A passionate and impulsive woman.
I think the comparison with A & B makes me like Leslie a lot more than I otherwise would. Compared to them, she's awesome. If I had nothing to compare her with, I think she'd get a B or B-minus, in terms of being a believable character. At least she seems like a natural and legitimate part of the show's universe, not an interloper with an agenda.

A&B are absolutely nothing but conduits for TPBT's bizarre ideas and values. IMO the Amy from her very first episode could've been okay as a minor character, but B. has *never* been a full-fledged character. She's the guest star who stayed for six years. First she was a Mary Sue and now she's breathtakingly rancid bitch. I have nothing against MR as an actor, but this character is just not believable on any level. It's not for nothing that I'm always comparing her to a cartoon or a Muppet. I can barely even *hate* her, because she's not a person, just a collection of tropes. Her character is paper-thin to the point where I still have trouble processing that she exists.

There are times when Leslie says things that sound a bit artificial, but she *is* a character in her own right, not just a plot device. She wasn't introduced for the sole purpose of being a love interest and she's not there to disrupt the dynamic of the 5.

The idea that TPTB "didn't know how to write for the character" sounds suspiciously like "writing a female character who is even *somewhat* beliveable or likeable is too hard, we don't want to try." I have never, ever seen a show that is so agenda-driven, before. TPBT adhere to their agenda like it's a religion, and the agenda is that women are insecure and/or controlling.

TBH, I am someone who usually doesn't care much about female characters, one way or the other, and I don't get very worked-up about their portrayal. But TPBT are really, really, REALLY abysmal at writing female characters, and I say that as someone who usually doesn't care much about that issue.

A and B are a ghastly, monstrous grab-bag of stereotypes and things that no human being would ever actually say or do, even in the exagerrated and wacky context of a sitcom.

Messages In This Thread
A passionate and impulsive woman. - by Wisp - 01-11-2014, 04:25 AM
RE: A passionate and impulsive woman. - by Toad - 01-11-2014, 09:46 AM
RE: A passionate and impulsive woman. - by Wisp - 01-11-2014, 10:46 PM
RE: A passionate and impulsive woman. - by Wisp - 02-12-2014, 09:58 PM
RE: A passionate and impulsive woman. - by Toad - 02-18-2014, 09:56 AM
RE: A passionate and impulsive woman. - by Nutz - 03-12-2014, 03:03 AM
RE: A passionate and impulsive woman. - by Nutz - 03-12-2014, 11:52 AM
RE: A passionate and impulsive woman. - by Louise - 09-20-2014, 09:52 PM
RE: A passionate and impulsive woman. - by Louise - 09-21-2014, 08:38 AM
RE: A passionate and impulsive woman. - by Louise - 09-22-2014, 02:41 PM
RE: A passionate and impulsive woman. - by Louise - 10-31-2014, 09:00 AM