50.00%
2 50.00%
3 Dirty Socks
50.00%
2 50.00%
Total 4 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

9.19 The Solder Excursion Diversion
Sheldon has been hoarding some things for far too long if you ask me. He really should get rid of Amy and Leonard.
The following 4 users Like devilbk's post:
  • Gamma, Lollywho, Shellsyke, Serpent In Red
Hey guys, thanks for the access. My first post might come as a negative, but I just have to get it out, before continuing with Shenny fluff.

This episode really made me upset at how they portrayed Sheldon. It was one facepalm after another. Computer death in itself was very, let's say mainstream-like. For people who know nothing about computers.

A genius who knows all about IT, internet and computers does NOT keep a 5 YO laptop around. Knowing Sheldon, he would always be around the latest tech, swapping laptops once a year or at least put SSD in it, lol. But he came out very weak here and Amy again as a superior being. Lame.

Second, all that emotional attachment is BS. Inside scoop, aspies don't have emotional attachments. I do and say whatever I want and rarely care for others. If I want something, I throw old stuff away and get new things. That's how Sheldon was correctly portrayed in the beginning, he was egoistic, pushing the boundaries, didn't care for other people's feelings and didn't have his own. But Amy ruined everything...

I always felt connected with the character, but this ep was WAY off. Routines and not wanting things to change is one thing, but gathering junk for 30 years is totally ridiculous.
The following 6 users Like CTR69's post:
  • Gamma, Tuesday Pajamas, Idle Miscreant, FlyingMonkey, CassandraElise, devilbk
Welcome to the site CTR69.

You don't have to worry about disappointed or 'negative' posts about the show here. This is the place for it. Many of us fell in love with the show when it was clever and celebrated the characters for being different but happy with who they were. And I totally agree with what you have posted about this episode. As soon as I read the spoilers, I knew I would never be able to watch this without getting angry at the total JUMP THE SHARK re-pen of Sheldon. I know there have been many lame things done to the character but this seems like something written by a completely different writing team.

Episodes like this make me want to buy a standee of Amy and burn it. How could they? What person these days, with a job like Sheldon and an obvious interest in gaming would have an outdated PC? He wouldn't be able to play the new games!!!!!!!! No way he would be able to create that video he used to scare the pants off Raj and Howard in The 43 Pecularity. It just makes my blood boil and the worst thing is.... the canons lap this up. They HATE Sheldon because he was suprerior to Leonard and anything that makes him look small and Amy look important is fine in their books. How can they claim to love Sheldon as a character, and think Amy is right for him if this kind of crap has to be pulled in order to create some forced 'bonding' experience.

Sorry you opened a can of worms Blush Big Grin

This is the Sheldon we signed up for. Shame on the writers...

The following 1 user Likes Tuesday Pajamas's post:
  • Idle Miscreant
(04-05-2016, 01:50 AM)CTR69 Wrote: Hey guys, thanks for the access. My first post might come as a negative, but I just have to get it out, before continuing with Shenny fluff.

This episode really made me upset at how they portrayed Sheldon. It was one facepalm after another. Computer death in itself was very, let's say mainstream-like. For people who know nothing about computers.

A genius who knows all about IT, internet and computers does NOT keep a 5 YO laptop around. Knowing Sheldon, he would always be around the latest tech, swapping laptops once a year or at least put SSD in it, lol. But he came out very weak here and Amy again as a superior being. Lame.

Second, all that emotional attachment is BS. Inside scoop, aspies don't have emotional attachments. I do and say whatever I want and rarely care for others. If I want something, I throw old stuff away and get new things. That's how Sheldon was correctly portrayed in the beginning, he was egoistic, pushing the boundaries, didn't care for other people's feelings and didn't have his own. But Amy ruined everything...

I always felt connected with the character, but this ep was WAY off. Routines and not wanting things to change is one thing, but gathering junk for 30 years is totally ridiculous.

Autistics definitely form emotional attatchments. The difference is in the expression of that attatchment. By the way, this is more for the benefit of anybody reading your post rather than you yourself obviously.
Poll is up, please vote.

Going back to CTR69's post... I hated that they made Sheldon a hoarder of dirty old toothbrushes. They have taken his personality traits away and think they can just add a few to make up for it. As long as they are connected to Amy and validate her addition to the show. It's so fake and heavy handed.
(04-05-2016, 03:44 AM)Tuesday Pajamas Wrote: Poll is up, please vote.

Going back to CTR69's post... I hated that they made Sheldon a hoarder of dirty old toothbrushes. They have taken his personality traits away and think they can just add a few to make up for it. As long as they are connected to Amy and validate her addition to the show. It's so fake and heavy handed.

Meemaw's confrontation with Amy made me think that they might be trying to correct some of that stuff but as we've seen that's not the case. It's just sad. Totally and completely sad
(04-05-2016, 01:50 AM)CTR69 Wrote: Hey guys, thanks for the access. My first post might come as a negative, but I just have to get it out, before continuing with Shenny fluff.

Just throwing this out there: I do know of some Aspies who are also hoarders. It basically manifests from the OCD and their capacity to form more emotional bonds to objects rather than people. On the other hand, I know of some Aspies who are, like you, OCD about cleanliness and hate clutter and so throws away useless things. The point being, however, that it doesn't make sense for Sheldon to hoard dirty old toothbrushes because of his germaphobic nature. However, it makes sense for him to form emotional bonds towards other things (such as comics and collectibles) and hoard those. Don't know what the tptb was going for, but it completely fell flat, that's for sure.
In regards to the toothbrush thing: Sheldon probably sterilizes things like that before he puts them in the storage facility.
For me, this episode was an easy three dirty socks. The silence of the audience echoed in my office. I could feel how awkward people were feeling as Sheldon related his anguish about his 'failing'. It was drawn out way too long, making the scenes hard for the audience to engage with as they were probably wondering when (if?) the punchline was supposed to come in (needing desperately to know that somewhere in this mess they still have the right to laugh at something that is so tragic). Jim played his role seriously (and well, given the scenario), and the humour just couldn't raise the spirits of the scenes. This wouldn't be so problematic if this show was anything BUT A BLOODY SITCOM! But as it is, this was another huge blunder a la Arctic experiment when the writers have missed the beat of what's funny and what's actually pretty serious shit.
Let's go exploring!
The following 7 users Like wellplayedpenny's post:
  • CassandraElise, Gamma, Serpent In Red, Toad, Nutz, devilbk, CTR69
I too find the notion of Sheldon being encumbered with a "Fortress of Shame" galling. Half a point to the writers though for at least TRYING to put a quirky spin on the ghastliness. He hoards...neatly. Gah!

I prefer the days when Sheldon had delightfully eccentric, sitcom-friendly phobias. To wit...

[Image: KV9tajk.jpg]

and...

If there are Latin names for such phobias and support groups and reality television shows dedicated to the sufferers, I'd prefer not to know about it.
OH PLEASE...
The following 2 users Like Toad's post:
  • Idle Miscreant, wellplayedpenny