Vintage Haven: Strictly Old Episode Discussion
[Image: 2cwsjzd.jpg]
"You're welcome."

I love this pic and that scene. I love when Howard/SH shows just how deep his voice can go. I'm always fascinated when a small person has an incongruously big/deep voice. (Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra...)

IDK why I like Howard so much, I just do. I've always had a major soft spot for short/skinny guys, all my life. And I like mischievous characters, a lot. I like "scoundrel" characters.

I think the main reason I like him, though, is that he's very mercurial and dynamic. His face is super-expressive, he's very lively and animated. He has all of these very specific gestures/mannerisms, etc. The fact that he can look so different off-screen is also fascinating; he's kind of a chameleon.

It's hard to write about him in fanfic, because it's such a visual performance. IMO we never truly get inside Howard's head, although we know his struggles and insecurities and motivations pretty well.

I have a pattern of liking secondary characters or supporting characters more than the main character. I always do this. Of course, main characters are sometimes designed to be sort of a blank slate or an "everyman", which is supposed to make them relatable, but IMO can often backfire and make them boring. Thus, the supporting characters seem more vivid and interesting. But Sheldon's not a blank slate, so IDK.

I've certainly related to Sheldon at times, and I can't say I've ever related to Howard, but Howard is very attention-grabbing, to me, and for some reason I have a tendency to immediately zero-in on just one or two characters in any given show/movie/fandom.

If Sheldon is the intellect, then Howard is a character for your Id. Wink

(although, Sheldon has a way of doing exactly what he wants, exactly *how* he wants, when he wants it, which is also deeply appealing, in a way.)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Vintage Haven: Strictly Old Episode Discussion - by Louise - 11-10-2014, 02:42 PM