Vintage Haven: Strictly Old Episode Discussion
Oddly, it isn't actually one of my favourites - maybe because I like smart people owning everybody else in the room, possibly with an edge of charming asshole to them. I'll take a competent snarker over a sweet-natured idiot. They were definitely playing with the 'Forrest Gump' vibe for Sheldon in this. It's a shame that one of the many aspects that has disappeared from his character was that ability to turn his hand to anything very quickly - it seemed entirely likely that Vintage Sheldon could and would learn an difficult language out of boredom, or pick up the basics of fish-breeding practically overnight. Being a bad driver was entirely within character, though - too much going on, too many possibilities going through his head.

Also - there is nothing quite like the poison of academic rivalry. Sheldon is only saying out loud what many of Gablehauser's other colleagues (the ones without lucrative publishing deals or tv careers) mutter to each other in the privacy of their offices.
The following 1 user Likes SpaceAnJL's post:
  • Gamma

Sheldon and Penny's first shopping trip. Sheldon is so excited to be around the "ordinary people".

And thank YOU, ordinary person!Big Grin

I like Leonard in these older episodes. He's humoring his quirky friend (he also said Sheldon was one of the great minds of the twenty-first century) rather than treating Sheldon like a roadblock to being normal. He genuinely cared about Sheldon's work and his career. I can see how some thought Leonard was a good friend because he was for a short period of time.

Also, was Penny always this perky?? was it phased out?
The following 4 users Like queenoftheDales's post:
  • Idle Miscreant, Gamma, Louise, wellplayedpenny
[Image: the-luminous-fish-effect-full-1.jpg]

Sheldon: Well here’s an interesting turn of events.

Leonard: What. Howard brought a date?

Sheldon: A more plausible explanation is that his work in robotics has made an amazing leap forward.

Howard: Hey, what up, science bitches? May I introduce my special lady friend, Summer.
Oh wow, oh wow, what an adventure.
The following 2 users Like Gamma's post:
  • Louise, queenoftheDales
[Image: the_luminous_fish_effect_quotes_shower_c...=460&qv=90]

[Image: 19.jpg]

[Sheldon: I don’t want my job back. I’ve spent the last three and a half years staring at greaseboards full of equations. Before that I spent four years working on my thesis. Before that I was in college, and before that, I was in the fifth grade. This is my first day off in decades, and I’m going to savour it.

[Image: hqdefault.jpg]

Leonard: Okay. I’ll let you get back to fixing your eggs.

Sheldon: I’m not just fixing my eggs, I’m fixing everyone’s eggs.

Leonard: And we all thank you.

[Image: 1x04-The-Luminous-Fish-Effect-penny-and-...00-282.jpg]

Sheldon: That was fun. Maybe tomorrow we can go to one of those big warehouse stores.

Penny: Oh, I don’t know Sheldon, it’s going to take me a while to recover from all the fun I had today.

[Image: tumblr_m7fjh3duw51rn4qwao1_r1_500.jpg]

[Image: The-Big-Bang-Theory-The-Luminous-Fish-Ef...20-480.jpg]

Sheldon: I was working with luminous fish, and I thought, hey, loom! Mom, what are you doing here?

Mrs Cooper: Leonard called me.

Sheldon: I know, but why?

Leonard: Because one of the great minds of the twenty-first century is raising glow-in-the-dark fish and weaving sarapes.

Sheldon: This is not a sarape. This is a poncho. A sarape is open at the sides, a poncho is closed, this is a poncho, and neither is a reason to call someone’s mother

[Image: The-Big-Bang-Theory-The-Luminous-Fish-Ef...20-480.jpg]

Mrs Cooper: Excuse me, Dr Gablehouser, are you busy?

Gablehouser: Well, actually….

Mrs Cooper: Sheldon, he’s just doodling, get in here

Sheldon: Dr Gablehouser.

Gablehouser: Dr Cooper.

Mrs Cooper: Let’s go, baby, we’re losing daylight.

