Vintage Haven: Strictly Old Episode Discussion
Yayyyyy, Toad! Big Grin
"1. A theoretical device to measure humor is a __________.
2. Howard gushes "Destiny, thy name is __________."
3. Missy relates how Sheldon once tried to build an __________ to keep her out of his room.
4. Leonard claims he uses superhero underwear to polish his __________.
5. Leonard offers Missy gherkins and __________.
6. Raj brags that Indians invented __________ and wrote the __________.
7. Howard warns Raj that he was __________ champion at Math Camp.
8. Sheldon tells Missy he's refocused his research from bosonic string theory to __________ string theory.
9. Missy tells Sheldon she's always bragging about her brother, the __________."

I can't bloody remember #7! (Without cheating) But I got all the rest, so huzzah! I don't know if that's sad or not.

Now, I don't know where to put this. Yes I'm a mod. (shut up)
Toad found this splendid picture, and provided the quotes, so I put them in little bubbles (not as good as PJ's but I'm learning dammit), and now we're ushered into a new era of awful medieval bastardisations.
Blame Toad.

[Image: B2DuaMnCYAAITsT.jpg]
"WHERE THE HELL'S MY PARACHUTE?"
The following 1 user Likes Idle Miscreant's post:
  • Toad
[Image: 2cwsjzd.jpg]
"You're welcome."

I love this pic and that scene. I love when Howard/SH shows just how deep his voice can go. I'm always fascinated when a small person has an incongruously big/deep voice. (Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra...)

IDK why I like Howard so much, I just do. I've always had a major soft spot for short/skinny guys, all my life. And I like mischievous characters, a lot. I like "scoundrel" characters.

I think the main reason I like him, though, is that he's very mercurial and dynamic. His face is super-expressive, he's very lively and animated. He has all of these very specific gestures/mannerisms, etc. The fact that he can look so different off-screen is also fascinating; he's kind of a chameleon.

It's hard to write about him in fanfic, because it's such a visual performance. IMO we never truly get inside Howard's head, although we know his struggles and insecurities and motivations pretty well.

I have a pattern of liking secondary characters or supporting characters more than the main character. I always do this. Of course, main characters are sometimes designed to be sort of a blank slate or an "everyman", which is supposed to make them relatable, but IMO can often backfire and make them boring. Thus, the supporting characters seem more vivid and interesting. But Sheldon's not a blank slate, so IDK.

I've certainly related to Sheldon at times, and I can't say I've ever related to Howard, but Howard is very attention-grabbing, to me, and for some reason I have a tendency to immediately zero-in on just one or two characters in any given show/movie/fandom.

If Sheldon is the intellect, then Howard is a character for your Id. Wink

(although, Sheldon has a way of doing exactly what he wants, exactly *how* he wants, when he wants it, which is also deeply appealing, in a way.)
So much of 'Howard' can be put down to the fact that Simon Helberg has superb comic timing and delivery. I have no idea why he's never been nominated for or won the Supporting Actor category, because he's a brilliant foil who lifts other actors when he's in a scene. And yes, he works incredibly well as the Trickster, commenting on the main action, sometime stirring it up.

The great thing about him was that optimistic opportunism - he was slightly skeevy in his attempts to chat up women, but he was never threatening. When he got shot down, he just shrugged cheerfully and carried on. Weirdly innocent, too. He knows he's a short, skinny guy, but he's comfortable in his skin, in a way Leonard is not. Howard owns his geekery, he's proud to display crossed lightsabers, to talk about his work with robots. His confidence might be slightly misplaced on occasion, but a lot of the time he's being funny on purpose, and he has a bizarre charm of his own.
The following 3 users Like SpaceAnJL's post:
  • Louise, Lollywho, Berliner
[Image: 2d9pnuw.gif]
[Image: 2mz0ied.gif]
[Image: 23u75s7.gif]
[Image: 67jdco.gif]
[Image: 2dvo6ex.gif]
[Image: 16jps0y.gif]
[Image: 15f5a2x.gif]
[Image: nmjbra.gif]
OH PLEASE...
The following 4 users Like Toad's post:
  • Louise, Idle Miscreant, queenoftheDales, Gamma
So cute! Blossom
(11-11-2014, 08:33 AM)Louise Wrote: So cute! Blossom

As they say...you're welcome. Tongue
OH PLEASE...
First of all, big thanks to Toad for picking up the slack when I wasn't able to follow through with my plans for last week's discussion:

(Yes, I know this looks more like a frog than a Toad.)
[Image: s1849j.jpg]

And thanks to everyone else who posted! Blossom

This week's episode is...

[Image: 2088qia.jpg]

Sooo...discuss, review, post pics, do whatever you feel like.

[Image: 11sjoux.jpg]
The following 2 users Like Louise's post:
  • Idle Miscreant, Nutz
^ This is my favourite episode to date. Just perfectly executed and sooo funny.
"If you have time to lean, you have time to clean." - instant classic. Big Grin

[Image: tumblr_mfaefmcAXu1qasxjlo1_500.gif]

[Image: 2TheBigBranHypothesis7.gif]

[Image: tumblr_lya27syu5W1qjstdno1_500.gif]

[Image: tumblr_l8idoyZPKI1qdubemo1_400.gif]

[Image: tumblr_lvc0nh2edj1r5sn1vo3_250.gif]

[Image: Sarcasm.jpg]
Man darf nicht das, was uns unwahrscheinlich und unnatürlich erscheint, mit dem verwechseln, was absolut unmöglich ist. - Carl Friedrich Gauß
The following 3 users Like Berliner's post:
  • Louise, wellplayedpenny, Idle Miscreant
Not sure if this was already posted somewhere, but I found a cartoon version of this ep's opening scene. Not especially well-done, but a cute effort, I guess:

The following 1 user Likes Louise's post:
  • queenoftheDales