A passionate and impulsive woman.
Cut-and-paste scriptwriting. Apparently, there was talk that a bunch of TaaHM scripts were 'repurposed' for the show, and I can absolutely believe it.

I realised that I can tell a Chuck Lorre 'comedy' from another room, simply from the voice cadence of the actors with a typical script. Chilling.
The following 1 user Likes SpaceAnJL's post:
  • Jislane35
(02-12-2014, 10:00 PM)SpaceAnJL Wrote: Cut-and-paste scriptwriting. Apparently, there was talk that a bunch of TaaHM scripts were 'repurposed' for the show, and I can absolutely believe it.

I realised that I can tell a Chuck Lorre 'comedy' from another room, simply from the voice cadence of the actors with a typical script. Chilling.

What do you think the show would've been like without the addition of AFF?
Interesting question. I think the concept of the character was always destined to turn up, given the failed pilot. But it failed for reasons, none of which the showrunners were willing to let go of, only delay introduction. I honestly think she is an awful writing decision that shouldn't have happened, and has been atrociously handled. Abruptly introducing a new character into the heart of the cast badly unbalanced the structure.

Without her - the Bernadette/Howard storylines would have been accelerated, but I think we'd have had exactly the same lame, tired L/P mess. Sheldon would have just been peculiar in his own individual way, not forced into such a regressive childlike state. I hope. Though maybe you'd have had the same scatalogical humour and even more random drunken trouser-dropping.
The following 2 users Like SpaceAnJL's post:
  • Jislane35, Idle Miscreant
Leonard, Sheldon & Penny were the Kirk, Spock & McCoy of the show. Nothing should have been allowed to permanently alter that triad. Adding Amy was like adding Yoko Ono and disrupting the chemistry of the Beatles.
The following 6 users Like FlyingMonkey's post:
  • Jislane35, Tuesday Pajamas, Trust No One, Idle Miscreant, muaaimoi, Jomi25
(02-12-2014, 10:40 PM)SpaceAnJL Wrote: Interesting question. I think the concept of the character was always destined to turn up, given the failed pilot. But it failed for reasons, none of which the showrunners were willing to let go of, only delay introduction. I honestly think she is an awful writing decision that shouldn't have happened, and has been atrociously handled. Abruptly introducing a new character into the heart of the cast badly unbalanced the structure.

Without her - the Bernadette/Howard storylines would have been accelerated, but I think we'd have had exactly the same lame, tired L/P mess. Sheldon would have just been peculiar in his own individual way, not forced into such a regressive childlike state. I hope. Though maybe you'd have had the same scatalogical humour and even more random drunken trouser-dropping.

I was thinking the same thing but hey it would've been a little less damaging than the crap we're getting now and Lenny would've gotten really old with fans much sooner while most would've demanded TPTB to either bring back Stephanie (loved her) or hook him up with Alice or even Alex for a change, basically anyone who'd have a better chance with Leonard and a LOT more in common with him. A lot of fans can't stand to see him with Penny anymore because she's such a 'bitch' to him while some other die-hard Leonard fans still believe that he 'deserves' to have her be rewarded to him (oh okay so she's a piece of property now?) no matter how annoyed they are with her, they just think she's hot enough for their idol. Like I've mentioned before in some other posts if you only care for one person in the ship then you're not doing it right.

I personally think Raj would've been better off with Bernie, I could also imagine Howard handling the single life a little easier than Raj does now and would've been less of a hassle for him when going off to space especially if he'd have wanted to go a second time. And if he'd have gotten the chance to travel forward in time and witness his married self he'd have definitely backed off and let Raj take the lead on wooing Bernie.

Yeah they could've either strictly kept Amy the way she was before as her earlier character from the season 3 finale all the way to pre-season 4 who was pretty much a bootlegged version of Sheldon and have shown her as a secondary character OR just brought her in as a one time character (ex. the date with Sheldon didn't go well so they never saw each other again after that and he gave Howard and Raj triple strikes for creating a fake online dating profile behind his back). All I know is that he would've stayed a happy single man who's only mistress was science and would occasionally make unconsciously raunchy comments around Penny. Period.

It's very embarrassing to see how dramatic the edit of AFF became to be during the final episode of season 3, to the early episodes of season 4, mid-season 4 and now. HUMONGOUS difference. Which is why whenever I hear others say 'OMG they have so much in common with each other they're just meant to be!' Those two are no longer alike: WTF. Those two just plain stopped being identical the minute she laid her eyes on Zack and even during that episode she admitted to not feeling any sort of physical attraction towards Sheldon and agreed with him on them having a relationship of the mind now she suddenly wants to jump his bones? What the...??? Just cause they're freakishly smart and socially awkward automatically makes them perfect for each other? *shakes head* This show makes every pairing a cookie-cutter effect.

