Vintage Haven: Strictly Old Episode Discussion
Why haven't they ever brought Missy back?
(11-07-2014, 01:33 AM)FlyingMonkey Wrote: Why haven't they ever brought Missy back?

She rejected Leonard. So Missy bad, Leonard good.
Man darf nicht das, was uns unwahrscheinlich und unnatürlich erscheint, mit dem verwechseln, was absolut unmöglich ist. - Carl Friedrich Gauß
The following 1 user Likes Berliner's post:
  • Trust No One
Quote:Louise, thanks for the pictures of my girl. Blossom

You're very welcome, Ses! I had you in mind Wink
I haven't rewatched this episode yet, so I'm going off of memory here.

Besides Sheldon, Missy is my favorite part of this episode. I think, that every interaction Sheldon has had with every female up until this point, has been entertaining. Sheldon and Missy has what seems to be a typical sibling dynamic and the actors timing with each other is seamless and natural. Missy could have been a more active recurring character like Mary for the show. Penny could have used a sass partner to antagonize Sheldon with.

[Image: tumblr_mqzctubay71sp0cpeo3_250.gif]

The guys trying to woo Missy seems like a precursor to The Terminator Decoupling. Howard's charm fails, Raj's mutuism eventually becomes his undoing and Leonard's nice guy shtick falls painfully short. Eventually it leads to a scuffle and Alpha Sheldon has to come breakup the nonsense.

Overall this episode gets a BlossomBlossom from me Smile
The following 2 users Like queenoftheDales's post:
  • Idle Miscreant, FlyingSolo
(11-07-2014, 10:12 AM)queenoftheDales Wrote: I haven't rewatched this episode yet, so I'm going off of memory here.

Besides Sheldon, Missy is my favorite part of this episode. I think, that every interaction Sheldon has had with every female up until this point, has been entertaining. Sheldon and Missy has what seems to be a typical sibling dynamic and the actors timing with each other is seamless and natural. Missy could have been a more active recurring character like Mary for the show. Penny could have used a sass partner to antagonize Sheldon with.

[Image: tumblr_mqzctubay71sp0cpeo3_250.gif]

The guys trying to woo Missy seems like a precursor to The Terminator Decoupling. Howard's charm fails, Raj's mutuism eventually becomes his undoing and Leonard's nice guy shtick falls painfully short. Eventually it leads to a scuffle and Alpha Sheldon has to come breakup the nonsense.

Overall this episode gets a BlossomBlossom from me Smile

I'll be posting my own thoughts later. I'm not entirely sold on Missy as a character, but that's probably because we saw so little of her, there's not much to go on. I didn't much care for the implication that being short or eccentric makes the guys inherently unworthy of Missy; even these classic episodes contain some vaguely uncomfortable messages, IMO.

I agree that she had loads of potential, though.
So I rewatched this tonight(on my digital download it is called the Shiksa Indeterminacy) I may be wrong, but isn't this the first episode that we see Leonard expose is douche side when it comes to his friends and women? He thinks he is cleverly manipulating Sheldon into taking the other guys out of action in their pursuit of Missy by appealing to Sheldon's ego. Of course Leonard's own ego didn't allow for the possibility that Sheldon wouldn't find him an acceptable partner either(for an insecure guy he can be pretty smug)

The thing about Miss rejecting the guys. I don't think you can draw the conclusion that she rejected them because they were nerds or short or something like that. The fact was that the guys were crowding her, making her uncomfortable and not being natural.

[Image: tumblr_msarspjyN41qasxjlo1_r1_500.gif]

Leonard especially didn't seem to take into consideration that his advances were not welcome. He pretty much says as much when he comes back after Missy turns him down- "Here's something we didn't anticipate". And for all of this Penny has a front row seat. That should have given her a thing or two to think of. It would have been even better if she had been able to hear the Howard/Leonard conversation about who had Penny.
[Image: tumblr_mfrnotHElc1rr72xvo1_250.gif]

I enjoyed the Raj/Leonard conversation at the beginning when they were talking about Cern coming on-line and creating a black hole. I remember people talking about that before the collider was brought on-line. I love the Missy/Sheldon interplay. It shows that no matter how unusual Sheldon's childhood was he still had the same experiences that many other kids with siblings have.
[Image: thebigbangtheory-s01e15.jpg]
Oh wow, oh wow, what an adventure.
(11-07-2014, 06:11 AM)Berliner Wrote: She rejected Leonard. So Missy bad, Leonard good.

I'm glad Missy has not returned with this show going into the dumpster.
The following 1 user Likes Trust No One's post:
  • Louise
Courtney Henggeler is a lovely actress and had some good lines here, but I could never quite reconcile her portrayal to what we previously knew about Missy. That she's a "dumb as soup" hostess at Fuddrucker's who took 6 years to graduate from high school.

Sure she's no intellectual, but she's certainly no dummy either. She's Mary Cooper's daughter alright, with a canny ability to size up a situation and set things right.

But, dear me, that accent. It's so WRONG. Yes I know it's Hollywood Southern and it's a little thing really, but it grates on me. It's too refined, too upper crust. It's Mint Juleps and Panama hats and Country Clubs. Not East Texas fundamentalism meets cheap bourbon. Laurie Metcalf gets it just about right, although even she goes a bit overboard now and then.

I DO remember though that this episode kind of cemented my love for Simon. "Oh look, I did it again." His comic timing and delivery are flawless here, and matched with Howard's, um, exuberance, make for an ultimately endearing character. For me anyway.

[Image: 2cwsjzd.jpg]
"You're welcome."
OH PLEASE...
The following 1 user Likes Toad's post:
  • Louise
(11-09-2014, 05:42 AM)Toad Wrote: But, dear me, that accent. It's so WRONG. Yes I know it's Hollywood Southern and it's a little thing really, but it grates on me. It's too refined, too upper crust. It's Mint Juleps and Panama hats and Country Clubs. Not East Texas fundamentalism meets cheap bourbon. Laurie Metcalf gets it just about right, although even she goes a bit overboard now and then.

"You're welcome."

This is so funny and so true! I don't remember Sheldon sounding Mint Julep-y when he had is Texas flashbacks, then again he was imitating Mary most of the time so who knows.....
Okay Vintage Fans, time to test your knowledge of The Porkchop Indeterminacy aka The Shiksa Indeterminacy.

[Image: 2dcho44.jpg]

1. A theoretical device to measure humor is a __________.
2. Howard gushes "Destiny, thy name is __________."
3. Missy relates how Sheldon once tried to build an __________ to keep her out of his room.
4. Leonard claims he uses superhero underwear to polish his __________.
5. Leonard offers Missy gherkins and __________.
6. Raj brags that Indians invented __________ and wrote the __________.
7. Howard warns Raj that he was __________ champion at Math Camp.
8. Sheldon tells Missy he's refocused his research from bosonic string theory to __________ string theory.
9. Missy tells Sheldon she's always bragging about her brother, the __________.

[Image: 26243na.jpg]
OH PLEASE...
The following 1 user Likes Toad's post:
  • Idle Miscreant