16.67%
1 16.67%
3 Dirty Socks
83.33%
5 83.33%
Total 6 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

SHAMY WARNING: 9.11 The Opening Night Excitation
Well, this was about as expected. Generally, Sheldon seems much more excited about Star Wars than sex, which I realise is the joke, but also reflects on his relationship with Amy, or his possible asexuality. It's actually kinda strange how accurate it is to things I've read from some asexuals (some say they don't dislike intimacy, they will do it sometimes for their partners). However, I don't think that mellow view quite matches the Sheldon who had a panic attack when he thought Amy was pretty and whose intimacy issues lately seem deeper than "just" a general disinterest. There seemed to be some problems there and I'm not sure how they were addressed in any way.

There is a weird conversation that Howard and Raj have whether Leonard has "ever seen a movie with Stuart before" because apparently he brings tupperware with food and 1) who cares, and actually 2) I'm pretty sure we've seen Stuart in the cinema multiple times. The two I can remember are the date with Amy and the second when he was with the whole group when Howard was in space, and both times there was no tupperware anywhere. I know sitcoms are kinda lose on canon, they will add character traits and quirks that are one-offs for comedy in some episodes, but in a well-written sitcom the trick is to choose something that could have been a trait and just not have surfaced until now rather than straight-up contradicting yourself.

I have heard more about Amy's bikini regions than I ever needed to.

The episode had some good moments. Arthur was a lot of fun, as usual. He even had kind of a touching line, considering he plays a dead guy ("You can see Star Wars whenever you want, but you only have a limited amount of days that you can be with this woman - be with her.") Too bad it was wasted on this pairing. There was a funny variation on the knocking gag with Penny and Bernadette. Will trolling the cinema in his Star Trek uniform legitimately had me grinning.

The Shamy scene in the bed before sex ("I guess we'll find out together") wasn't actually bad or anything, but it's the same problem as most of their romantic scenes this episode. It was standard Emotional Sitcom Moment dialogue. The lines could have been given to any of the other three guys in the same situation and you wouldn't have had to change them at all. Jim didn't give them a very Sheldon feel, either, although to be fair I don't really know how you could. It's like reading fanfic that isn't full of grammar errors or spelling mistakes or any other glaring writing problems, but eventually you realise that the characters are so far removed from what they are supposed to be you might as well be reading something about people who just happen to have the same names.

The mirroring of sex lines with the guys in the cinema was a bit clumsily done (Amy would say she's nervous, then one of them would, etc.). Since we only cut to them for about half a minute each time, too, it didn't seem like the stuff came up naturally, but just sort of 'haha, this also can be applied in this situation', which isn't really a joke that works twice in a row. Maybe that's just me.

Apparently, Penny coached Sheldon on sex. So there is that for you Shenny shippers. Wink
The following 9 users Like A.D.A.'s post:
  • Gamma, Tuesday Pajamas, devilbk, Idle Miscreant, Toad, FlyingSolo, Kimk26, Satnight815, Jomi25

Messages In This Thread
RE: 9.11 The Opening Night Excitation - by Gamma - 12-16-2015, 10:55 AM
RE: 9.11 The Opening Night Excitation - by A.D.A. - 12-18-2015, 02:14 PM
RE: 9.11 The Opening Night Excitation - by Jomi25 - 12-21-2015, 03:48 AM
RE: 9.11 The Opening Night Excitation - by Jomi25 - 12-25-2015, 07:03 PM
RE: 9.11 The Opening Night Excitation - by Nutz - 12-27-2015, 10:12 AM