0%
0 0%
3 Dirty Socks
0%
0 0%
Total 7 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

9.21 - The Viewer Party Combustion
(04-04-2016, 12:49 PM)Nutz Wrote: Welcome Serpent to Vintage BBT and alternate shipping! Some say we're crazy and delusional here, but never fear, we're perfectly sane our mothers had us tested Big Grin

Either way, "normal" in the traditional sense is overrated anyway. Wink

At the very least we can make our ship work without having to infantilizing Sheldon or suppressing Penny's ambitions and true nature.

I always snort when Shamy fans continue harping about how Sheldon and Amy have a "relationship of the minds" when from what I've heard, Amy keeps pressuring Sheldon for coitus and affection in recent Seasons. *shivers* Luckily, I haven't watched after the fifth or sixth season.

(04-04-2016, 12:58 PM)Tuesday Pajamas Wrote: Welcome to the mad house Serpent Blossom good to have you with us.

Thank you Big Grin!
The following 2 users Like Serpent In Red's post:
  • Toad, Kimk26
I've watched very little of nine but I'm aware of whats going on. Every so often I dive in and give a new episode a chance but they are so poor in comparison to the old ones. You could really see the effort and love that went into the earlier work, but of course what sells, is what sells. At least we can perserve it here.

One of my big issues with the later seasons is the hamfisted way they force ideas, rather than write a great piece that shows us. For example, Stuart will say that Leonard and Penny have a great relationship in a scene. He's only in the scene to make this statement in defense of Lenny. All the other characters are pawns for the ships. The writers put all their energy into the relationships now and the reason they have too, is both couples are forced and unnatural.

As for Howrdette... they could disappear tomorrow and I don't think anyone would notice. Same with Raj and whomever he's dating. Howard and Raj were a great team but they separated the nerd group into all couples, and the show lost so much in doing that.
The following 4 users Like Tuesday Pajamas's post:
  • Serpent In Red, Idle Miscreant, Nutz, Kimk26
(04-04-2016, 01:22 PM)Tuesday Pajamas Wrote: I've watched very little of nine but I'm aware of whats going on. Every so often I dive in and give a new episode a chance but they are so poor in comparison to the old ones. You could really see the effort and love that went into the earlier work, but of course what sells, is what sells. At least we can perserve it here.

One of my big issues with the later seasons is the hamfisted way they force ideas, rather than write a great piece that shows us. For example, Stuart will say that Leonard and Penny have a great relationship in a scene. He's only in the scene to make this statement in defense of Lenny. All the other characters are pawns for the ships. The writers put all their energy into the relationships now and the reason they have too, is both couples are forced and unnatural.

As for Howrdette... they could disappear tomorrow and I don't think anyone would notice. Same with Raj and whomever he's dating. Howard and Raj were a great team but they separated the nerd group into all couples, and the show lost so much in doing that.

So very true. I got around to rewatching the old seasons and I still find things hilarious. Nothing was there to force a laugh out of the audience. The natural way the original five interacted with one another and held themselves was enough to get the laughs without trying. It makes me sigh and lament the potential the show had. I mean, I don't even need any relationships to come true (because I doubt the writers can make Shenny happen without butchering the characters, but that's another argument for another day) because the friendship they had and the lovely bantering was enough for me to keep the show going. But then the tptb decided "No, we must normalize the show." *sighs, sighs, and sighs some more*

But to be very honest, after all the nasty Shamy posts that were tagged purposely in the Shenny tag on Tumblr, I'm almost tempted to pray that they would make Shenny would come to past just so we can shove it right in the Shamy fans' face and laugh (well, at least, only the ones who were being immature and nasty; nothing against those who are civilized). (Sorry, the mean little devil inside ... okay, I'm lying, the mean Hulk-size devil inside of me has become Godzilla-sized, wants to stomp around, and spit fire at things.)

(Hopefully, I'm not breaking any rules in this post? If I am, please tell me. Big Grin)
The following 3 users Like Serpent In Red's post:
  • Tuesday Pajamas, Nutz, Kimk26
You've made 4 posts so should be able to see the chat box now.
The following 2 users Like Tuesday Pajamas's post:
  • Serpent In Red, Kimk26
(04-04-2016, 02:37 PM)Tuesday Pajamas Wrote: You've made 4 posts so should be able to see the chat box now.

