Vintage Haven: Strictly Old Episode Discussion
I agree with Sheldon that a movie without popcorn is pointless! Here in Korea, they don't put butter on the popcorn. This irks me Undecided
(11-01-2014, 06:07 PM)Louise Wrote: I agree with Sheldon that a movie without popcorn is pointless! Here in Korea, they don't put butter on the popcorn. This irks me Undecided

Shock Dry popcorn? That's just scandalous...
Quote:Shock Dry popcorn? That's just scandalous...

Well, it's not totally unflavored, but they don't have that liquid butter stuff, at all, and they don't have salt or salt-shakers for you to use, at all.

Korean food has a reputation for being spicy, but I've found it to be the opposite. They like things sweet and bland. Things that are supposed to be salty are sweet, here. Sugar on garlic bread, on fries, on pizza. Yes, it's horrible Dodgy

Their traditional foods are more sour than spicy, because everything is pickled/fermented/preserved. It's not necessarily bad, but it makes your mouth feel puckered.

ETA: oh, and people love dried squid as a snack, so sometimes the movie theater stinks of warm squid meat. Bleh.
Sugar on fries? SUGAR ON FRIES?
HARRISON FORD IS IRRADIATING OUR TESTICLES WITH MICROWAVE SATELLITE TRANSMISSIONS

AND WHO THE FUCK STOLE MY BOILED EGGS?
(11-05-2014, 08:40 PM)Who? Wrote: Sugar on fries? SUGAR ON FRIES?

Sweet fries. Sweet pizza. Sweet crackers. They're firmly convinced that their food is "too spicy" for Westerners, but they ruin every cuisine they get their hands on, by dumbing it down and making it sweeter and blander. The food selection here is dire.

Oh, and they think charred/burned food gives you cancer, so they'll put raw bacon in your sandwich if you don't stop them, and they won't cook it thoroughly even if you beg them.

And yet they're constantly *warning* me that such-and-such totally innocuous food is "too spicy" for me, for absolutely no reason except that I'm white.

I'm not saying these things to be offensive or overly critical; they're true. Korea never met a super-sweet and childish food fad it didn't like. Popcorn on ice cream? Yup! Popcorn *on* ice cream. Whipped cream on beer. You name it.

Make no mistake; culture shock is real, and in some ways, this place is very, very disconcerting for a Westerner, and it goes much deeper than just food...
I think Sheldon probably would feel anxious about going for a coffee, or food alone, but he wouldn't admit that, easier to make up some preposterous series of potential events. Isn't the whole idea of dressing up as someone else, is that you can become them for a while. I want to see Raj, let out his viking side, etc,(what's the point of wearing a costume otherwise?) Only Sheldon does this; as Spock, Data, The Flash, and even as The Doppler Effect.

The following 2 users Like ricardo shillyshally's post:
  • Tuesday Pajamas, queenoftheDales
"Whipped cream on beer" - holy crap! they obviously don't like savory at all.
This week's vintage episode is....

[Image: i707k9.jpg]

[Image: 2e4jgr9.jpg]

[Image: 12363vd.jpg]

[Image: 2ivboug.jpg]

[Image: 30k3ucx.jpg]

[Image: j5gokm.jpg]
The following 2 users Like Louise's post:
  • Idle Miscreant, Trust No One
(11-06-2014, 01:56 AM)Tuesday Pajamas Wrote: "Whipped cream on beer" - holy crap! they obviously don't like savory at all.

Yeah, and it's frustrating, 'cause I *do* like savory. I'm not a picky eater at all, I love spicy stuff, love all kinds of cuisines, but the food here frankly sucks.

I think it has something to do with the fact that Korea experienced years of deprivation and poverty, in the past, and now that they have prosperity, it's sort of a "kid in a candy store" mentality, with all the sweet stuff and desserts. That's my theory...
(11-06-2014, 09:46 AM)Louise Wrote: This week's vintage episode is....

[Image: i707k9.jpg]

[Image: 2e4jgr9.jpg]

[Image: 12363vd.jpg]

[Image: 2ivboug.jpg]

[Image: 30k3ucx.jpg]

[Image: j5gokm.jpg]

Louise, thanks for the pictures of my girl. Blossom
The following 1 user Likes Trust No One's post:
  • Louise