The origin of the relationship agreement was the most stupidest thing ever.
The following 9 users Like Jislane35's post:
  • queenoftheDales, devilbk, FlyingMonkey, FranEssi, Trust No One, Berliner, muaaimoi, Nutz, Jomi25
I heard that the writers didn't know how to write for Leslie Winkle. We've said this before elsewhere, but that just indicates they need more strong female writers. I'm sure Sara Gilbert could have taken on that role. I've always loved her cynical, acerbic wit. No wonder she walked! There is something about the writing of TBBT that indicates a pre-feminist mentality. I also find it disconcerting how they keep the men, adolescent. Maybe that indicates a pre-adult writing mentality! I read that Mayim said, she knew women like Amy! Has anyone in the real world met someone like Amy? Because I find her creepy, clingy, and she smells of her dead grandma's clothes!(not a look, or personality anyone would choose, I'd have thought!).
The following 2 users Like ricardo shillyshally's post:
  • Jislane35, muaaimoi
(02-14-2014, 12:53 AM)pilot fish Wrote: I heard that the writers didn't know how to write for Leslie Winkle. We've said this before elsewhere, but that just indicates they need more strong female writers. I'm sure Sara Gilbert could have taken on that role. I've always loved her cynical, acerbic wit. No wonder she walked! There is something about the writing of TBBT that indicates a pre-feminist mentality. I also find it disconcerting how they keep the men, adolescent. Maybe that indicates a pre-adult writing mentality! I read that Mayim said, she knew women like Amy! Has anyone in the real world met someone like Amy? Because I find her creepy, clingy, and she smells of her dead grandma's clothes!(not a look, or personality anyone would choose, I'd have thought!).

That's just standard sitcom 101. Easy to write and lots of previous scripts to recycle. That's what makes the show's direction so depressing. It was fresh & unique for about three seasons then they just got lazy. It's now just about silly men and the women who love them anyway. Pablum for the dumbed down viewers. Yawn.
The following 4 users Like FlyingMonkey's post:
  • Trust No One, Jislane35, ricardo shillyshally, muaaimoi
(02-14-2014, 01:36 AM)FlyingMonkey Wrote: That's just standard sitcom 101. Easy to write and lots of previous scripts to recycle. That's what makes the show's direction so depressing. It was fresh & unique for about three seasons then they just got lazy. It's now just about silly men and the women who love them anyway. Pablum for the dumbed down viewers. Yawn.

I thought Leslie could have been a great character if not for the Dr. Dumbass every 5 seconds. It got real old. I've never meet anyone like the Amy character and I would have run far away if I did.

(02-12-2014, 11:09 PM)FlyingMonkey Wrote: Leonard, Sheldon & Penny were the Kirk, Spock & McCoy of the show. Nothing should have been allowed to permanently alter that triad. Adding Amy was like adding Yoko Ono and disrupting the chemistry of the Beatles.

Yoko is pretty much spot on.
The following 2 users Like Trust No One's post:
  • Jislane35, muaaimoi
The thing is, strong female writers would presumably want little things like, I dunno, a bloody surname for Penny, perhaps? Or female characters who weren't simply dumb or desperate? I don't get how any sane adult female would look at Leonard and put up with his crap for more than a five minute conversation. He exudes neediness, and that is hideously unattractive. Plus once you met his mother...just, no.

The trend in comedy to cater to this kind of dumbass manchild annoys me. Presumably it is because out here in the real world, women can't be doing with them. It has nothing to do with the hobbies, guys - as Aaron Altman put it in 'Broadcast News'

"Wouldn't this be a great world if insecurity and desperation made us more attractive? If "needy" were a turn-on?"

Really, it absolutely isn't.

edit to add: I've met people who have personality traits in common with Amy. That over-invested SWF vibe. Run fast and far. If one of them latches on, they drive everyone else away. If I met her, I'd start with pepper spray and escalate.
The following 2 users Like SpaceAnJL's post:
  • Jislane35, muaaimoi
(02-12-2014, 11:09 PM)FlyingMonkey Wrote: Leonard, Sheldon & Penny were the Kirk, Spock & McCoy of the show. Nothing should have been allowed to permanently alter that triad. Adding Amy was like adding Yoko Ono and disrupting the chemistry of the Beatles.
Slight tangent, but I think Yoko got a hard time. She had some radical conceptual ideas(check out her early art), she is strong and intelligent(and independently wealthy). I came to realise that she helped John grow, and release his own creativity, which I see may have strained relations in The Beatles, or maybe brought about the inevitable! Amy, has had the opposite effect on Sheldon. I hear they've had to buy him velcro shoes!
The following 2 users Like ricardo shillyshally's post:
  • Jislane35, devilbk