Sorry, probably an idiotic question, but where is the chatbox?

EDIT: Never mind. Found it. Big Grin
The following 2 users Like Serpent In Red's post:
  • Idle Miscreant, Kimk26
The scenes and episodes which claw their way to the top of the polls, and are generally bandied about by Joe Schmoe, are always either the Sheldon/Penny ones, or those with an emphasis on the group, usually with a heavy geek element.

Yet the focus (if being repeatedly bludgeoned allows for anything as subtle as focus) for the past 5 years has been Sheldon and Amy's relationship, and though this, Sheldon's excruciating and depressing journey to normaldom.

I stopped watching in early Season 8, after the first few episodes showed the direction (a lacklustre one-way trip to the burbs, seemingly. I could be wrong), but every time I check in and read one of those oddly biased taping reports, it appears to be some variation of;

Sheldon does something Sheldonic, Saint Amy complains (as a bonus, sometimes Leonard complains as well), Sheldon learns the error of being Sheldon, and becomes a better boyfriend for Saint Amy (who has SUFFERED SO MUCH, or rather, was unpopular in high school O MY BLEEDING HEART!)

I have yet to find anything interesting in this.

Bizarrely though, it has been going on for five years. Presumably, at end, Sheldon will have been utterly replaced, cell by cell, like a mineralised fossil, with Amy's perfect boyfriend.

As an occasional fossil dealer, I would personally put this on the shelf next to the polished coprolite.

Part of the joy of the Sheldon/Penny scenes, other than the obvious comedy brilliance of the entangled and conflicting opposites, was that she didn't give a damn about trying to change him. She accepted him fairly early on (I'd suggest Pancake Batter Anomaly?), and then simply took great glee jousting with the fucker.

If he asked for advice, or needed solace, she was there. Otherwise she let Sheldon be Sheldon.
Similarly, Sheldon took as fact that Penny was ill-educated, and somewhat chaotic, and yet persisted in going to her for help in matters of social etiquette, or for sheer companionship. Her appearance was completely immaterial to him, and therefore the ONLY reason he valued her company was for her personality and nature. Something I've always doubted about Leonard.

Plot-wise, I wouldn't have gone for a Sheldon and Penny romance myself (except for at the end sass ), simply because I'm not a fan of romance in general. Indeed, I enjoyed that there were two male/female characters that were ALLOWED to be friends, and not merely in the precursory stages of a relationship. But that said, if such a relationship had emerged, I wouldn't have been even vaguely surprised. Penny and Sheldon are positive and negative, attracting through their different charges, whilst remaining at core very similar. Sheldon and Amy however, strike me as a baffling effort to stick a magnet to a boiled potato.

I remain baffled, also, as to why Sheldon and Penny's friendship needs to be forced aside, limited to one episode per season (and not even that!) in order to give prominence to this magnet/potato dalliance, instead of functioning alongside it, as a much-needed kick in the entertainment bollocks.

These are clever writers, so I ponder...
"WHERE THE HELL'S MY PARACHUTE?"
The following 6 users Like Idle Miscreant's post:
  • Tuesday Pajamas, Serpent In Red, Toad, FlyingMonkey, Nutz, Kimk26
(04-04-2016, 03:37 PM)Idle Miscreant Wrote: The scenes and episodes which claw their way to the top of the polls, and are generally bandied about by Joe Schmoe, are always either the Sheldon/Penny ones, or those with an emphasis on the group, usually with a heavy geek element.

Yet the focus (if being repeatedly bludgeoned allows for anything as subtle as focus) for the past 5 years has been Sheldon and Amy's relationship, and though this, Sheldon's excruciating and depressing journey to normaldom.