[Image: 0558bc85902709ba19d9ff817f98bb7e.jpg]
The following 5 users Like Gamma's post:
  • Idle Miscreant, Louise, queenoftheDales, Tuesday Pajamas, Toad
Did you make that collage, Gamma?
It's all stuff I found unattended on the net.
(11-21-2014, 01:48 PM)Gamma12 Wrote: It's all stuff I found unattended on the net.[/align]

It's cute Smile
(11-19-2014, 05:07 AM)queenoftheDales Wrote: I like Leonard in these older episodes. He's humoring his quirky friend (he also said Sheldon was one of the great minds of the twenty-first century) rather than treating Sheldon like a roadblock to being normal. He genuinely cared about Sheldon's work and his career. I can see how some thought Leonard was a good friend because he was for a short period of time.

Also, was Penny always this perky?? was it phased out?

The official story is that they decided to 'make her more human' which involved adding a lot of cynicism to her character and a back story of bullying. When I watch old episodes I don't believe for a minute that this Penny was a high school bully - and I don't see any of it as an improvement ConfusedAngry

Watched The Maternal Congruence the other night and it struck me how much the dynamic has changed between Sheldon and Leonard. Sheldon was more arrogant and this is what made him so funny. No one can actually get away with that behaviour and Leonard was the audiences reaction. He was a long suffering foil. It gave him a role on the show and made him a sympathetic character we could feel sorry for.

I really miss laughing at Leonard's expense Big Grin it made me like him.

________

Beverley: Oh, speaking of fathers, Leonard, that reminds me, I’m divorcing yours.

Leonard: What?

Beverley: Yes. He was cheating on me.

Leonard: No!

Beverley: Yes, with some waitress from the university cafeteria. Can you believe it? A waitress? Oh, no offense, dear.

Penny: No, it sounded like a compliment.

Leonard: When did this happen?

Beverley: Mmm, well, let’s see. Sheldon, when did I leave Leonard’s father?

Sheldon: September 22nd.

Beverley: Oh, yes, that’s right. The weekend after Leonard’s dog died.

Leonard: Mitzy’s dead?

Sheldon: She was old and blind, Leonard. What choice did we have?
The following 4 users Like Tuesday Pajamas's post:
  • Idle Miscreant, Gamma, queenoftheDales, wellplayedpenny

I was watching the Cornhusker Vortex tonight and I forgotten how much of a real person Sheldon use to be. Certainly he was different and quirky but he was not cartoon. Current Sheldon is an infantile clown. ( Its been a while since I have watched this episode because of the whining jealous Leonard and his "bonding" with Penny's friends moments.)

[Image: sheldon.jpg]

Leonard: When are you going to stop making Cylon toast?

Sheldon: When I have enough to destroy all the human toast on the battlestar known as Galactica. Is that what you’re wearing to watch football at Penny’s?

Leonard: What’s wrong with a football jersey?

Sheldon: Nothing. That, however, appears to be a football cocktail dress.

Leonard: I’s the smallest size they had, except the one for dogs. I can’t believe they had one for dogs.

Sheldon: Oh, yes. Canine football fans are a common sight in Texas. Cats, however, refuse to wear sporting apparel. My sister found that out the hard way.
The following 1 user Likes Gamma's post:
  • queenoftheDales
Cornhusker is one of my faves because it explores the Howard-Raj relationship. It's *actual* character development, not "let's gut the characters of everything that made them funny and call it character development." It's Howard learning to have more empathy for Raj and
more respect for their friendship. It shows how beautiful their friendship can be, if they both manage to stop being snarky for a moment and relax.

Of course, H. eventually reverts to form, which is a rather annoying cop-out on the part of the writers, but it's still an interesting ep. which shows that a sitcom *can* address meaningful topics without warping the characters or getting overly grim and weepy, or losing that light, comedic tone.

Sorry, I have a one-track mind Wink
The following 1 user Likes Louise's post:
  • Gamma