Vintage Haven: Strictly Old Episode Discussion
(11-05-2014, 08:40 PM)Who? Wrote: Sugar on fries? SUGAR ON FRIES?

Sweet fries. Sweet pizza. Sweet crackers. They're firmly convinced that their food is "too spicy" for Westerners, but they ruin every cuisine they get their hands on, by dumbing it down and making it sweeter and blander. The food selection here is dire.

Oh, and they think charred/burned food gives you cancer, so they'll put raw bacon in your sandwich if you don't stop them, and they won't cook it thoroughly even if you beg them.

And yet they're constantly *warning* me that such-and-such totally innocuous food is "too spicy" for me, for absolutely no reason except that I'm white.

I'm not saying these things to be offensive or overly critical; they're true. Korea never met a super-sweet and childish food fad it didn't like. Popcorn on ice cream? Yup! Popcorn *on* ice cream. Whipped cream on beer. You name it.

Make no mistake; culture shock is real, and in some ways, this place is very, very disconcerting for a Westerner, and it goes much deeper than just food...

Messages In This Thread
RE: Vintage Haven: Strictly Old Episode Discussion - by Louise - 11-05-2014, 08:48 PM