The Fortress of Solitude
Since we are blessed with writers aplenty at the HQ I thought it'd be nice to have a thread where we can mumble and grumble about the writing process. This can be about our own personal projects, fan fictions, etc. It can also be about cool and or frustrating things we've read and want to vent/discuss.
Let's go exploring!
XXX

I've been reading books on 'how to write' by various authors. Right now I've got a growl at Stephen King. I read his book 'On Writing' and the big thing he said was, “The road to hell is paved with adverbs.” So I did my best to limit them in my first draft. Now I'm reading to see how writers weave dialogue into stories and I decided to start with his Lisey's Story. What do I spot in the first chapter? ""blah, blah," she smiled WARMLY." As soon as I saw it I was all Penny in the hallway with the, 'you rat bastard.'

Yeah, I'll continue to read the book as I have learned some things from it, technique-wise.

But I'll be counting the adverbs.
Let's go exploring!
The following 1 user Likes wellplayedpenny's post:
  • Nutz
I feel the great desire to hurt every self-righteous smug arse that witters on about being at their desk at o'fuck o'clock in the morning, and churning out fifty pages of deathless prose before lunch. They are either lying, or have staff/long-suffering partners to run the rest of their lives. Or both.
The following 1 user Likes SpaceAnJL's post:
  • wellplayedpenny