that they had no value until they gained the approval from people that are in reality just as paranoid and reliant on other people as they are.

(01-15-2014, 02:43 AM)taffinabean Wrote:
(01-14-2014, 04:18 PM)WITCHDOCTOR FANTASTIC Wrote: Hm. That's exactly what bothers me. I really don't like the way the writers/directors treat the characters on this show. Very inconsistent. They've completely stopped taking the core definitions of the characters into account, instead bending them to fit a particular arc or situation. The outcome should always be molded around the characters, not the other way round. Call me superficial, Confused but I think Sheldon deserves someone sexier. To me the "growing" of Sheldon's character should have come from him having a mature, slightly flirtatious but ultimately innocent relationship, not a mismatched setting up with a character that has clearly been created as a dynamic-changer and nothing else. They have tried to make her into a fully formed character, but I just think she should have been a temporary dynamic-changing character (like Stephanie, or Zack or someone) that would turn up, add some "are we going to find out Sheldon's 'deal?' " drama, and then disappear. I do not think she is a strong enough character to be part of the main cast, or indeed still part of the show at all. I could not imagine Homo Novus standing for such treatment. I really don't think the writers handle plot well.
I agree with this post so much.

Every classic/great sitcom the characters were consistent because it shows fully realized developed characters and writing.
You knew exactly how Mary or Rhoda would react in any situation, or Sam and Diane, or Fraiser and Nyles, or the cast of Seinfeld and Friends.

The shows above didn't have the characters all over the place at their core. Sure they moved jobs, relationships, pregnancy but they kept it consistent with the character people knew and loved.
TBBT is a mess, and Amy is the biggest mistake this show ever made.
Of course with all the media accolades and stratospheric ratings, I'm sure TPTB think the opposite.
They think they really turned the show around with brilliant deep characters who are growing and maturing. You know they think this by the things they say in interviews.

I'm all for Amy getting off the show as a main character as well. I know some want her with Leonard or Raj as maybe a desperate move to make room for Shenny or something but I don't think she fits with any of the guys on the show, and barely fits as Penny's friend.
The Amy character is a big mess more than anything, and has contributed to the downgrading of one of the most interesting characters written for a show in over a decade; Sheldon.
There are glimpses of old Sheldon when he's alone with Penny, but that's few and far between.
He's now a baby with less intelligent conversation, and also flops at his job.
This show will never win an industry award for best comedy series due to the shitty inconsistent writing.

(01-14-2014, 01:49 PM)Tuesday Pajamas Wrote: Jim doesn't know what will happen, he's just enjoying what is probably one of the best jobs in the world!

I agree but it's aggravating he was so adamant at first with his there is not imagination in the world for this to happen comment. Basically that's what he meant.
Just say "Well you never know what is going to happen. The writers are great and will do whatever they think is best" or something diplomatic like that.

Yes, I wasn't all that keen on the late seasons of Frasier, but you can't deny that the characters were treated well and developed, but kept their charm. Niles and Daphne getting together was handled very delicately, and I thought it worked. (Though I would have liked Daphne to have kept some of the "kookiness" that I loved in the early seasons. Just a bit of it.)
HARRISON FORD IS IRRADIATING OUR TESTICLES WITH MICROWAVE SATELLITE TRANSMISSIONS

AND WHO THE FUCK STOLE MY BOILED EGGS?