Vintage Haven: Strictly Old Episode Discussion
Sheldon and Leonard and the Inclined Plane

[Image: 35259g6.jpg]

Leonard: I guess we’ll just bring it up ourselves.
Sheldon: I hardly think so.
Leonard: Why not?
Sheldon: Well, we don’t have a dolly, or lifting belts, or any measurable upper body strength.

[Image: 33p7g54.jpg]

Leonard: We don’t need strength, we’re physicists. We are the intellectual descendents of Archimedes. Give me a fulcrum and a lever and I can move the Earth, it’s just a matter… (starts to move package) I don’t have this… I don’t have this I don’t have this.
Sheldon: Archimedes would be so proud.
Leonard: Do you have any ideas?
Sheldon: Yes, but they all involve a green lantern and a power ring.

[Image: 30xamm9.jpg]

Leonard: Easy, easy (package falls) Okay! Now we’ve got an inclined plane. The force required to lift is reduced by the sine of the angle of the stairs, call it thirty degrees, so about half.
Sheldon: Exactly half.
Leonard (snarkily): Exactly half.

[Image: fctq9s.jpg]

Leonard: Let’s push. Okay, see, it’s moving, this is easy, all in the math.

[Image: 538c41.jpg]

Sheldon: What’s your formula for the corner.
Leonard: What? Oh, okay, uh, okay, yeah, no problem, just come up here and help me pull and turn.

[Image: 4h5nc1.gif]

[Image: 2r24238.jpg]

[Image: 2v2wlc6.jpg]

T-shirt comes in sizes XS - XXL. Ahem, moving on.

[Image: i3ayrt.jpg]

Sheldon: You do understand that our efforts here will in no way increase the odds of you having sexual congress with this woman?
Leonard: Men do things for women without expecting sex.
Sheldon: Yeah, those are men who just had sex.
Leonard: I’m doing this to be a good neighbour. In any case, there’s no way it could lower the odds.

[Image: 21n2sld.gif]

Leonard: Almost there, almost there, almost there.
Sheldon: No we’re not, no we’re not, no we’re not.
OH PLEASE...
The following 5 users Like Toad's post:
  • devilbk, Gamma, queenoftheDales, Idle Miscreant, Louise
This was just a great scene. And no way does Sheldon not understand human interaction or sexuality. I always loved him when he was being the snarky, weary onlooker to Leonard's 'crashing into geek mountain.'
The following 3 users Like SpaceAnJL's post:
  • Toad, devilbk, Idle Miscreant
I know that scene by heart and still laugh every time I watch it. The whole episode has absolutely no weaknesses. Although Sheldon and Leoanard had the best scenes, Howard was pretty cool too:

[Image: tumblr_m6gsvkcrwe1qj74sxo1_500.gif]
Man darf nicht das, was uns unwahrscheinlich und unnatürlich erscheint, mit dem verwechseln, was absolut unmöglich ist. - Carl Friedrich Gauß
The following 3 users Like Berliner's post:
  • Louise, Toad, queenoftheDales
жаба имеет слишком много времени на руках
(Translation: Toad has too much time on her hands)

Right, okay, so according to Google Translate this is (flawless) Russian for "You are so beautiful."

вы очень красивы
(vy ochen' krasivy)

However the wiki page curiously asserts that the line is: Ты очень красивая девушка

Which when plugged into Translate returns: You're a very pretty girl

Pshaw. I HARDLY think Howard Wolowitz is going to be offering such an insipid blandishment.

Anyone here familiar with the Cyrillic-based languages who can settle this matter of urgent urgency?

[Image: 121ye02.jpg]
OH PLEASE...
The following 2 users Like Toad's post:
  • Louise, Gamma
You mean Howard's language skills aren't as flawless as he claims? Shock, amaze! Tongue

I once found a Howard/Missy fic on AO3 that was written in Italian. I strongly suspect that Howard wrote it... Tongue

Howard would totally write thinly-disguised self-insert fanfic starring himself and Katee Sackhoff or whoever his dreamgirl of the moment might be...
[Image: CerealL.jpg]

Sheldon: No, it hurt… (looking around) Great Caesar’s Ghost, look at this place?

Leonard: So Penny’s a little messy.

Sheldon: A little messy? The Mandelbrot set of complex numbers is a little messy, this is chaos. Excuse me, explain to me an organisational system where a tray of flatware on a couch is valid. I’m just inferring that this is a couch, because the evidence suggests the coffee table’s having a tiny garage sale.

Leonard: Did it ever occur to you that not everyone has the compulsive need to sort, organise and label the entire world around them?

Sheldon: No.

[Image: LeanL.jpg]

Leonard: Are you insane, you can’t just break into a woman’s apartment in the middle of the night and clean.

Sheldon: I had no choice. I couldn’t sleep knowing that just outside my bedroom was our living room, and just outside our living room was that hallway, and immediately adjacent to that hallway was… this.

Leonard: Do you realise that if Penny wakes up, there is no reasonable explanation as to why we’re here?

Sheldon: I just gave you a reasonable explanation.

Leonard: No, no. You gave me an explanation, it’s reasonableness will be determined by a jury of your peers.

Sheldon: Don’t be ridiculous. I have no peers

[Image: tumblr_mvlf8sMJGP1qasxjlo3_500.gif]
Oh wow, oh wow, what an adventure.
The following 3 users Like Gamma's post:
  • Toad, Idle Miscreant, queenoftheDales
(11-14-2014, 08:33 AM)Louise Wrote: You mean Howard's language skills aren't as flawless as he claims? Shock, amaze! Tongue

I once found a Howard/Missy fic on AO3 that was written in Italian. I strongly suspect that Howard wrote it... Tongue

Howard would totally write thinly-disguised self-insert fanfic starring himself and Katee Sackhoff or whoever his dreamgirl of the moment might be...

Howard and my Missy? Who is this person that wrote this so I can talk to them nicely of course. sass
(11-14-2014, 09:24 AM)ses1515 Wrote: Howard and my Missy? Who is this person that wrote this so I can talk to them nicely of course. sass

Simmer down, Ses. I'm the Future Mrs.Wolowitz™, remember? Wink So, no worries...
The following 1 user Likes Louise's post:
  • Trust No One
(11-14-2014, 09:43 AM)Louise Wrote: Simmer down, Ses. I'm the Future Mrs.Wolowitz™, remember? Wink So, no worries...

You are right Louise. No way Howard and Missy does that to us. Wink
The following 1 user Likes Trust No One's post:
  • Louise
Big Bran is one of the episodes I'm looking at for my paper since it's so rich. The characterization. The plotting. Dialogue. Okay and it's one of my favorites.... Blush
Let's go exploring!
The following 1 user Likes wellplayedpenny's post:
  • Louise