I stopped watching in early Season 8, after the first few episodes showed the direction (a lacklustre one-way trip to the burbs, seemingly. I could be wrong), but every time I check in and read one of those oddly biased taping reports, it appears to be some variation of;

Sheldon does something Sheldonic, Saint Amy complains (as a bonus, sometimes Leonard complains as well), Sheldon learns the error of being Sheldon, and becomes a better boyfriend for Saint Amy (who has SUFFERED SO MUCH, or rather, was unpopular in high school O MY BLEEDING HEART!)

I have yet to find anything interesting in this.

Bizarrely though, it has been going on for five years. Presumably, at end, Sheldon will have been utterly replaced, cell by cell, like a mineralised fossil, with Amy's perfect boyfriend.

As an occasional fossil dealer, I would personally put this on the shelf next to the polished coprolite.

Part of the joy of the Sheldon/Penny scenes, other than the obvious comedy brilliance of the entangled and conflicting opposites, was that she didn't give a damn about trying to change him. She accepted him fairly early on (I'd suggest Pancake Batter Anomaly?), and then simply took great glee jousting with the fucker.

If he asked for advice, or needed solace, she was there. Otherwise she let Sheldon be Sheldon.
Similarly, Sheldon took as fact that Penny was ill-educated, and somewhat chaotic, and yet persisted in going to her for help in matters of social etiquette, or for sheer companionship. Her appearance was completely immaterial to him, and therefore the ONLY reason he valued her company was for her personality and nature. Something I've always doubted about Leonard.

Plot-wise, I wouldn't have gone for a Sheldon and Penny romance myself (except for at the end sass ), simply because I'm not a fan of romance in general. Indeed, I enjoyed that there were two male/female characters that were ALLOWED to be friends, and not merely in the precursory stages of a relationship. But that said, if such a relationship had emerged, I wouldn't have been even vaguely surprised. Penny and Sheldon are positive and negative, attracting through their different charges, whilst remaining at core very similar. Sheldon and Amy however, strike me as a baffling effort to stick a magnet to a boiled potato.

I remain baffled, also, as to why Sheldon and Penny's friendship needs to be forced aside, limited to one episode per season (and not even that!) in order to give prominence to this magnet/potato dalliance, instead of functioning alongside it, as a much-needed kick in the entertainment bollocks.

These are clever writers, so I ponder...

This is so true. Watching Sheldon and Penny bantering is amusing and full of fun. Though I suppose there might be some hilarious moments if they were ever thrown into a romantic relationship, the romance itself isn't really needed to push things along simply because the air sizzles whenever Sheldon and Penny are in a scene together, something which the tptb ignores for no other reasons other than to please the rabid canon-shippers.  Puke 

"magnet/potato dalliance" - I believe this has to be the ultimate description for Lenny and Shamy. It's absolutely brilliant.  Heart

What's worse is that because of this magne-potatoness, the friendship between Sheldon and Penny has to be sacrificed because, ermahgawd, we can't have a male and a female being friends when they have bf/gf/wife/husband/potatoes.
The following 5 users Like Serpent In Red's post:
  • Toad, devilbk, Idle Miscreant, Nutz, Kimk26
[Image: 108054_0258b_595_Mini%20Logo%20TV%20whit...allery.jpg]

"What I feel when I'm with Penny is something I cannot explain with words and certainly something I never felt with you. Amy, this isn't working out and we both know it."

Amy storms out of the apartment angry and happy Penny snugs into Sheldons embrace, greeted with a peck on the forehead.

THE END
The following 3 users Like CTR69's post:
  • FlyingSolo, lilyben3, Kimk26
Welcome CTR69.

Spoiler TV blocks hotlinks which is annoying (added as an attachment). Smile
The following 1 user Likes Tuesday Pajamas's post:
  • Kimk26
I can so see that.

Amy needs to find someone her own speed. I don't believe that Sheldon would date someone with so many physical imperfections. Not after he dismissed all his friends as mates for his twin sister just because she shared his DNA. Can't find the right clip but Sheldon explain that NONE of the guys are suitable for his sister because of their genetic faults. For Leonard its his eyesight and lacto intolerance. Howard shortness... can't remember Raj's.

The following 4 users Like Tuesday Pajamas's post:
  • QueenOfShebaSays, devilbk, Kimk26, Nutz